• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blue Bulls thread

Dont worry Boet Faas I have seen this happen at Newlands also !!

Re coaching , said so back then that I cannot see how Ludeke after his crap record at the lions got the Top job in SA super rugby circles !! Absurd , the man is a failure for years at the Lions then get a Super team to coach. I see some pain for the Bulls this weekend , its not gonna be pretty and SBW is going to have a ball with Olivier at centre I'm afraid. Good luck , will be shouting for you guys though !

It's going to be tough for FL as his real coaching ability will be shown after most of the Bulls players leave after the Super 15.

Bulls in my opinion should play Danie Rossouw at flank in place of Stegman for this game.
Also get any of the young Watermeyers in place of Jaco Pretorius - honestly can anyone recall anything he did that makes him the no1 no13 in the the squad.
They have a brilliant Bjorn Basson that must be wondering what a full backline movement feels like.
Problem is the centres, two very good halves but there the game play stops; maybe Wynand Olivier should change his conditioner as it seems to make his hands slippery ;)

and... they are facing the 2 top attacking centres in the competition

Bulls in my opinion should play Danie Rossouw at flank in place of Stegman for this game.
Also get any of the young Watermeyers in place of Jaco Pretorius - honestly can anyone recall anything he did that makes him the no1 no13 in the the squad.
They have a brilliant Bjorn Basson that must be wondering what a full backline movement feels like.
Problem is the centres, two very good halves but there the game play stops; maybe Wynand Olivier should change his conditioner as it seems to make his hands slippery ;)

and... they are facing the 2 top attacking centres in the competition

You have hit the nail right on the coffin their about Bjorn I wish they can bring him into the game more as well. It's frustrating knowing he has the record for the most tries in curry cup and now he is kind off like a chaser for kicks. I really hope they can sort this out, I know that we are capable of running with the ball as shown in some of the previous victories that the Bulls achieved in 2010 etc. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Some tour news:

<O:p>
Tour diary with dr. Org Strauss
08 April 2011

Hallo!

The week is almost at end and it is hard to believe another week on tour has passed.
Everyone enjoyed our day off in Thursday. Most of the guys walked around the town and some took trips on the jet boats. Others took the time to go up the mountain to enjoy the view of the surrounding mountains and lakes.

The regular golfers were at it again. Fourie and Danie resumed their regular competition with Victor and Jaco Pretorius at the very exclusive The Hills course outside Queenstown. Fourie and Danie won the day. Myself and Pieter Rossouw also played the first leg of our Tri-Nations challenge against oom Wynie and Vlok. We came out on top at the Millbrook course, which forms part of an estate.
The highlight of the day has to be Bakkies, Dean Greyling and Steggies who went hunting on a nearby farm. Bakkies and Dean both shot a Red Stag, a famous buck in this region, while Steggies shot a ewe.

The rest of a very cold day was spending at the hotel where some guys started packing their stuff for our trip to Timaru on Friday.

Greetings from Queenstown. Org
</O:p>

Very dismal performance by the champion side the Blue Bulls on Saturday has sparked up lots of conversations over the country. With the loss the Stormers suffered at the hands of the Reds, just as much of debate has been travelling through the country. Remembering that this is only week seven people are already jumping the gun. The problems arising in the Bulls camp is blatant as it shows on the scoreboard against the Crusaders. <O:p</O:p

I would not say any alarm bells should be ringing as I suggest the best players should be chosen to represent South Africa for the World Cup. It's no use having the experience but lacking the other attributes needed to make the squad. Young players with limited experience need to be conditioned right in order to fit in key positions, if current springbok players don't pick up their A game. There is a simple way to fix the problems and many have different opinions but the best ways is to replace those players early to let them know they are not irreplaceable. <O:p></O:p>

Hopefully the players can show what they are made off in the upcoming fixtures and silence the critics. But if they can't do that I don't see them having the luxury of booking a seat at the grandest stage off all the "Rugby World Cup". Representing your country in the WC is any players dream, knowing there is someone that can replace you is the spark you need to perform. Currently it doesn't look if the players from the Bulls know this and a wakeup call got walloped in their brains on Saturday.<O:p</O:p

Good luck with preparing for Saturday's fixture against the Reds. The players need to train the body and the mind in order of rectifying their problems come game time. GOOD LUCK BULLS!<O:p</O:p

Yeah be interesting to see how things pan out against the Reds, especially as the Reds have got to comeback from SA, so that might be a drain
But then again, they played great against the Stormers, and will be happy to be home

Bulls should win the game after this, the Force have been pretty poor this season

Bulls should win the game after this, the Force have been pretty poor this season

As an amateur cricket player I have learned that the games you're really ought to win can really become the game that can haunt you. Learning this I know that you can't underestimate any oppositions on the day as they can come out and beat you when you lease accept it. I hope therefore that the Bulls don't underestimate any opposition left in their remaining tour matches and focus on getting their mind sets right. They have lots of work to do in order to win on Saturday, if they don't manage this feat their critics will surely be all over them. Do the basics and more in order to silence the critics otherwise it's going to be a long Super 15.<O:p</O:p

Bulls change five for Reds

Vodacom Bulls coach Frans Ludeke is not one who normally likes to tamper with a team, but in this case it was necessary as he announced a team that included five changes from the side that lost 27-0 to the Crusaders.

The Timaru aftershock is still being felt in the Bulls camp, so much so that Ludeke and his fellow coaches decided to rotate players â€" in their words â€" so that some stalwarts could be given a break.

The most notable of these is Fourie du Preez, who drops to the bench, with Francois Hougaard moving in from the wing to halfback, and Gerhard van den Heever coming into the side in his place.

Du Preez has been far from the tactical master he normally is, and this loss of form, coupled with the demands of the season, means that Hougaard will have the task of taming Will Genia this weekend.
Considering the Bulls have never beaten the Reds in Brisbane, a fresh approach may not be such a bad thing, and injuries to Flip van der Merwe and Jaco Pretorius has put paid to their chances of starting the game.
Bakkies Botha will be in the second row with captain Victor Matfield, with Danie Rossouw now deputising at lock in Van der Merwe’s place. Another notable change is the inclusion of Derick Kuun ahead of Deon Stegmann, as the Bulls continue their rotational policy.
Chiliboy Ralepelle comes back into the side in the place of Gary Botha, while Akona Ndungane will make a welcome return to Super Rugby for the first time since 2009 after two horrific leg injuries if he gets onto the field from the bench.
The game will also be significant as it is tighthead prop Werner Kruger’s 50th match, a long way since his 2008 debut against the Stormers.
Stephan Dippenaar replaces Pretorius in the midfield as the other change to the squad.

While a tour match is never easy, the Bulls will have to beat their own demons if they are to get their season back on track. They have been written off before, but have always managed to put together superb performances to prove their critics wrong.
The Reds are the form side in the competition, and it doesn’t get tougher than this, but this is a test of character the Bulls team needs to pass if they are to have any chance of retaining their ***le.
The team to play the Reds (with Super caps) is: Zane Kirchner (46), Gerhard van den Heever (23), Stephan Dippenaar (15), Wynand Olivier (78), Bjorn Basson (16), Morné Steyn (80), Francois Hougaard (20), Pierre Spies (63), Dewald Potgieter (38), Derick Kuün (63), Victor Matfield (116, c), Bakkies Botha (92), Werner Kruger (49), Chiliboy Ralepelle (26), Dean Greyling (6).
Replacements: Gary Botha (78), Rossouw de Klerk (5), Danie Rossouw (107), Deon Stegmann (46), Fourie du Preez (106), Francois Brummer (3), Akona Ndungane (64).
This will test the Bulls character :D

Last edited:
I think the Bulls need to adapt or die (and it is worrying that they claim they aren't concerned about their performance so far) because clearly the kick-and-chase game isn't working as:

- oposition have developed counters
- the way game are being reffed means ball retention is ALL-IMPORTANT
- they simply don't have the defence to be able to afford giving the ball away, especially with a team like the Reds that will enjoy getting the ball from deep with opposition players all over the place.
- Steyn and Du Preez aren't as accurate as they should be for it to be effective

They have moved away from what made them succesful by going overboard with this dated tactic; they used to play a territory game with a dominant line-out and kept the ball in hand more keeping it tight with the forwards before going wide faster than other SA teams and usually the ball needn't go any further than Olivier who would drift and break or the winger coming across getting fed by FdP.

- they simply don't have the defence to be able to afford giving the ball away, especially with a team like the Reds that will enjoy getting the ball from deep with opposition players all over the place.
- Steyn and Du Preez aren't as accurate as they should be for it to be effective

All points given are correct, sad but true. I hope they can salvage some pride and get back on the winning track which by looking at these points reminds me of mission impossible. Just hope like in the mission impossible movies there is hope and glimmer of getting the win at Brisbane that has not yet been achieved by a Bulls team.
For those interested this link has Dewald Potgieter and Derick Kuuns views on this past weekend's rugby.
http://www.supersport.com/rugby/blogs/dewald-potgieter/A_week_of_too_many_seconds
Feel free to share your feelings on the column via the facebook social plug-in.<O:p</O:p

Last edited:
I think the Bulls need to adapt or die (and it is worrying that they claim they aren't concerned about their performance so far) because clearly the kick-and-chase game isn't working as:

They have moved away from what made them succesful by going overboard with this dated tactic; they used to play a territory game with a dominant line-out and kept the ball in hand more keeping it tight with the forwards before going wide faster than other SA teams and usually the ball needn't go any further than Olivier who would drift and break or the winger coming across getting fed by FdP.

The thing with changing a team's style in such a drastic manner is that it means dropping some of you "incumbents" that will simply no longer make the grade. I think they'd have to drop STeyn, Olivier and extras like Dippenaar for men who can shuttle it out wide quickly and effectively but also hit the line if need be and none of those I just name have that in their locker from what I've seen before. Out of the top 6 teams on the log, and with the exception of the Sharks midfield, all have a strong link from 10 to the backs with a half that is capable of both kicking when need be but also commanding his backs and making his own breaks. Lambie is the youngest in that group and Brett is the most inconsistent for the Blues but the others are some of the most dynamic playmakers in world rugby (Carter, Cooper, Beale and I think Grant is getting there.) Going farther out wide you have Olivier who I feel has been pretty average since 09 and I didn't rate him highly back then. They have the wingers and fullback already. Maybe they also need a faster loose trio, I don't know, but something drastic and long-term needs to change if you Bulls fans want a competitive team.

Kruger plays 50th against Reds
12 April 2011

Vodacom Bulls prop Werner Kruger will play in his 50th Super Rugby match for his side when they face the Reds in Brisbane on Saturday.

Kruger made his debut in 2008 against the Stormers and will line up in the front row with Dean Greyling and Chiliboy Ralepelle, with the latter one of five changes from the side that lost to the Crusaders last weekend.
Flip van der Merwe and Jaco Pretorius picked up injuries in the Timaru clash and will not be considered for the Brisbane match.
Coach Frans Ludeke also made use of his rotational policy in giving starts to Derick Kuün and Gerhard van den Heever, with Francois Hougaard starting at scrum half for the first time this year.
Hougaard replaces Fourie du Preez, Van den Heever moves into the vacant wing berth left by Hougaard and Kuün swop places with Deon Stegmann, who moves to the bench. He will be joined by Du Preez and Akona Ndungane, who makes a welcome return to Super Rugby. He last played in 2009 and had to combat serious injury to return to this level.
Stephan Dippenaar replaces Pretorius. Ludeke said this will be the most important match of the season for the Bulls. "We will have to get points here and get back on track in order to stay in touch with the log leading teams," Ludeke said.
Its one thing to say what you have said but to execute it Mr Ludeke is a completely different story. Good luck with that!!!!!

Its realy shocking to see the bulls playing as badly as they are playin so far this season! They realy need to step up their game! And I'm a proud bulls supporter, I just hope fourie du preez gets kicked out he is realy underpreforming and is costing the bulls and he is way to slow at the breakdowns ball doesn't get to the backs quick enough, but when hougaard is playing its a nice quick paced game! All of the senior players need to set an good example on the field but it just isint happening!

Its realy shocking to see the bulls playing as badly as they are playin so far this season! They realy need to step up their game! And I'm a proud bulls supporter, I just hope fourie du preez gets kicked out he is realy underpreforming and is costing the bulls and he is way to slow at the breakdowns ball doesn't get to the backs quick enough, but when hougaard is playing its a nice quick paced game! All of the senior players need to set an good example on the field but it just isint happening!

We as supporters need to stay behind the team and hope for the best. The old players need to step up otherwise they will be under fire from critics and supporters alike. At least Du Preez gets some rest and hopefully some encouragement to start and perform.

OTHER NEWS

The Bulls need to stand up and prove that they have the desire to again be crowned Super Rugby champions this year.

And it has to start with Saturday's match against the Reds.
That is the view of coach Frans Ludeke and flank Derick Kuün, who will be wearing the No 6 jersey for the first time this year after it previously belonged to Deon Stegmann.
Ludeke says the match is one that could make or break the Bulls' season.
"This week has its own unique challenges and I'm positive that the team will react in the correct manner," Ludeke told Sport24.
"The Reds are not at the top of the log for nothing. They have developed the ability to adapt their tactics according to their opponents. We have seen it the entire season. As we saw against the Stormers, they kick the ball well behind their opponents and play for territory a lot more than in the past."
Last year the Reds attempted to run the Bulls off their feet in Brisbane and hardly ever kicked. Ludeke realises that it may again be the approach.
"They are able to carry the ball from everywhere and not afraid to do it, but I believe there has been a change in their philosophy and they are definitely kicking more."
Ludeke added that his players had responded positively to the video session and analysis of the Crusaders game.
"There is definitely renewed hope after the session. We also did good things, but could not get into the game mentally. I'm satisfied that we could force them into a lot of mistakes. We weren't consistent enough and if you want to achieve, that has to be part of your make-up. That was our focus this week."
The team is under pressure, but Ludeke says his players are reacting well.
"The desire has to be big enough to banish the negative thoughts. And the desire is there. We want to pull this one off. It's going to take a huge effort, but the guys want to win."
Kuün, who celebrated his 50th game for the Bulls with a try on the same field last year, believes it's time for the Bulls team of 2011 to show who they are. The 26-year-old flank is playing his 64th Super Rugby match.
"There are two things that are 'killing' us. The one is turnover possession at critical times and the other is execution," Kuün wrote on website supersport.com. "The team now realises that the room for mistakes is fast disappearing and we now have to start showing that we want to be champions if we still want to be in contention further down the line. It's precisely what we want to do, because that is what we want to be," said Kuün.

Every team has its highs and lows. Just stick in there

I agree :D.

LH prop Gurthrö Steenkamp was in France last Tuesday to sign a 3-year deal with Toulouse. Gary Botha will join him at Toulouse next season.

Not so good news for the Bulls :eek:.

Cheers mate, the Bulls have plnty of experience and talent should be all good.

Yeah the Bulls stand to lose a lot of players after the RWC. Those that are all but confirmed;

Fourie du Preez
Victor Matfield
Guthro Steenkamp
Bakkies Botha
Gary Botha

That said the likes of Hougaard, Van der Merwe, Ralepelle have a lot to offer and though the bulls are likely to have a bit of a dip through growing pains I don't think they'll be that much effected as they have quality back-up for most of their experienced players which may be even better than what the oldies are currently managing anyway.

With those players leaving, which will be signed as successors? Hougaard will be the new scrum half, Ralepelle will be first hooker, van der Merwe needs a partner in the second row.

I am not that well informed to the talent within the province so they might need to try and sign some overseas players. Mouritz Botha and Jacques Burger (Namibian, but okay) might be good assets. Otherwise they have to see what youngsters can step up. They still have plenty of power on the wings with Basson and van den Heever but without a good pack, they will get crushed next season

Latest posts