• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blue Bulls thread

Losing to the highlanders was a good thing in order to get players to see what they need to work on in order to rectify the problem areas. The Highlanders played superbly and deserved to by victors at the end of the rugby match.

Hopefully my team can learn to do the basics right in order to get back on track, if not ill still be supporting them. We had our tough times in previous super rugby campaigns; no matter what the outcome I will still support the Blue Bulls. The players have a bye this week we will have to wait to see if they can sort out the problems that arose in the game.<O:p</O:p

Vodacom Bulls players Gary Botha and Francois Hougaard will know on Tuesday whether they will be fit to face the Stormers next weekend.

Botha (shoulder) and Hougaard (foot) will have a fitness test on Tuesday, team doctor Org Strauss confirmed. Botha injured his shoulder in the opening match of the Bulls’ Super Rugby campaign against the Lions and has not played since. Hougaard picked up his injury pre-season and has not played any Super Rugby this year.
:)

I never understood why Gary Botha isn't being selected for the Springbok-squad anymore but second choice hooker, Ralepelle, is...

I never understood why Gary Botha isn't being selected for the Springbok-squad anymore but second choice hooker, Ralepelle, is...

Ralepelle played for PdV in age group and is being 'groomed' apparently. PdV is also getting some pressure from his higher-ups for a lack of racial transformation in the Bok squad and Ralepelle although 6th best hooker in SA isn't terrible.

The Bulls aren't my favorite SA team but an SA team never the less... I just don't get what's going on with them... and well done to the Lions :)

If that is the case, Maku would be a better option since he is a regular starter for his team at least now that he is with the Lions. O well, I guess racism will always be a factor one way or another.

The Bulls have got a hell of a lot to work on since the Highlanders game, that said more work won't change the problem (I know it should be fact, for those pedantics out there, but it isn't)
that they looked awfully tired during the game, and just didn't look up for it. It wasn't even as if it was just the ballies, the youngsters looked fatigued as well.

Wonder if they are tired of winning, mix things up a little :)

The Bulls have got a hell of a lot to work on since the Highlanders game, that said more work won't change the problem (I know it should be fact, for those pedantics out there, but it isn't)
that they looked awfully tired during the game, and just didn't look up for it. It wasn't even as if it was just the ballies, the youngsters looked fatigued as well.

Wonder if they are tired of winning, mix things up a little :)

You can bet your last buck that they will be a more motivated team facing the 'WP'. If we can get over our mental block, keep up the intensity we showed against the Highlanders and hold onto the ball we have a good shout at winning in Loftus. That said, I predict the Bulls will put the kicking game on ice and actually look to play some rugby against us LOL.

You can bet your last buck that they will be a more motivated team facing the 'WP'. If we can get over our mental block, keep up the intensity we showed against the Highlanders and hold onto the ball we have a good shout at winning in Loftus. That said, I predict the Bulls will put the kicking game on ice and actually look to play some rugby against us LOL.

The Bulls opting for a running game?
That concept hurts my brain!

For me, I think the form of Deon Stegmann hasn't been up to scratch so far, seems he still hasn't fully overcome his injury fae last year
Unless his confidence has been shot to pieces due to the NH tour

Bulls Team to face the Hurricanes

Zane Kirchner, Bjorn Basson, Jaco Pretorius, Wynand Olivier, Francois Hougaard, Morné Steyn, Fourie du Preez, Pierre Spies, Dewald Potgieter, Deon Stegmann, Victor Matfield (c), Bakkies Botha, Werner Kruger, Gary Botha, Dean Greyling.

Replacements:
Chiliboy Ralepelle, Roussouw de Klerk, Flip van der Merwe, Derick Kuün, Francois Brummer, Gerhard van den Heever, Jaco van der Westhuyzen.

OK, I read, I endured and now its my turn!

Most comments about the Bulls are correct. As ashamed as I might be, I am willing to acknowledge that they are really a bit on the other side of the tracks. I will never go to Loftus again. Been there once, saw what was going on and yeah, got spit on, nearly got beaten up, twice!! (seperate incidents) by fellows three times my size, etc. As far as the racist issues is concerned, again not my type of place. It is also sad to say that most supporters are of Afrikaans origin and as an Afrikaner myself know all to well what that entails. So I will support them, albeit from my couch. Grew up in PTA, love the place, love the Bulls, but learned the hard way that I do not fit in.

The current slump in form I attribute to coaching. I think Ludeke was surfing the crest of the Heineke(n) era till now, but with old players leaving and their mindset already in Europe or japan, and new players entering the fray, I believe his real coaching ability is shown for what it is. I never supported him taking over and I hope Heineke(n) will take over again.

Just thought I'd mention for those wondering about his lack of presence, Guthro Steenkamp is out injured, and will remain so for at least 5 weeks or so

Most comments about the Bulls are correct. As ashamed as I might be, I am willing to acknowledge that they are really a bit on the other side of the tracks. I will never go to Loftus again. Been there once, saw what was going on and yeah, got spit on, nearly got beaten up, twice!! (seperate incidents) by fellows three times my size, etc. As far as the racist issues is concerned, again not my type of place. It is also sad to say that most supporters are of Afrikaans origin and as an Afrikaner myself know all to well what that entails. So I will support them, albeit from my couch. Grew up in PTA, love the place, love the Bulls, but learned the hard way that I do not fit in.

The current slump in form I attribute to coaching. I think Ludeke was surfing the crest of the Heineke(n) era till now, but with old players leaving and their mindset already in Europe or japan, and new players entering the fray, I believe his real coaching ability is shown for what it is. I never supported him taking over and I hope Heineke(n) will take over again.

Anywhere in South Africa we have incidents were supporters get drunk or even sober and start a fight. The sad thing thought is that all supporters get seen as those types of supporters which are kind of sad come to think of it. Have to say that I haven't been to Loftus yet as I don't stays there. It's real sad to think that some of your own supporters can sometimes do such things to us in the mist of things. I on the other hand can't wait for my chance to watch a Bulls game at Loftus as I heard my buddy say it's an amazing experience.<O:p</O:p

Vodacom Bulls player Zane Kirchner has been given the green light to play against the Crusaders in Timaru on Saturday. The fullback recovered from a knee strain and will front up against the home side in the Bulls second match of their 2011 Super Rugby tour to Australasia.

There is one change to the side that opening the tour with a 26-14 win over the Hurricanes in Napier last weekend. Danie Rossouw, who missed that match because he was still in South Africa with maternity leave, has been included as a replacement as coach Frans Ludeke opted for a bench consisting of five forwards and two backs. Rossouw replaces Jaco van der Westhuyzen.
"They certainly don't come much harder than this one," Ludeke said. "The Crusaders are playing great rugby, but we have shown in the past that we never shy away from huge challenges. More importantly for us will be our own desire to improve every week. Last weekend showed massive improvement, but we will need another massive step-up to beat the Crusaders."
Vodacom Bulls captain, Victor Matfield, is urging his team to execute on the day. "On recent tours we came close in toppling the Crusaders at home. We know what we do best and if we execute that well on the day, we will be in with a real chance," Matfield said.

The Vodacom Bulls team to play the Crusaders (with Super Caps in brackets) is: Zane Kirchner (45), Bjorn Basson (15), Jaco Pretorius (42), Wynand Olivier (77), Francois Hougaard (19), Morné Steyn (79), Fourie du Preez (105), Pierre Spies (62), Dewald Potgieter (37), Deon Stegmann (45), Victor Matfield (c, 115), Bakkies Botha (91), Werner Kruger (48), Gary Botha (77), Dean Greyling (5). Replacements: Chiliboy Ralepelle (25), Rossouw de Klerk (4), Flip van der Merwe (25), Danie Rossouw (106), Derick Kuün (62), Francois Brummer (2), Gerhard van den Heever (22).

This is going to be the weekend where we see if the boys can pull a big one and win against the Crusaders which many doesn't give them a chance of achieving. I must add that this is going to be very tough and that if the Bulls don't give more than 100% it's going to be a long night for them. I am very confident that it won't be the case and that the Bulls will be up for the challenge.
<O:p</O:p
Good luck Bulls will be watching and holding thumbs for 80 minutes come game time.<O:p</O:p

I am hoping for a miracle Bulls win as it will plant seeds of doubt in the NZ psychy for RWC time and help strengthen the Stormers' current top spot.

However I am much less confident in the Bulls pulling one off in NZ than i am about the Stormers upsetting them in Newlands. I can just imagine the amount of ball the Bulls are going to gift Israel Dagg only to have him dodge two tackles and offload for Maitland to score.

The Bulls should rather use their kicking expertise for playing a territorial game and keeping the scoreboard ticking over with whatever chances they get in the opposition half all the while puting pressure on the Crusaders line-out with Sam Whitelock out. They certainly have the personel for it and speed out wide to police the quick line-out. If they do this and manage to keep the Cruaders backs honest I can see a win. But I am not confident.

blueballs.jpg

I am hoping for a miracle Bulls win as it will plant seeds of doubt in the NZ psychy for RWC time and help strengthen the Stormers' current top spot.

However I am much less confident in the Bulls pulling one off in NZ than i am about the Stormers upsetting them in Newlands. I can just imagine the amount of ball the Bulls are going to gift Israel Dagg only to have him dodge two tackles and offload for Maitland to score.

The Bulls should rather use their kicking expertise for playing a territorial game and keeping the scoreboard ticking over with whatever chances they get in the opposition half all the while puting pressure on the Crusaders line-out with Sam Whitelock out. They certainly have the personel for it and speed out wide to police the quick line-out. If they do this and manage to keep the Cruaders backs honest I can see a win. But I am not confident.

Well stated let's see what happens on Saturday, hopefully they can find the right balance and not kick unnecessary. Tactics is very important and holds the key of upsetting the Crusaders on home soil.<O:p</O:p

Dont worry Boet Faas I have seen this happen at Newlands also !!

Re coaching , said so back then that I cannot see how Ludeke after his crap record at the lions got the Top job in SA super rugby circles !! Absurd , the man is a failure for years at the Lions then get a Super team to coach. I see some pain for the Bulls this weekend , its not gonna be pretty and SBW is going to have a ball with Olivier at centre I'm afraid. Good luck , will be shouting for you guys though !

Latest posts