• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blue Bulls thread

That is the funniest thing I've read all year *blinking away tears*. I can hear the blue horned fans when Ricky takes two lateral steps before looking forward to see if there isn't a space for him before considering to pass the ball.

How about Spies to wing and Luke Watson to 8?
I see a nice, warm welcome for Puke at Loftus.

The Bulls were always going to be the team hardest hit by players leaving after the RWC. Matfield, Botha, du Preez are allready sure to go with Gary Botha, Danie Rossouw likely to go and Steenkamp along with Olivier other candidates that have pretty much done it all at the Bulls at might want some new challenge IE big money in Europe if there is interest in their services. I wouldn't even be surprised to see Kirschner leaves if anybody would approach him.

That's why I see them as the hardest team to beat this season. Their last chance to achieve something for a couple of seasons and nothing to lose.

Bulls team to face the Lions

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=28885

The Bulls team (Super Caps in brackets) is:
Zane Kirchner (40), Gerhard van den Heever (17), Stephan Dippenaar (12), Wynand Olivier (71), Bjorn Basson (9), Morne Steyn (73), Fourie du Preez (99), Pierre Spies (56), Dewald Potgieter (31), Deon Stegmann (39), Victor Matfield (109), Bakkies Botha (86), Werner Kruger (42), Gary Botha (73), Gurthro Steenkamp (66)
Replacements: Chiliboy Ralepelle (19), Rossouw de Klerk (1), Danie Rossouw (102), Derick Kuün (56), Ruan Snyman (1), Francois Brummer (1), Jaco van der Westhuyzen (56).

Not pulling any punches. It has always been (LOL, for the last few seasons) their aim to start off with max points. Only player of note missing is Francois Hougaard who has hurt his thumb somehow and is out for a week or two. They should win this if they don't totally underestimate the Lions but the Bulls management is too sharp to fall into that trap.

* Oh wait, I see 13 is Stefan Dippenaar and not Stefan Watermeyer. Well, while Pretorius is out it will be interesting to see if Dippenaar can cope.

I thought the Bulls were going to open up and run the Lions ragged in the 2nd half. Good on the Lions for upping the pace and nearly getting the result. That said, it did mean my fantasy rugby scores were well below par LOL. Lions look set to upset a few of the more settled teams this year but probably only t home. Hope the Stormers can get the result this weekend; they will be rusty and the Lions will be very dissapointed not to have gotten the scalp against the Bulls. I trust in the Stormers' great scrambling defense though to contain the threat.

Totally off topic but Bulls related; last week I met a new client called Antonio de Oliviera to discuss alterations to his house and the guy looked very familiar though I couldn't place him. At the end of the meeting I told him that I felt he looked very familiar and he asked if I followed rugby. I said yes and very much so but still had no idea until he told me he played at hooker for the Bulls but was asked to play as Anton Olivier by the Bulls management to endear him to the Afrikaans fans even though he could hardly speak Afrikaans at all. I just found that extremely funny and insulting at the same time. Good for him as he seemed to see the lighter side of it and told me he really loved playing for the Bulls and wouldn't want to have played for another province. Unrelated but I thought it was interesting.

Yeah, seriously... When you watch the people in that stadium, most of them don't even know the rules. They just cheer louder when a penalty is scored than when Hougaard or van den Heever scores a try.
Hahaha much like when the Sharks or Stormers supporters boo the ref when a penalty goes against their team, when clearly it is a penalty.

Good game by the Lions they outplayed us in the second half. Gerhard's try was amazing hope to see more of those from the bulls wingers. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Don't know if anyone will find this useful but here is a spreadsheet for filling in the results of each weekend.
<o:p></o:p>
http://www.wetalkrugby.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SUPER_15.xlsm

Hahaha much like when the Sharks or Stormers supporters boo the ref when a penalty goes against their team, when clearly it is a penalty.

Well, if it intimidates the ref at all, its worth it LOL. I have to say I'm a bit shellshocked to see two Bulls supporters here. Welkom!

Let's not scare them away...

;)

Just jokin'. Welkom Bulle. Ek hoop dat julle geniet van al die Stormers en Haaie hier wat baie kak praat haha

Well, if it intimidates the ref at all, its worth it LOL. I have to say I'm a bit shellshocked to see two Bulls supporters here. Welkom!
No need to welcome me mate I've been part of this site since 2003, don't know what the hell happened to my post count though.

I am new shared my first view in December last year on the springbok tour so ill hang around a bit more. Its gona be a great year to have dstv and mobile tv with all the different sporting events that's happening around the globe.

Some Bulls News:

Vodacom Bulls captain, Victor Matfield, and coach, Frans Ludeke, added their voices to those concerned rugby people from around the world after the devastating earthquake in Christchurch on Tuesday. The South African Rugby Union (SARU) has also written to the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) to express its condolences and offer solidarity with New Zealanders and their rugby community following the natural disaster.

"It is certainly a time to think about our friends in New Zealand and all those at the Crusaders who will be affected by this. We have a lot of respect for the Crusaders and their players and over the years have become good friends with them. We have always enjoyed great hospitality when travelling to Christchurch for Super Rugby and our hearts go out for those affected, many of whom who has treated us with respect and kindness," Matfield said.
Ludeke said that their thoughts and prayers will be with those affected.
"There are many similarities in the way ourselves and the Crusaders approach the game and because of that, we have become good rugby friends. We hope they will recover from this quickly."
Earlier, SARU president, Mr Oregan Hoskins, contacted Mr John Surgeon, president of the NZRU to offer any support SARU could render at this terrible time. "Our rugby community feels a special bond to New Zealand and what has happened in Christchurch has been deeply felt here," wrote Mr Hoskins. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the effected families and with all New Zealanders, who have no doubt been traumatised by this terrible earthquake. Please be assured that SARU and the South African rugby community will assist the NZRU and the people of New Zealand in any way that we possibly can."

Cheetahs vs Bulls:

The team (withSuper caps) is: Zane Kirchner (41), Gerhard van den Heever (18), Jaco Pretorius (37), Wynand Olivier (72), Bjorn Basson (10), Morné Steyn (74), Fourie du Preez (100), Pierre Spies (57), Dewald Potgieter (32), Deon Stegmann (40), Victor Matfield (110), Bakkies Botha (87), Werner Kruger (43), Chiliboy Ralepelle (20), Gurthrö Steenkamp (67). Replacements: Derick Kuün (57), Rossouw de Klerk (1), Flip van der Merwe (20), Danie Rossouw (102), Ruan Snyman (1), Francois Brummer (1), Stephan Dippenaar (13).

1. C Oosthuizen 2.R Barnes 3. WP Nel 4. W Vermeulen 5. W Steenkamp 6. F Viljoen 7. J SMith (C) 8. L Floors9. S Pretorius 10.N Olivier (VC) 11. R Benjamin 12. A Strauss 13. R Ebersohn 14. P Burger 15. H Daniller

16. S Badenhorst 17. K Calldo 18. F Uys 19. A JOhnson 20. T de Bruyn 21. S Ebersohn 22. R Viljoen

Last edited:
Not resting anyone yet I see. They should be able to handle the Cheetahs allright but they will come out and end guns blazing and will be the team with nothing to lose. Still Bulls to win 32-15

Cheetahs in Bloem is a match impossible to predict. Bulls should win this by 15 but with Smith back, Burger doing good against the Sharks (despite an error or 2). You never know... I would just pick Riaan Viljoen over Hennie Daniller any day

I always get the feeling that the Cheetahs don't want to play in Super rugby and are only interested in the Currie cup. I wouldn't be surprised if Juan Smith pulls out of the match because of injury. If the Bulls can win their first 3 matches and escape without any major injuries I'll be happy.

Not resting anyone yet I see. They should be able to handle the Cheetahs allright but they will come out and end guns blazing and will be the team with nothing to lose. Still Bulls to win 32-15

The Bulls will be very serious against the Cheetahs tomorrow and will look to improve their second half performance against the Lions. I don't really like to predict but ill be at the stadium, Bulls by 6 points.<O:p</O:p

Latest posts