• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

maybe penne.
your gameplan really shouyld be dictated by the type of players you have. warrenBall imo would evolve into something amzing if u had the ABs doing it.
also not many people agreed with hansens gameplan (me included) of running the oppn of their feet.
henry loved numbers and statistics and religously did a lot of video analysis on the oppn.
1. i dont think ABs would ever go back to boring rugby. the grantFox days are over.
2. there would still be flair. as a coach to u10's i can vouch that NZ kids are always coming up with audacious plays
3. disagree, flair should be replaced with intelligence. gatlands intelligence with this cattle has shone thru

ps i can put up with a whiner if he's making the ABs better.

Like some have said on here I think Hansen made a monumental mistake taking Kaino off when SBW got sent off . Should have been either winger imo both were poor during the game

Gatland is an ok coach and a good guy. Heck I'm from the Waikato and he used to be a relief teacher at my high school when he was a player and he would come to our training and coach our scrum and forward pack some times. Waikato players of that era were revered in the community.

But I cant see him coaching the All Blacks for a dew of reasons.
1, he has a bit of an ego that comes out to play some times.
2, his style is very different to what has become the norm for NZ rugby
3, the AB's have been so good for so long that the key is maintaining continuity in the coaching setup.

to expand on 3, the most likely succession for Hansen is for Ian Foster to take over and a new assistant to be appointed, like Tana or Scott Robinson. If you want to be AB coach. First show you can cut it as one of the assistant coaches and work as a team of coaches. one of the great things of this AB coaching setup which has been true since Grahame Henry was in charge is that the coaches are all equally important and they work so well as a group. I think its kinda a shame Renee went overseas. It maybe sounds like he wasn't interested in an AB assistant job but wants to be head coach, but I think its unlikely someone is going to come straight in from outside the setup and become head coach. it would change things too much.

I think every non-AB fan would absolutely love to see Gatland take the helm.
LOL. Very good. Look; maybe the Lions will beat the AB's next Saturday and win the Series. Good Luck to them, but I find it hard to watch. I'd rather the AB's lost a few, than employ the sort of a game style that Gatland coaches.

3, the AB's have been so good for so long that the key is maintaining continuity in the coaching setup.
yeah i dont fully agree with that, but i believe u are right.
foster never achieved anything with waikato yet he gets to run the ABs? i dont think thats right.
where colinCooper doesnt want to be an assistant coach of the ABs so he ends up leaving .
i suppose its a balance of tried and true vs new ideas.
i will admit that the system thats in place in now and the fitness regime should def stay. but the actual coaching part should go to a coach whose earnt it.
gatland has earnt it more than foster.
i dont care about gatlands ego. there have been worse coaches with egos, ergo johnMitchell had the biggest ego and he was allowed to screw over the ABs (and cullen, goldie, antonOliver, andrewMehrtens , taineRandell...)
note thqat this system was only introduced since 2004-2006.before then there were great ABs coaches who did it their way. laurieMains, grizz, fredAllen, brianLochore.

just like to say that every now and then for the good that is bigger than rugby, the rugbyGods step in.
eg 1995 WC. whilst ABs lost a game, boks unified a nation. a win meant so much more to SA than it would have to NZ
2011 WC finals, NZ media and some fans got too cocky so the rugbyGods humbled us and made the win a sole point.

losing this series isnt a big deal. ABs arent expected to win everything. ABs arent gods and NZ isnt olympus. if ABs lose this weekend it will do lions tours a world of good. the naysayers will quit saying this tour is a waste of time and more kiwi's will appreciate more how special these tours really are.

foster never achieved anything with waikato yet he gets to run the ABs? i dont think thats right.
where colinCooper doesnt want to be an assistant coach of the ABs so he ends up leaving .
i suppose its a balance of tried and true vs new ideas.
i will admit that the system thats in place in now and the fitness regime should def stay. but the actual coaching part should go to a coach whose earnt it.

do you mean Renee rather than cooper?

Fosters record for the chiefs needs to be put into perspective.
it was during Carter & McCaws dominant era when they still made a big impact in super rugby as basically hands down the best players in the world. yet he still managed to get some wins over the Crusaders.
the chiefs were often the next best NZ super rugby team. and he did take them a final once.
Fosters Chiefs were the last NZ super rugby side where the majority of players were actually selected from the region.

I think Foster was a very good coach at the chiefs and the biggest issues he had were that his sides struggled to maintain performance levels/depth when they had injuries and he failed to find/recruit quality players in some key positions like lock and 12. These things aren't so much an issue when coaching the All Blacks, you basically have the whole NZ talent pool to pick from.

I certainly rate him a better coach than Cooper who also failed to win a ***le but unlike Foster had a squad packed with All Blacks.

I think Hansen could see fosters value despite not winning a super ***le, his appointment turned out pretty bloody well, importantly the areas he is in control of generally function well and he seems to have great rapport with pretty much everyone be it media, players or well anyone...

His record speaks for itself now, what better way to prove you can be a successful All Black coach than to be a Successful All Black coach... Its quite clear that in this setup as far as coaching goes Foster has as much or maybe even more influence at times than anyone else in the setup including Hansen.

I think every non-AB fan would absolutely love to see Gatland take the helm.

I read an article that Gatland, Schmidt and Cotter might apply for the job...

Question is what will happen to NH rugby? There won't be anymore good coaches left from the SH to teach your guys how to play rugby... :p

Question is what will happen to NH rugby? There won't be anymore good coaches left from the SH to teach your guys how to play rugby... :p
Didn't see jones on that list....

Here is how I rate them

1. Schmidt
2. Cotter
3. Gatland

Joe has what it takes to become an All Blacks coach, and add to that he's a nice humble guy. Vern has done marvels with Scotland, hope he could have worked with more depth to see if he's the real deal.

Gatland is an ok coach and a good guy. Heck I'm from the Waikato and he used to be a relief teacher at my high school when he was a player and he would come to our training and coach our scrum and forward pack some times. Waikato players of that era were revered in the community.

But I cant see him coaching the All Blacks for a dew of reasons.
1, he has a bit of an ego that comes out to play some times.
2, his style is very different to what has become the norm for NZ rugby

to expand on 3, the most likely succession for Hansen is for Ian Foster to take over and a new assistant to be appointed, like Tana or Scott Robinson. If you want to be AB coach. First show you can cut it as one of the assistant coaches and work as a team of coaches. one of the great things of this AB coaching setup which has been true since Grahame Henry was in charge is that the coaches are all equally important and they work so well as a group. I think its kinda a shame Renee went overseas. It maybe sounds like he wasn't interested in an AB assistant job but wants to be head coach, but I think its unlikely someone is going to come straight in from outside the setup and become head coach. it would change things too much.
You mean Robertson surely? Yes, his appointment as an assistant coach would be one of the best things to happen to the All Blacks. He knows how to bring life into a squad, and is admired as a coach because he can get the players to play for the whole team. Just imagine what he could do with the All Blacks.
But he's still pretty inexperienced is what I say. Let him coach the Saders for another one or two years and then we'll see.

More like what are the SH sides gonna do when we stop teaching their coaches how to coach!
They come up here to learn then take their wisdom back down under, the thieving gits

More like what are the SH sides gonna do when we stop teaching their coaches how to coach!
They come up here to learn then take their wisdom back down under, the thieving gits
Nah they're just taking pity on us northerners for not knowing how to play rugby. That's an act of generosity actually.

You kind of do have a point here when I think of Steve Hansen. Hansen was a virtual unknown in NZ until all of a sudden his Welsh team started playing well.

Latest posts