• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

The winning penalty really concerns me for the future of the game. Red player throws a bad pass, the Red receiver has to jump to catch it and gets tackled. The Law about tacking players in the air was never intended to apply to this, it was intended to protect players jumping for a kicked BALL

How long before we see receivers deliberately jumping to catch passes to make themselves immune from being tackled or to win a penalty. I know that if I was still coaching, The first thing on the agenda for Tuesday night would be getting my backs to practice jumping to catch passes so that opponents could not tackle them.

In my mind there is a distinct difference in having to catch a pass and getting tackled and jumping to catch a pass you didnt need to in order to cynically force a penalty.

Call me biased but I believe the right call was made

Well when you reject his full argument you are rejecting "you cannot jump into a tackle." So even though you never typed "into" you used it.
No. We werent discussing 'jumping into' the tackle. I can PROVE that. You cant PROVE what your saying. You can only ASSUME. Would you like me to bring up our traded posts to PROVE that wasnt part of our discussion? Ill be happy to do it but itll make you look silly lol.

The winning penalty really concerns me for the future of the game. Red player throws a bad pass, the Red receiver has to jump to catch it and gets tackled. The Law about tacking players in the air was never intended to apply to this, it was intended to protect players jumping for a kicked BALL

How long before we see receivers deliberately jumping to catch passes to make themselves immune from being tackled or to win a penalty. I know that if I was still coaching, The first thing on the agenda for Tuesday night would be getting my backs to practice jumping to catch passes so that opponents could not tackle them.

I understand, however for me it is a similar argument I'd use for those saying SBW and Mako making head contact wasnt that bad. There are alot of ex rugby players who have had on going head issues. In fact it's only recently that awareness has increased to a major change in the laws. Now the law may not have been originally intended, but when a player is in the air for whatever reason, there is the possiblity of it going wrong and them landing on their head. Simply it is a question of player welfare over entertaining fans. Now at the time the players may disagree, but I'm sure when they are older and don't have long term problems from playing they will definitely appreciate it.

I've had another good look at the SBW incident.

For me the critical issue is that SBW did not use his arms. This demonstrates intent!

If SBW had used his arms with Watson going down then the replay would show intent to commit a legal tackle but with in-play head contact - result would be penalty possible yellow.

Lesson - use your arms in the tackle then replay interpretation will be self evident - I.E. not red!

If you don't use arms in the contact then any number of worst case outcomes is possible!

Can't believe we didn't use Teo when all we needed was a simply game to keep knocking the 14 men back and bide time for the opportunities or penalties to come.

I think Gatland was fortunate in some ways- if Teo and Stander can't be considered in this type of game then when will he ever use them off the bench?

Thank God we have got a decider though!!

In my mind there is a distinct difference in having to catch a pass and getting tackled and jumping to catch a pass you didnt need to in order to cynically force a penalty.

Call me biased but I believe the right call was made

Utter BS if its a bad pass and you have to jump to catch it you deserve to get SMASHED for poor excution if nothing else. This is up there with under arm bowling as far as im concerned only difference is the lions likely didnt do it on purpose like those damn aussies....

This is a no call decision and should be every time. World rugby has now opened a massive can of worms as IMO we can expect to see teams do this on purpose.

No. We werent discussing 'jumping into' the tackle. I can PROVE that. You cant PROVE what your saying. You can only ASSUME. Would you like me to bring up our traded posts to PROVE that wasnt part of our discussion? Ill be happy to do it but itll make you look silly lol.
Please do

Big achievement, but the manner was wholly unconvincing to say the least, a bit of a gift.

A begrudging compliment from you Alpha;). Conversely had Lions drawn or lost you would have been saying Lions can't even beat 14 men. Enjoy the moment I say. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes along.

Yea this opens up the possibility that you suggested. It would need to be sorted out or discussed with the players before the next game. But this was not really mentioned before the game. And In the moment the ref just applied the law. So can't blame him but yes needs to be looked at for future encounters.

A begrudging compliment from you Alpha;). Conversely had Lions drawn or lost you would have been saying Lions can't even beat 14 men. Enjoy the moment I say. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes along.
Of course, the salt in here is nice to read. Hard to enjoy when there's a test next week which I can only see one result.

Utter BS if its a bad pass and you have to jump to catch it you deserve to get SMASHED for poor excution if nothing else. This is up there with under arm bowling as far as im concerned only difference is the lions likely didnt do it on purpose like those damn aussies....

My problem with this view as I've said above is you are putting entertaining competitive rugby above player welfare. When a player slips and contact is made with the head it is still a penalty, because it was not intentional, but can cause serious problems for the player. For me it seems you would rather see players with permenant injuries that affect them for the rest of their lives for your own entertainment.

Well done lads! Ofcourse we're most likely going to get smashed next week but it's not going to be a 'tour from hell'. Love the fact that the Lions have outscored the NZ teams too after all the talk. Think a few AB fans have forgotten what it's like to lose. :confused:

Discipline was horrific. Could have actually been far more comfortable for the Lions if they had just played the territorial game. Some great hands in the build up to the Faletau try.

No complaints about the red. The tackle in the air was harsh, but probably technically a pen.

Can we end the series here?!

Wonder if they'll cite that swinging arm that knocked Naholo out. Theres no doubt the TMO saw that.

My problem with this view as I've said above is you are putting entertaining competitive rugby above player welfare. When a player slips and contact is made with the head it is still a penalty, because it was not intentional, but can cause serious problems for the player. For me it seems you would rather see players with permenant injuries that affect them for the rest of their lives for your own entertainment.

I cant agree with this at all. If we had shoulder charges the game would be way more entertaining. FACT this game was ruined as a spectcle by the SBW red card. Sure under the rules it was a red card. Until the last 10 this match was boring as **** imo.

Baring similar circumstances next week everyone knows the AB's are going to put a big score on these guys next week. This lions team is very average.

More concerning for me is that he didn't have to jump to catch it. Instead of the All Blacks being able to capitalise on a bad pass (attacking player hands up high, prone for a strong tackle), they are punished for it. The player jumped unnecessarily. What is the defending team supposed to do in that scenario?

Watch it again. The pen is harsh but he certainly has to jump for it. That's not in question.

Latest posts