• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Blues vs. Bulls in Auckland (10/03/2013)

I really hope Boric is back soon this game should see Retalick cemented ahead of Moli.

I hope luatua had a really good look at Spies as he dragged him off, he's a very talented player but I don't think he's much of an athlete. Not like Spies, Messam, Vito or even Kaino. I recon to take his game to the next level he needs to up his game in terms of his athletic ability.

To be fair Luatua is more of a lock/loosie than an out and out loose forward. Vito and (especially) Spies have a pretty rare combo of power and pace. Messam is fast but not as powerful. I think Luatua is more powerful than Messam but obviously not as quick. He is more in the mould of Kaino, who wasnt particularly fast, and Kaino never truly blossomed until 2010/11 anyway. He wasn't that awesome his whole career in NZ.

I'd be much more worried about Moli who like you guys say hasn't done anything well at this level.

Moli was the Blues worst player last year imo, he is so lucky to have another super rugby contract. I guess JK figured he might play well in the right environment, and with a bit of confidence.

I'm a fan of Moli, whereas some players lack a genuine mongrel in the 2nd Row, Moli has it in spades. As well as a fairly high workrate. I'm of the thought that both Pat Lam & SJK obviously think that they could buff the rough edges out of him. That said, I've been wanting to see Boric back in action for a long time now.

All up, a pretty terrible performance from the Blues bar a few players. The only good thing that came out of the changes made, is that we can pretty well establish who should and who shouldn't be starting right now. And for those players that weren't great - they now know where the bar has been set. Ball handling skills should be at the top of the list of things to work on.

Great effort by the Bulls, I thought they could've exposed Barrett more often, and they didn't at all seem that worried by the Blues midfield. Sometimes it's the simple things that work best. High ball + Pressure = turnover.

If I could pick the 22 before the game against waratahs i'd pick
1. T Mccartney
2. J Parsons
3. C Faumuina
4. C Retallick
5. A Williams
6. S Luatua
7. L Braid
8. P Saili
9. P Weepu
10. C Noakes
11. G Moala
12. F Saili
13. R Ranger
14. F Halai
15. C Piutau
16. Q Macdonald
17. T Perry
18. A Boric
19. B Oconnor
20. B Hall
21. B Kerr
22. J Willison or A Nikoro

HAHAHA whatever buddy.
I'm not eating anything.
Same way I wouldn't expect you to, if your pick for the game didn't go your way.
You support your team, I support mine.

I will say this though, the Blues were poor.

They lacked intensity, and cohesion. Even the defence was down on the previous weeks. Some of this might be due to the 7 changes, who knows.

BUT MOSTLY they were MADE to look poor by the Bulls, and lost to a better team on the day.

I was at the game, and the Bulls tactic to kick bombs directly into the sunlight in the first half worked perfectly.
Naholo couldn't catch a cold in the first 40mins.

Bulls played their typical style, but also threw in a strong running game, and the Blues defence was far too lax on too many occasions - especially out wide.
I think Sir Graham will have a thing or two for the Blues to work on over the coming 2 weeks.

Blues certainly didn't deserve to win this game. They looked like half the team that played the first two rounds.

The Bulls on the other hand played complete rugby - strong forward play complimented (suprinsingly) by enterprising back line play.

So what about your earlier post??

heineken,

I think I made it pretty clear I wasn't being arrogant, and I was just stating what I think will happen.
If the Blues lose I will gladly acknowledge I was wrong.
If i'm being arrogants saying the Blues will win, you are being arrogant saying the Bulls will.
I'm just making a call on the game

However, I feel from what I have seen of the SA teams so far; that they will have a lot of trouble living with the NZ teams.

I may be wrong. but that is my feeling based on what I have seen out of both the conferences.

Also, based on history SA teams usually struggle in their first game in NZ.
To compound matters, the Bulls are coming up against a superb defence masterminded by Graham Henry, and a team that has a backline full of gamebreakers, and a few in the forwards too.

Ahem

I think the Bulls and Blues both looked very good indeed at times and I don't expect the Blues to drop off the radar after 1 loss. They might just struggle against other teams who play a more conservative style and back it up with accuracy (which the Bulls lacked in patches though) and good defense. And even then they showed their ball-in-hand approach can still win through with a bit of luck they are so good at what they do.

Credit to the Bulls though for exposing weaknesses in the Blues game.

Last edited:
I think the Bulls and Blues both looked very good indeed at times and I don't expect the Blues to drop off the radar after 1 loss. They might just struggle against other teams who play a more conservative style and back it up with accuracy (which the Bulls lacked in patches though) and good defense. And even then they showed their ball-in-hand approach can still win through with a bit of luck they are so good at what they do.

Credit to the Bulls though for exposing weaknesses in the Blues game.

Yeah, I'm very happy with the win!, the first time we won in Aukland ever!! and this was a major boost of confidence with the 3 tough games left on tour. I'm glad to see Morne and Wynand managing to pass the ball. I must say Morne has really impressed me a lot this year in his first 3 games with his general play. Running, distribution, defending... all parts he was criticised for in the past.

I have to take my hat off to our forward pack, with a new hooker, tighthead prop and loose trio combination from the previous game, they played great together.

Pierre Spies is back to his old self, him not being so bulky as the last 2 years has made him to the beast I know him to be. pity that blindside break of his didn't result in a try. that would've put the cherry on the cake.

The best moment in the game had to be Werner Kruger's amazing catch... I for sure thought he knocked that on from side view...

Yeah, Spies, Kruger and Steyn look like they are taking their status of being senior players and thus leaders to heart and playing as well as ever. I have to add Olivier as well as much as that hurts me. Your 'irreplacable' players playing well and all your talented youngsters coming through putting pressure on the other regulars will make you a dangerous side.

So what about your earlier post??

Ahem

What about my earlier post??
Did I not acknowledge the Blues lost to a better team on the day?

I'm not sure what you're after here chief?

It's not like I slated your team, I just gave my call on the game based on the previous games.
It was wrong.
Are you trying to tell me you've never NOT picked a result?

Geez mate, don't try to take too much credit.
You weren't actually out there on the field you know.

Last edited:

Latest posts