• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Blues vs. Bulls in Auckland (10/03/2013)

Blues fans, please assist me... there's a lot of new faces in the blues camp. I was wondering, will the Blues Forwards be able to counter the Bulls mauls?

I have a feeling that the maul will play a major role in the Bulls' attack this weekend and it seems that they have nearly perfected it. Also, apart from Ali Williams, do they have good lineout jumpers and a good thrower??

Their hooker is pretty good, so there shouldn't be any major problems at lineout time for the Blues, providing they keep things simple. Liaki Moli is a player some tipped as a future All Black only a year ago - he has fallen down the pecking order somewhat now, but is still good value for money, particularly around the park. Luatua and Barrett have also spent some time at lock. That being said, I think the Blues may struggle to compete with the Bulls' mauling, legally at least.

Their hooker is pretty good, so there shouldn't be any major problems at lineout time for the Blues, providing they keep things simple. Liaki Moli is a player some tipped as a future All Black only a year ago - he has fallen down the pecking order somewhat now, but is still good value for money, particularly around the park. Luatua and Barrett have also spent some time at lock. That being said, I think the Blues may struggle to compete with the Bulls' mauling, legally at least.

Didn't the Blues lose a lot of their own lineouts last week? The lineout was shocking last year and it looks pretty bad last week too

moala slow? he looked rapid in that try he scored last week... or was that a unjust representation? not really very familiar with him

Don't worry, I was going to say the same thing. From what I have seen of Moala he is very quick - I think Nick is severally underestimating his pace!

Blues fans, please assist me... there's a lot of new faces in the blues camp. I was wondering, will the Blues Forwards be able to counter the Bulls mauls?

I have a feeling that the maul will play a major role in the Bulls' attack this weekend and it seems that they have nearly perfected it. Also, apart from Ali Williams, do they have good lineout jumpers and a good thrower??

Its good to see the Bulls employ the maul and look to perfect it. They got the forwards for it. Forwards have a lot to do in terms of positional play but one thing they must always be is a forward, not a backward. Bulls forwards and their maul can be a real driving force and a nightmare for opposition packs. Anyway 60-50 metres out, instead of puttin it into touch for a lineout, Morne will line it up for a shot. They'll probably use it once in the game.

Its good to see the Bulls employ the maul and look to perfect it. They got the forwards for it. Forwards have a lot to do in terms of positional play but one thing they must always be is a forward, not a backward. Bulls forwards and their maul can be a real driving force and a nightmare for opposition packs. Anyway 60-50 metres out, instead of puttin it into touch for a lineout, Morne will line it up for a shot. They'll probably use it once in the game.

lol, I doubt it... They did the rolling mauls from kick-offs vs. the force to put them in a good spot. the reason why I asked about the lineouts was, if Morne is going to put the ball in the corners, then the Blues needs to find their jumpers, otherwise it will be a tough day at the office for them.

Will they be able to counter the Bulls mall?
It is hard to say, but personally I suspect they will struggle.

In terms of there own lineout, MacDonald is an ok thrower, but doesn't have an established combination with the Blues jumpers (it is his starting debut for the Blues) which may be an issue. The Blues have plenty of linout options - Williams is still class in this area, Moli is strong at the front, Luatua is very good too (he has a lot of experience at lock), while Barrett is a tall guy too. It will come down to whether MacDonald can hit his jumpers...

moala slow? he looked rapid in that try he scored last week... or was that a unjust representation? not really very familiar with him

Told you darwin would disagree.

I stand by it - take a look at the try from last week.

Yes his body position looks like he sprinting quickly, but he hardly leaves anyone supporting behind. Even on the angle he doesn't look like he's actually going that quick. It was a nice step - but he looks to have the speed of someone like Alapati Leiua over a genuine speedster like Masaga. He does seem to accelerate pretty quickly though.

That being said it's always hard to tell just by watching a television screen, but even playing for Auckland in the ITM Cup he never seemed that quick to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing the Saders and Highlanders get beaten by lesser teams this round, I am starting to question the form of Blues as well. Don't get me wrong, they deserved to win and look to be more in form than the bulls, but I'm not sure about their form as I was last week. I still suspect they would win albeit by a small margin, just because the bulls never travel well. Although, be blues beating the canes seem to carry more weight now.

I am now looking forward to the Blues vs Chiefs game more than ever just to see where they really are, because the chiefs did look pure class at least in the second half last week. I have always thought local derbies are more tough and evenly matched than other matches, and that is hard to factor in.

Maybe I have it all wrong, it is still very early in the season, so hard to tell from limited info. But be as it may, there have been many upsets this past weeks that few expected.

Edit: Reading my own post now, it seem clear to me that I have no clue how to rate the teams at the moment due to the upsets. All I do know for sure is I am exited to see how this season progresses.

Last edited:
Told you darwin would disagree.

I stand by it - take a look at the try from last week.

Yes his body position looks like he sprinting quickly, but he hardly leaves anyone supporting behind. Even on the angle he doesn't look like he's actually going that quick. It was a nice step - but he looks to have the speed of someone like Alapati Leiua over a genuine speedster like Masaga. He does seem to accelerate pretty quickly though.

That being said it's always hard to tell just by watching a television screen, but even playing for Auckland in the ITM Cup he never seemed that quick to me.

moala is quick mate, last year or maybe two years ago (cannot remember correctly) he actually went around masaga what look like to be with ease. ill try link you the video if i can find it (cant embed sh*t haha)

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing the Saders and Highlanders get beaten by lesser teams this round, I am starting to question the form of Blues as well. Don't get me wrong, they deserved to win and look to be more in form than the bulls, but I'm not sure about their form as I was last week. I still suspect they would win albeit by a small margin, just because the bulls never travel well. Although, be blues beating the canes seem to carry more weight now.

I am now looking forward to the Blues vs Chiefs game more than ever just to see where they really are, because the chiefs did look pure class at least in the second half last week. I have always thought local derbies are more tough and evenly matched than other matches, and that is hard to factor in.

Maybe I have it all wrong, it is still very early in the season, so hard to tell from limited info. But be as it may, there have been many upsets this past weeks that few expected.

Edit: Reading my own post now, it seem clear to me that I have no clue how to rate the teams at the moment due to the upsets. All I do know for sure is I am exited to see how this season progresses.

Your looking about right to me blues are coming back to earth with a thud at the moment. Like the highlanders totally outplayed at the moment.

Will be intresting to see if they can turn it around at all.

Naholo's been poor... I'd say sub him at halftime, but the Blues back reserves lack experience so I'm not sure if that's the right call in this case. Is Moala injured?

Moala is fit - they have just rotated their squad for this match.

EDIT: Good try Piutau. Blues back in this...

Last edited:
My vote for worst penalty of all times WTF!!! Seriously.....thats a shocker. And could really cost the blues the game.

Weepu is the best kicking 9 in NZ by MILES.

His kicking game is certainly one of his strengths, though I wouldn't say it was any better than Andy Ellis's (I would rate them as similar in this department). Brendon Leonard has a superb box-kicking game too. Weepu off now, with Gibson-Park on for his debut.

EDIT: That is why props should not stand on the wing....

My vote for worst penalty of all times WTF!!! Seriously.....thats a shocker. And could really cost the blues the game.

To be fair to the ref, I thought it was high looking at it the first time as well. Add to that a bit of gamesmanship by the Bulls, and you've got yourself one handy penalty right out in front.

Barrett beaten twice down the blindside in 2 mins - Naholo saves the day there.

Nikoro and McKenzie on now... interesting..

Try by ranger what a machine.... but honestly that penalty is probably going to cost them the game.

Great try Ranger. It will be an interesting last few minutes!

Latest posts