• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa v Ireland - 6 July 2024

There is a rivalry brewing atleast from an SA perspective. Pair that with having lost the last few against Ireland, and a narrative in the SA media that Ireland maybe does not quite accept the world cup results.
That narrative is where the build up has lost me completely, it's entirely fabricated. And considering the recent records between the sides and what both have achieved I'm the last 2 years it seems needless.

I also think appetite for rugby in the two countries couldn't be further apart at the moment and it's showing in the build up. This is the Boks first home game after the World Cup and rightfully a big occasion. For Ireland, the six nations and autumn tests (particularly v NZ) are more important, the players are going into their 13th month of rugby without a sustained break and a lot of bad big days in there, I've heard reliably that some of them just want to be home with family and friends. The tour also clashes with the All Ireland hurling and football semi finals, Rory Mcilroy's return to golf after the US Open and just precedes the Olympics which we've high hopes of our most successful ever games, all of these are more captivating for us. I can honestly say that the casual fans barely have these tests on their minds. Most rugby fans are jaded at this point and the noise from the Boks camp is going down poorly as a result. Personally I've never cared about the result of Ireland international matches less than these two.

That narrative is where the build up has lost me completely, it's entirely fabricated. And considering the recent records between the sides and what both have achieved I'm the last 2 years it seems needless.

I also think appetite for rugby in the two countries couldn't be further apart at the moment and it's showing in the build up. This is the Boks first home game after the World Cup and rightfully a big occasion. For Ireland, the six nations and autumn tests (particularly v NZ) are more important, the players are going into their 13th month of rugby without a sustained break and a lot of bad big days in there, I've heard reliably that some of them just want to be home with family and friends. The tour also clashes with the All Ireland hurling and football semi finals, Rory Mcilroy's return to golf after the US Open and just precedes the Olympics which we've high hopes of our most successful ever games, all of these are more captivating for us. I can honestly say that the casual fans barely have these tests on their minds. Most rugby fans are jaded at this point and the noise from the Boks camp is going down poorly as a result. Personally I've never cared about the result of Ireland international matches less than these two.
These are my thoughts exactly. Even online South African fans seem really geared up for it, and seem to view it as a ***le defence almost. That is simply not the billing its getting here at all. At the start of a four year cycle after a hugely disappointing World cup and domestic season for all four provinces I think we are reasonably happy just to get this one over with.

Our camp were also never going to bite on the media stuff anyway, it has never been our style, especially under Farrell and O'Connell who are both extremely animated behind closed doors, but don't seem to love the media side of things. We (meaning our players and coaches, because I know our media ca be as bad as anyone) have always had the more old school 'do our talking on the pitch' attitude. The stuff that has come out of the SA camp has largely come across as clutching at straws (because it's either pulled from thin air or deliberately misconstrued) for a one sided rivalry. It might show on the pitch in a flair up, but it might not, I know our setup is big on not building up individual opponents or putting to much emotional weight behind a fixture.

From the fan side, I would love if we win, especially in the context of this week, but it won't ruin my week if we lose, not like when Munster or Ireland lose a knockout game or 6N match.

And considering the recent records between the sides and what both have achieved I'm the last 2 years it seems needless.

This is the Boks first home game after the World Cup and rightfully a big occasion. For Ireland, the six nations and autumn tests (particularly v NZ) are more important, the players are going into their 13th month of rugby without a sustained break and a lot of bad big days in there, I've heard reliably that some of them just want to be home with family and friends.

I think this may be the critical differentiation. The SA URC teams have a good following, but I don't think they have the same weight of capturing the public attention as they used to (say 2000-2010 when the 50k stadiums were filled for league games). It's improving but not there yet. In contrast, the Springboks fully captivate the whole country, and as you say - this is the first home game we have had since winning the World Cup, most of the country will be watching. We also don't really have any other sport to watch right now. CWC is over, Euros are interesting but don't really suck us in since no involvement and there are no local sports leagues running (Currie Cup is kicking off, but obviously that is second tier to URC now and players will definitely be rested or with the Springboks). It's also the run up to TRC so everyone wants to see how we are currently looking.

I do think that it is an interesting team selection from Rassie, showing a very clear desire to win. As you mentioned, its the start of a cycle, but we are going all in with second most capped SA team. Even against Wales I wouldn't say that was the most green of potential teams. I am sure we will be more green against Portugal, but the gameplan seems to be ensure this series is a win, use tier 2s to breed in new players and then potentially do the two squad approach again for The Rugby Championship. Maybe we will end up being a lot more rookie focused for the EoYT.

Interesting reading regarding where this series fits for NH posters. From an SA POV even if I can only speak for myself.. its gonna hurt if we don't do a 2-0. Like losing to NZ or England type of hurt. And its not the media hype for me.. If anything I find it mildly irritating. Simply, its picking up and at the start of the new RWC cycle coming off that RWC high. The fact we lost to Ireland in France on top of the recent struggles in Ireland and Ireland flying high in recent years, also the URC connection, are added spice, sure but mostly its just getting the test rugby back up and running and hosting a world class side.

Interesting reading regarding where this series fits for NH posters. From an SA POV even if I can only speak for myself.. its gonna hurt if we don't do a 2-0. Like losing to NZ or England type of hurt. And its not the media hype for me.. If anything I find it mildly irritating. Simply, its picking up and at the start of the new RWC cycle coming off that RWC high. The fact we lost to Ireland in France on top of the recent struggles in Ireland and Ireland flying high in recent years, also the URC connection, are added spice, sure but mostly its just getting the test rugby back up and running and hosting a world class side.
I think it's a volume issue. Since the RWC I've had La Rochelle (x2), Six Nations, Northampton in Croke Park, Toulouse and Bulls as big big games / events as a fan. Add the World Cup to that and it's a lot of big games in less than 8 months.

I'll still watch it and want to win but unless we 2-0 it, which I don't think we're in a position to do, we can't break new ground. I just hope it's used to develop the team and gameplan (not in terms of blooding new guys really) because I found we were lacking there at the end of the 6n.

I am so tired of all this media crap. Feels like the only way to have a proper talk about rugby is with people in my close circle. Use to have some good chats with NZ and Irish fans. Even the Aussies at some stage.

I am so tired of all this media crap. Feels like the only way to have a proper talk about rugby is with people in my close circle. Use to have some good chats with NZ and Irish fans. Even the Aussies at some stage.
I don't think they're much to talk about. Settled squads, SA comfortable favourites at home. A few exciting match ups that can go either way (midfield, second row and back row) but also areas where SA will be stronger (Front row subs and back three) and should dictate the game through the advantage.

Kinsella saying Osborne in line to start at 15.

All the fans who said Farrell is conservative and TAB to have conniptions for very different reasons.

Ireland (possible): J Osborne; C Nash, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Lowe; J Crowley, C Casey; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; T Beirne, J McCarthy; P O'Mahony (capt), J van der Flier, C Doris.

Replacements: R Kelleher, C Healy, F Bealham, J Ryan, R Baird, C Murray, C Frawley, R Henshaw/N Timoney.

For neutrals these are usually pretty spot on. Osborne and Casey would be surprised for me! I'm happy with it!

Ireland team saying that the URC trips to SA meant their players now got to train for two weeks with the team without going home,

Not sure that's news? The away games in SA are always set up so you've two South African teams in a row. Teams are hardly going to go home between playing the Bulls and the Lions or whatever.

It's an interesting point that the URC and a SA trip every year does help our players and gives them experience with altitude, heat etc, that should in theory help in Pretoria.

Can't remember who said it, but someone in the Munster camp this year said that the players were able to adapt to the conditions a lot quicker this time around having done it before.

Jimmy finished the season poorly but that's a madness. Hopefully it works but this is exactly how Joe Schmidt's tenure died.

Ireland still refusing to pick any speed whatsoever is grating though.

Jimmy finished the season poorly but that's a madness. Hopefully it works but this is exactly how Joe Schmidt's tenure died.

Ireland still refusing to pick any speed whatsoever is grating though.
I think Osborne may work for this game at 15. Big boot, is an athletic boy and has some bit of pace.
I think he is a better option than Frawley (on the presumption he is ok holding his own aerially)

Bench will be interesting. We are going 5/3 split to get a centre on bench is the rumour so Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose all in the 23.
Frawley looking like reserve 22 and Murray 21.

Healy, Kelliher and Bealham.
Will be interesting what way they pick #20.
James Ryan at 19.

My hopes for this game:

- no controversies and consistency in applications
- no further injuries on all sides
- SFM gets at least 30 minutes (at 10)
- and a SA win obviously

Rumours Prendergast will bench vs South Africa Saturday.
Leinster deemed him not ready for a URC semi final and Ireland deem him ready

Prendergast is a real talent. Tough outing it would be for a first gap but I guess that's what these sportsmen live for. Hope he stays injury free to have a great career.

When you have Garry Ringrose, you start Garry Ringrose. Fed up of this woke.

Osbourne is a risk I don't like but we'll see.

I like the rest, particularly Casey starting.

Can't accuse Farrell of not trying new things anyway.

Latest posts