• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks vs Stormers

What happened to Wynand Pienaar?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

What happened to Wynand Pienaar?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Still in the mix for Sharks XV, but if Kobus de kock does not get injured i don't think he will get gametime, i would give him a run at 13 if i was coach, never know it could still happen; but only like 3 group games left. Only come into 22 if it is forced, i think. Will get more chance next year, still young...De Kock is 23 years old and pienaar is 21 i think.

Kobus De Kock has been amazing so far in the Vodacom Cup, hope he gets a look in the Currie Cup if Ludik goes to the RWC, makes you wonder...

Will Pienaar still be eligible for the u21s this year?

Anyone here read the article from Supersport where PDV says that he would be willing to take John Smit as the second choice hooker if it comes to that? Says that with Guthro/ Jannie/ CJ van de Linde around/mostly back to form, there is no longer a need for him to play prop, so he wants to see him get at least some game time at hooker
Only seen it on T.V., so will have a snoop around the website later

Last edited:
Official Lineup for Stormers game-

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Steven Sykes
5. Alistair Hargreaves
6. Keegan Daniel
7. Willem Alberts
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Charl McLeod
10. Jacques-Louis Potgieter
11. JP Pietersen
12. Meyer Bosman
13. Stefan Terblanche (Capt)
14. Odwa Ndungane
15. Louis Ludik
Replacements
16. John Smit
17. Eugene van Staden
18. Gerhard Mostert
19. Jacques Botes
20. Conrad Hoffmann
21. Adrian Jacobs
22. Lwazi Mvovo

Only change I can see so far is Pietersen for Mvovo, Mtawarira for Smit and Mostert on the bench for Bresler.

Nice to see Pietersen start again. I was hoping to see Botes in stead of Daniel in the starting XV and Hoffmann for McLeod

I agree with Ezequiel, McLeod hasn't made the step up from CC level to S14 level, how he selected in Supersport's 'Bok-Barometer' is beyond me

He does some good work with passing undoubtedly, but I know I have harped on about this but there were too many breaks by the rucks by means of inside passes, and correct me if I am wrong, but
Do most sides not leave the job of tracking the fly-halves support runner to the scrum-half

Hopefully Beasts little foray on Sunday will act as a catalyst for the rest of the season, because even when he started he was pretty unaminous this season, which my be the reason behind Smit retain his place in the side

The humidity has been a killer this whole week, it really doesn't look like going any time soon

McLeod has not shown what is expected from a scumhalf at this level. The Stormers have Duvenhage, The Lions have Vermaak, The Cheetahs have Sarel Pretorius. I think all 3 are better than McLeod at the moment. How can a country produce 5 World Class fly-half's but when it comes to scrum-half's we only get to Ruan Pienaar and Fourie du Preez?

I havent watched an all South African affair this year but thats about to change with this very interesting game coming up.

McLeod has not shown what is expected from a scumhalf at this level. The Stormers have Duvenhage, The Lions have Vermaak, The Cheetahs have Sarel Pretorius. I think all 3 are better than McLeod at the moment. How can a country produce 5 World Class fly-half's but when it comes to scrum-half's we only get to Ruan Pienaar and Fourie du Preez?

I'm interested to hear who these 5 fly-halfs are, because imo the only fly-half in this country that could be considered for a 'World 22' is More Steyn, and he has been pretty poor since last season's S14

Not a personal attack you must understand, I just think the term is bandied about far too often nowadays

But the Bulls have got some real gems imo in their youth system, there was one player still at school last year (Rudi something) that was particularly eye catching, and who can forgot about Houggard?

I think as a Springbok supporter you should be very happy with the amount of quaity young players that will be around for at least a decade, and should definitely play in the 2015 and 2019 RWCs
Imagine

1. Coenie Oosthuizen
2. Bismarck du Plessis/ Kyle Cooper
3. WP Nel/ Brok Harris
4. Flip van de Merwe
5. Andries Bekker
6. Heinrich Brussouw
7. Juan Smith/ Francious Louw
8. Willem Alberts
9. Francious Houggard
10. Patrick Lambie/ Elton Jantjies
11. Lwazi Mvovo/ JJ Englebrecht
12. Patrick Lambie/ Francious Steyn
13. Juan de Jongh/ Jerome Pretorius
14. Gerhard van de Heever/ Lionel Mapoe
15. Louis Ludik/ Jaco Taute

And (with the exception of Cooper) those are only the players that have played SupeRugby

SA rugby is very well placed, but NZ also has a wealth of young talent, but that is for another thread

Well, let's be honest that Lambie and Jantjies are not World-Class yet but they certainly have the talent. Steyn is a World Class kicker, just like Peter Grant, who both are good enough for the Bok squad. Butch James, Jacques-Louis Potgieter... All these guys are good enough for the Bok XV. That's actually what I meant. When it comes to scrum-half options, we get stuck with du Preez and Pienaar and that't it.

And Houggard ;)

With regards to the weather for today, there is a fair smattering of clouds, the ones inland look at a lot more ominous than the ones above the coast, so at the worst we could expect a heavy drizzle

Its not very humid, so if it doesn't rain it'll pretty nice conditions even though the sun isn't breaking through

Let's hope it'll be a good one

Hougaard is more a winger than a scrumhalf.

@ LH: Of the 3 Griquas bacline backbone (Sarel Pretorius, Naas Olivier, Riaan Viljoen) which would you think would be a welcome addition to the Sharks squad?

I have been thinking about this for almost a year now (since Steyn and Pienaar left).

Houggard is a talented footballer, who seems equally at home at wing and scrummy, he is a very good distributor and has a strong build with a lot of pace, which is why he is too talented to sit on the bench waiting to replace du Preez, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree (mind he also did very well at 13 when he was needed there)

With regards to the Griquas players, I must say that similair thoughts have crossed my mind, thinking which player from their team I would prefer most

Pretorius: For me the most talented of the lot, but he is extremely hot and cold, he seems to go on good runs and then all of a sudden turns horrible, like he did in the CC last year, and I actually think if they had another scrum-half, they coud have made the semi's. He had a blinder today after a shocker last week

Olivier: Pretty consistent player, good kicker and is usually very dependable. Distribution isn't the best, but he can have some good runs, but at the same time is easily shrugged off when trying to tackle players bigger than himself. I wouldn't have him over JLP

Viljoen: Dependable on most occasions, will either be average or amazing, there seems to be no pattern to it. Isn't 'aged', but has reached the point in his career where if he isn't consistent now, he never will be.

Overall, Pretorius would be the most suited to our style of play, he is youngish and can easily improve and beefen up with the help of the Sharks fitness coach (argh, remembered his name as I started the sentence, Steele?)
And given our lack of depth at scrum-half, he'd be the one I'd probably most want here

Note: The Griquas beat the Sharks XV 23-16 in Kimberely uyesterday, Supersport never broadcasted the game, but undoubtedly somone on Sharksworld will know what went on and whaty went wrong

Well, good to see I wasn't the only one thinking about these 3 as possible new Sharks haha. It's almost scary :D

The wind is howling at the stadium, it the importance of winning the toss might the tactics we employ today, as the wind could easily push the ball 15 metres further than usual

That was a quick first try. 3-10 to the Stormers now, try by that crook, Burger ;)

For a long time before the season started I thought JLP would be the better kicker compared to Lambie but I guess it is the other way around. Also I cannot wait for Deysel to return because Alberts is having another dreadful game so far

13-3, JLP's kicking is awful lately, you get a penalty at the 22m line and you decide to kick for goal. Frikkin' unbelievable. If this goes on for too long, I will just turn off the stream and drink a beer somewhere. Unbelievable

13-3, JLP's kicking is awful lately, you get a penalty at the 22m line and you decide to kick for goal. Frikkin' unbelievable.

JLP has been dire, to be honest.
Still two more weeks until Lambie is back...

JLP makes it from halfway, finally.

Last edited:
Well, if he would have missed this one, I am sure Bosman would have continued the kicking in the remainder of the match. 6-13, 1 try between them but with McLeod and his kamikaze runs I don't see us scoring a try today

Latest posts