• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks vs Stormers

A lot depends on how the new 10/12 combonation goes for the Sharks. Very lucky you shored up on flyhalf options so much. I thought it overkill at the start of the season but the no.10 injury plague has struck you guys again.

I don't think it is at all a bad thing with Bosman at 10...he is awesome at getting the backs going forward and i can't say enough about how awesome his distribution is. He also Defends better than Potgieter. We only lose some kicking skills, but we will be looking to play a ball in hand approach in SA , so won't be a problem. JLP will only be out for this week and at the worst we will get him and Lambie back after the Bye...only two games with Bosman at 10 and one of those games is the lions. When Lambie comes back i would love to see Bosman move into 10 for the last 20 minutes and lambie go to 12 with Adi on at 13 and stef either going to 15 or going off. Will be great for our attack, and combined with kanko, keegan and botes as the loose trio last 20 against Lions or cheetahs...we should rip them to pieces after Alberts and Deysel have run over them all day; they will be buggered.

My starting team and changes i would make for Sharks remaining games,(full fit squad).

1.Beast-off for Smit last 20 min
2.Bissie
3.Jannie- off for Van staden after 50 min.
4.Sykes- off for mostert last 20 min
5.Hargreaves
6.Botes- off for keegan last 20 min
7.Deysel- off for kankowski last 20 min
8.Alberts
9.Mcloed
10.Lambie - swop to 12 last 20 min
11.JPP
12.Bosman- swop to 10 last 20 min
13.Stef (C)- off last 20 min for Jacobs
14.Ndungane- move to 15 last 20 min
15.Ludik- go off for Mvovo last 20 min who goes to 14 with odwa going 15.

Last edited:
Well it sure as hell makes it harder to gauge WTF is happening when 80% percent of log tables only show the no. of wins and games played, some might even throw in the BP earned for good measure

But I have only ever seen a couple of logs that includes no. of byes column, so if you are looking at a log with only games/wins represented, you are left befuddled as to whether they have got a bunch of bonus points or had a bye, I mean not even the TRF logs have the bye thingy :(

Unless you see they've played 1 less than the others (IE had a bye).

What are your thoughts on Deon Fourie replacing the injured Tiaan Liebenberg this season?

I was concerned about a possible lack of grunt in the pack and the line-outs. The rest made up for Liebenberg's loss but the line-outs weren't great. First time in a while we lost 2/3 balls per game on our own through regularly. That said, he is great when the game opens up a bit.

I don't think it is at all a bad thing with Bosman at 10...he is awesome at getting the backs going forward and i can't say enough about how awesome his distribution is. He also Defends better than Potgieter. We only lose some kicking skills, but we will be looking to play a ball in hand approach in SA , so won't be a problem.

I hear what your saying but losing accuracy WRT goal kicking could cost you a game against this Stormers side. A couple of games have been determined by goal kicking where Grant came out on top and in Durban with a slippery ball...

Last edited:
I will do a JJR and give my preferred starting 15:

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Steven Sykes
5. Alistair Hargreaves
6. Jacques Botes
7. Willem Alberts
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Conrad Hoffmann
10.Meyer Bosman
11.Lwazi Mvovo
12.Riaan Swanepoel
13.Stefan Terblanche
14.Odwa Ndungane
15.Louis Ludik

No surprises there except for Hoffmann. I think McLeod is scarily off form. He has had 3 shocker games in a row. Time for someone else to get a chance and what team better to make your starting debut against than your former team?

On the bench I would like to see Mostert in stead of Bresler.

I will do a JJR and give my preferred starting 15:

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Steven Sykes
5. Alistair Hargreaves
6. Jacques Botes
7. Willem Alberts
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Conrad Hoffmann
10.Meyer Bosman
11.Lwazi Mvovo
12.Riaan Swanepoel
13.Stefan Terblanche
14.Odwa Ndungane
15.Louis Ludik

No surprises there except for Hoffmann. I think McLeod is scarily off form. He has had 3 shocker games in a row. Time for someone else to get a chance and what team better to make your starting debut against than your former team?

On the bench I would like to see Mostert in stead of Bresler.

Mostert will be...that is why he was at 18 against crusaders and not bresler. I am still not convinced about swannie at 12...we need more creativity in our midfield...Jacobs deserves a chance...i hope he does. It seems like riaan will be at 12; but i don't get why Jacobs always has to be seen as an impact player off the bench. I think his defence is fine...sharks must stop worrying about that, i mean Riaan could just get rounded by JDV.

Last edited:
You can have bad line-outs but I would be worried if your kick offs would be as bad as, for instance, the Cheetahs. Sias Ebersohn managed to knock 3(!) consecutive kick offs out on the full haha

You can have bad line-outs but I would be worried if your kick offs would be as bad as, for instance, the Cheetahs. Sias Ebersohn managed to knock 3(!) consecutive kick offs out on the full haha

Hey! What's this Cheetahs remark doing in the Sharks V Stormers forum :D

... I wouldn't normally correct you Zeq (as your knowledge of South African rugby exceeds mine), but I believe Ebersohn was only responsible for the third kick, and that it was the full back who put the first two out on the full :D

Damn!!! You were right man. I knew saving the matches would come in handy one day haha. It was Riaan Viljoen twice in 3 minutes, Sias Ebersohn did only the third 15 minutes later

Damn!!! You were right man. I knew saving the matches would come in handy one day haha. It was Riaan Viljoen twice in 3 minutes, Sias Ebersohn did only the third 15 minutes later

Yeah, the Cheetahs were well and truly rattled by that stage, and made a number of basic mistakes ... I guess you'll be picking the Stormers to win the Sharks V Stormers game then :p

Stormers haven't beaten the Sharks since 2004, so who knows. Sharks are back at the Tank after 5 weeks which will give us a boost. All depends on the line-outs which will be the origin of the running attacks.

The two NZ games didn't allow the Sharks to bring their best rugby so should stimulate them to preform well.

Excuse me? I think that in London we showed the World what we can do. We scored 4 tries of which 2 were strong pushing ones, the other 2 were an individual run and a good passing game.

We did not get a chance in Hamilton because we struggle when it's wet which is odd for Sharks of course ;) However, we did not concede a try against the Chiefs. The game at Twickenham (Still so happy I was there) was a show from both ends. If JLP had his kickingboots on right, we would have even gotten a second bonus point

Stormers haven't beaten the Sharks since 2004, so who knows. Sharks are back at the Tank after 5 weeks which will give us a boost. All depends on the line-outs which will be the origin of the running attacks.

I guess it's good timing for the Stormers to get the Sharks after 5 weeks away ... I know it's really difficult for visiting teams to win at the Shark Tank, but i'm gonna go with the Stormers (sorry) ... not that anyone should worry, my accuracy on picking game results in South Africa isn't that good ... should be close ... maybe an 8 point win to the Stormers :)

Yeah I know, just for the record I'm not attacking your team. Just the wrong choice of words ;-)

@ bates:

haha. Don't worry. I know you better than that. You should come to Holland for a weekend man. We can watch Super Rugby and drink a beer just like back in February

@ Shaggs:

Stormers will eventually win again when they play the Sharks but the question is when? The Blues haven't beaten us since 2006 and they also went home without scoring a try. We will see.

@ bates:

haha. Don't worry. I know you better than that. You should come to Holland for a weekend man. We can watch Super Rugby and drink a beer just like back in February

@ Shaggs:

Stormers will eventually win again when they play the Sharks but the question is when? The Blues haven't beaten us since 2006 and they also went home without scoring a try. We will see.

... yes, records are all well an good, but the Sharks have looked a little bit fragile since the Rebels game IMO -I know they are a totally different prospect at home, and they played very well last week, but ... battered Shark was on the menu last week, Fin soup this week! :p

The thing is, Stormers have shown that they can win games without scoring tries. The question is whether the Sharks can penetrate more than other teams have thus far. I would have said yes but with Durban humidity and a reshuffled Sharks backline....

If I weren't worried about the Stormers line-out with Deon Fourie at 2 I'd say Stormers for sure.

THE RETURN OF DEYSEL!!!!!!

He will be making his return to rugby 2morrow for Sharks XV against Griquas in Kimberly. What is also interesting is that Swanepoel is in the team so JLP must be fit or Tian Meyer has been taken from the Pumas. Yes...i think Jacobs will finally get his chance to shine once again!!!

The Sharks XV
15. Kobus de Kock
14. Mark Richards
13. Jerome Pretorius
12. Riaan Swanepoel
11. Rosco Specman
10. Guy Cronje
9. Ross Cronje (Capt)
8. Marcell Coetzee
7. Jean Deysel
6. Francois Kleinhans
5. Ross Skeate