TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Saturday, 2nd April, Durban
Kick-off 17h05, local time

It's going to be a tough match with the winner likely to top the conference at this stage; Stormers will want to keep up their momentum and the Sharks will look to get back to winning ways after back-to-back losses on tour. Earning 12 points on what was a tough tour should probably be seen as success though.

The Sharks will have home advantage but have played 1 more game than the Stormers and have had a demanding travel schedule. I am sure they will pitch up for the derby and we will see another hotly contested fixture of super rugby.

On the injury front the Sharks have lost their 2 first choice flyhalves in Lambie and Potgieter with outback JP Pietersen also injured as well as prop Eugene van Staden and flanker Jean Deysel. The Stormers have 2 first choice flankers injured in captain Schalk Burger and Pieter Louw joining the injured 1st choice fullback Conrad Jantjes, hooker Tiaan Liebenberg and lock Anton van Zyl. Although Burger might see action this week.

Last edited:
As much as I like the Sharks, I don't wan't them to win. The Stormers are doing the best so far, and I hope that they will continue their form for the rest of the tournament. I always cheer loudest for whichever of our teams is doing the best. I don't care who wins the tournament, as long as it's a South African team.

My prediction Stormers by a comfortable 10 but SA derbies is always so hard to predict. Normally I wont say so but I think Sharks are not up to it , Lambie out is very bad for them. Plus their 3rd flyhalf in as many games !! If Smit starts then its def over for them , the beast needs to start for them to have any chance , they just came back from a loooong tour and the Stormers have finally woken up !! So jaa , will be it so or will I have egg on my face come Monday ? Time will tell.

My prediction Stormers by a comfortable 10 but SA derbies is always so hard to predict. Normally I wont say so but I think Sharks are not up to it , Lambie out is very bad for them. Plus their 3rd flyhalf in as many games !! If Smit starts then its def over for them , the beast needs to start for them to have any chance , they just came back from a loooong tour and the Stormers have finally woken up !! So jaa , will be it so or will I have egg on my face come Monday ? Time will tell.

I'm confident as well albeit a little more quietly.

We have struggled against them recently because of getting bullied up front. I can't see it happen this time round, not after the Bulls game; Elstadt adds a lot in that department for us and they are without Deysel. Kanko is a dud for them IMO and if Smit starts ahead of Beast that also counts in our advantage.

Lambie out is big as he scored all the points against us in the CC final and just adds that something extra to the Sharks (difference between this years S15 and last years' bad start to the season). With Potgieter also out and Bosman going to 10 that messes with their midfield where I am sure we will be looking to target. Another player that was huge for them in the final is Andries Strauss who is now at the Cheetahs; he was hugely abbrassive in the final and disrupted us. Terblanche and Jacobs can both be a thorn but I wouldn't call either imposing in any way.

So, ja, if our forwards can match it with the Sharks, which I am sure we will, and if we can continue with the attacking enterprise we showed against the Force I see a Stormers victory even with the game being played at Kings Park.

I have to stop you there! Lambie scored 25 of 30 points in the CC final. You forgot about the first try that was scored by McLeod ;)

Deysel out (It has ben 8 months now) is a big loss still. I prefer Botes to play in stead of Daniel. Kankowski can be amazing if it's dry. He has a good running game in him for a nr. 8 and with Botes and Alberts we have 2 good flankers for the scrum

Firstly people Van Staden, JPP are Fit!!! Did you not watch the game against Crusaders. Deysel was a huge loss, but Alberts has been playing his role brilliantly. Deysel is also expected to be in the running to play Vodacom Cup this weekend. Also Bosman was crazy good when he went to 10 for the last 20 against Crusaders. Distribution was world class and he also attacked the advantage line very well...if we lose anything with Pat and JLP out is the goal kicking aspect.

Sharks team shoudl look like this after the Bye-

1.Beast
2.Bissie
3.Jannie
4.Sykes
5.Hargreaves
6.Botes
7.Alberts
8.Kanko
9.Mcloed
10.Lambie
11.JPP
12.Bosman
13.Stef (C)
14.Ndungane
15.Ludik

16.Smit
17.Van Staden
18.Mostert
19.Daniel
20.Deysel
21.Hoffman
22.JLP

Unfortunately it seems Jacobs might miss out, unless Plum chooses to rotate Botes/Keegan in and out of the 22. I have always preferred Adi over Stef at 13, but we will see what happens. Looks like one of our trio of Springbok wings could also miss out...but i think when our squad is full like this Plum will adopt a lot more of a rotational approach to the squad. Keep everyone fresh for Playoffs.

Don't want to give a Prediction, but all i will say is that i will be a happy spectator come the end of the game at Kings Park...my voice will probably also be gone.:)

Last edited:
This game is at 3am NZ time on Sunday morning, and it should be a cracker!

Normally, I wouldn't get up for an all SA clash, but this one is different and I'll be up for it.

@ JJR: a 5-2 split on the bench?

Plum went that route last year when all the loosies were fit...i personally don't like that split because i feel we need a proper 13 on the bench in Jacobs. So i think we shoudl just rotate our whole loose trio and make sure evryone is fresh...when Deysel is 100% to start i think Alberts should take a weekend off to freshen up. Mangement of our loose trio is going to be tough because they are all so good. All i know is that We need a Alberts/Deysel at 7 every time we play.

This game is at 3am NZ time on Sunday morning, and it should be a cracker!

Normally, I wouldn't get up for an all SA clash, but this one is different and I'll be up for it.

Hope you enjoy it...i will be shouting from the stands and will try to get on the tube somehow...maybe run across the pitch?

As much as I like the Sharks, I don't wan't them to win. The Stormers are doing the best so far, and I hope that they will continue their form for the rest of the tournament. I always cheer loudest for whichever of our teams is doing the best. I don't care who wins the tournament, as long as it's a South African team.

Stormers have had a bye which is a free 4 points and The Sharks have just come back from tour and we have played around 3 of our games in crappy wet or humid conditions. After the game i think you will be rooting The Sharks home. +we have only played one Sa team...we won CC and we know how to beat the other sides. It does not matter how much momentum Stormers bring into the game...we saw what happened in the final last year when they came off a good Semi...still got dominated. I don't expect that score differnce this time, but The Sharks should take it by around 5.

Stormers look amazing this season but let's face it:

Sharks played all matches overseas so far. We got 12 points out of it which is something to be proud of. We beat the Blues and Cheetahs at home without conceding a single try. Only 2 teams managed to score tries against us so far. Stormers at home can go either way but I think the Sharks will take this one. Playing at home is a big advantage for the Sharks.

Interesting...many fans are talking that Ndungane should play 13 in order to allow mvovo and Jpp to start, when we have an injury free squad. I think it is certainly an option. What do you guys think?

If any of you want a place to post fast and actually speak to many knowlegeable Sharks people go to www.sharksworld.co.za and register, it is great fun. And for some fantasy rugby head to www.justrugby.net . A bit late now if you hoping to win superrugby, but still fun.

Last edited:
I really am against this whole 'playing domestic teams twice' thing. I mean, the more overseas teams our players can knock over, the better our own chances are of having SA teams in the finals. Now, we are not even playing certain overseas teams, and are going to end up knocking ourselves over. Stupid stupid format. The whole point of this tournament is to put the best clubs from the Tri Nations against each other. Now it's an extended Currie Cup with a few games against international competition. Can't stand it. We are now seeing a max of 2 SA teams playing international teams per weekend, whereas in the past we would have weekends where all 5 of our teams are playing someone from Aus and NZ. We would only have the local derby's at the start and end of each season. Absolutely hate it.

I really am against this whole 'playing domestic teams twice' thing. I mean, the more overseas teams our players can knock over, the better our own chances are of having SA teams in the finals. Now, we are not even playing certain overseas teams, and are going to end up knocking ourselves over. Stupid stupid format. The whole point of this tournament is to put the best clubs from the Tri Nations against each other. Now it's an extended Currie Cup with a few games against international competition. Can't stand it. We are now seeing a max of 2 SA teams playing international teams per weekend, whereas in the past we would have weekends where all 5 of our teams are playing someone from Aus and NZ. We would only have the local derby's at the start and end of each season. Absolutely hate it.

I'm not quite so upset, but I certainly see your point. For a start, teams are no longer rewarded for how good they are compared to 15 teams, but more compared to 5 teams. It essentially punish people for having a competitive conference. With more local derbies, there is a lot of competition for national spots, and while that's good, with several RWC spots up for grabs, I can't see how pitting potential opposition up against each other, twice, is going to do the national teams any good. Regardless of that, there is more rugby, and as much as I love rugby, it's a stupid idea. One of the fundemental reasons why SH teams are often able to mantain a higher standard than NH teams, can partly come down to the amount of rugby one side plays. Fatigue is a real issue, and in a RWC year, there is no point burning every resourse we have, especially considering we still have a Tri Nations and warm up games before the tornement even begins.

I think overall the rugby has been attractive, enjoyable and fiercely contested throughout, at least in the NZ and SA conferences, however it will come to the detriment of our national sides, and it does mean that you end up missing two teams a year. It's not all doom and gloom, but I'd rather just play a 15 man conference system, than the current 3 sets of 5 we currently have.

Sharks fans are confident in the Sharks. Stormers fans are confident in the Stormers. Going to be a great game.

Odwa at 13... mmmmm...

If we are going to put one of the wings there, why not J.P.?
He seemed to be very involved in midfield in the Crusaders game, don't know if that was Plumtrees tactic, but it sure as hell irritated me because that meant we have only Beast and Bismarck on the left wing at times

Beast didn't do too shabby at wing though. Hmmm.... I wonder.....

Did you guys know the Stormers haven't won against the Sharks in years? Even at Newlands ;)

I'm not quite so upset, but I certainly see your point. For a start, teams are no longer rewarded for how good they are compared to 15 teams, but more compared to 5 teams. It essentially punish people for having a competitive conference. With more local derbies, there is a lot of competition for national spots, and while that's good, with several RWC spots up for grabs, I can't see how pitting potential opposition up against each other, twice, is going to do the national teams any good. Regardless of that, there is more rugby, and as much as I love rugby, it's a stupid idea. One of the fundemental reasons why SH teams are often able to mantain a higher standard than NH teams, can partly come down to the amount of rugby one side plays. Fatigue is a real issue, and in a RWC year, there is no point burning every resourse we have, especially considering we still have a Tri Nations and warm up games before the tornement even begins.

I think overall the rugby has been attractive, enjoyable and fiercely contested throughout, at least in the NZ and SA conferences, however it will come to the detriment of our national sides, and it does mean that you end up missing two teams a year. It's not all doom and gloom, but I'd rather just play a 15 man conference system, than the current 3 sets of 5 we currently have.

Take your points Nick and Jer1cho, but I don't mind the local derbies, particularly in World Cup year - in NZ there hasn't been All Black trial matches for years, but the local derbies do allow us amateur selectors to see the key contenders for the various positions to match up against each other more often.

It also takes away the home ground advantage a bit, as each team plays each other at home and away.

As for fatigue, yes, more games equals more fatigue, but the current format also requires less international travel which equals less fatigue ... I guess the coaches will need to manage their squads to prevent player burn out.

If this game is televised at 3 am in NZ, it should be on at the rather civilised hour of 10 pm where I am :D (haven't checked the listings yet) ... should be a great game/game of the round

Latest posts