• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Second Test: Australia vs. British and Irish Lions (29/06/13)

Welcome! I think you're pretty close to it there mate, apart from a couple of calls:

Pack - spot on imo.
As you say, Bowe is a better winger, and to be honest that's all that matters - we can't go and pick Cuthbert just because in the past hes scored in big games. Bowe has too, don't forget.
Roberts is questionable, but not indefensible. He's looked unthreatening in his matches to date on tour, and has made mistakes when carrying. Still, we know he can be good and I think you're right - Gatland will go for it. I just pray that Tuilagi makes the bench, at least. Because in terms of his performances on tour (and arguably before) he deserves a starting spot far more than Roberts.
Philips is divisive but again I think you're right to have him back. For me, it's as simple as this: (I think it will be a) predominantly Welsh pack are now used to having that physicality around the pack, and certain players look rather lost when they don't have it. Bring him back, if only to bring out the best in others. Particularly Lydiate, for example.

Fair enough in regards to Bowe , TBH I would start Tuilagi at 13 but I think BOD might be captain ? I don't think we've seen Roberts and Tuilagi together yet have we ?? Phillips had a stinker in the 1st test but he will come out a different animal in the 3rd

True enough, I suppose I'm still dreaming of '09 Roberts, where he'd hit people then offload to BOD in space.

Those guys have 3-4 inches on him. Two stone is hyperbole, but I'm struggling to find another prop in international rugby who possesses a higher weight to height ratio.

And it's not about how long you're on the field, but how much you do while on it.

Didn't look very hard then. Your very own Afoa is the same height and only 1kg lighter (and also immense in the loose).

France's Luc Ducalcon is the exact same height and weight. In fact, of the top 5 tightheads named by rugbyrama. Ducalcon and Hayman are the lightest both the same as Adam at 120, the others Wihongi, Johnston and Tialata are all pushing 130 (http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-1...rs-droits-de-la-saison_sto3791305/story.shtml), all taller but Wihongi is 3cm taller and 10kg heavier (http://www.castres-olympique.com/equipe/effectifs.php), Tialata is only 4cm taller and Johnston 6cm so I doubt that Adam is above them in ratio either. Johnston is immense in the loose as well despite his weight.

So there I think there is pretty solid evidence that you can be that weight. And those were just the top props named above, there are a whole bunch of even heavier props who have played international rugby. Ollie le Roux was the same height as Adam and much heavier, his weight stats range from early 120's up to 135. Mako Vunipola is shorter and 10kg heavier (http://www.rfu.com/squadsandplayers/englandelite/makovunipola).

Also to be an international prop, you need to be a top scrummager. So regardless of weight, that's what's most important as to whether you are suitable to international rugby at prop. So I don't quite get how he can be too overweight for international rugby, when he clearly isn't otherwise he wouldn't be in the squad in the first place. Adam has evolved to become adequate enough in the loose anyway these days, and is in the top 5 top scrummagers at least in world rugby if not top 5.

Is that why though, Duck?

Adam's been puffing pretty bad come the 50th minute in games. And, in virtually all positions we have highly related replacements, and they still don't often enter the fray until much later.

Props can be 120kg and do a full 80... I think maybe Feicarsinn's point is that, on the evidence of this tour, Adam Jones isn't one of those players :p

It's pretty obvious that a prop with more weight is different to a fly half or winger. In France it's basically a tactic of every single top team there like Toulouse and Clermont to have two sets of international front rows and change at 55 minutes. Leicester brought on Castro this season at 50 or 60 ahead of Cole as well, that's what teams do when you have two good props. If you have Carter and Sexton, a coach will probably still play Carter 80 minutes. If you have two good props, normally a coach would play them 50/30 or 60/20, especially since there are now two props on the bench and you can bring props back on as well. It's a clear difference between positions.

If someone is a good player for an hour and you have a good sub to come on I don't see the problem either. Adam has gone off every game with a lead as well and done well scrummaging. It was the impact of the prop who was better in the loose who nearly cost the 1st Test, and it was a bloody awful decision to take Corbisiero and Adam off together that early.

Adam played at least 70 or more in every 6N game as well, and could have played 80 in most of them with coaches giving players 2 minutes at the end for the sake of it in some games such as the England one. And has offered moments like this late on in games as well.

diapoa0b592fd8f475233f5b59a9767ebc459.gif

Philips is divisive but again I think you're right to have him back. For me, it's as simple as this: (I think it will be a) predominantly Welsh pack are now used to having that physicality around the pack, and certain players look rather lost when they don't have it.

Phillips played behind an entire Welsh pack last year and was awful vs Australia. The fact he plays with them doesn't mean you keep a poor performing player. A large amount of the Welsh pack played for the Ospreys superbly when they thrashed Munster and beat Leinster in 2012 with Fotuali'i and Webb at 9. 4 or 5 of the pack won't be Welsh anyway.

Cole for Jones - I'll take flak for this, and there's obvious risks attached, but Adam Jones has managed a grand total of 6 tackles in the tests to Cole's 9, despite obviously having more time on the pitch. Jones can't keep up with play to positively influence it outside of the scrums; Cole might.

I'd agree with you if Cole was playing at all well. Unfortunately he's been totally underwhelming all tour.

Adam Jones did look to be tiring when he was hauled off on Sat. He began missing tackles around the fringes, and in general his workrate was dropping.

I'm not entirely sure what's up with him. His workrate around the fringes is usually good, making plenty of tackles, but as you say he's not done his fair share in the first two tests.

Still, he starts for me, mainly because Cole hasn't shown this tour that we can trust him in the scrums.

Not many on here are addressing the lineout issue which was a huge problem on Sat.

It is much easier to call a line out with 3 credible jumpers than it is to call one with only 2. Likewise, it is FAR more difficult to defend/steal/disrupt a lineout that has 3 credible jumpers than one with only 2. This is why Croft has to play. Target men of AWJ, Parling and Croft with good movement will keep the Aussies guessing and the Lions will get much better quality lineout ball. The lineout is CRUCIAL to the Lions' kick/chase game.

Warburton is injured so a backrow of Croft, Heaslip/Faletau, SOB does the business

I'd argue Davies was slightly better than BOD, as his errors weren't so calamitous, but that's splitting hairs.

Apart from missing his man and letting AAC score in the dying minutes of the match so the Aussies win the game!! :D

Is that not calamitous enough? I don't know how much MORE calamitous you can get on a rugby pitch!

Tuilagi has to start. Personally, I'd like to see Roberts & Tuilagi in the centre, but it WG that sees these guys train, not me

Would agree with Duck regards prop issue 100% but I'd also back it up with the issue Adam does tire at 60min mark lately but it seems Cole has the stature of a man who feels he doesn't have the full trust of coaching team and this is where issue is. Same I'd say maybe could be said for lads like Hogg who knew they were only ever going to be midweek lads

I'd agree with you if Cole was playing at all well. Unfortunately he's been totally underwhelming all tour.

Adam Jones did look to be tiring when he was hauled off on Sat. He began missing tackles around the fringes, and in general his workrate was dropping.

I'm not entirely sure what's up with him. His workrate around the fringes is usually good, making plenty of tackles, but as you say he's not done his fair share in the first two tests.

Still, he starts for me, mainly because Cole hasn't shown this tour that we can trust him in the scrums.

He missed 1 tackle, so not "tackles", and others such as Davies missed 3 including the try. The reason that Cole has made more tackles is because Australia have had much more ball in the last minutes of matches and got stronger as the game wears on. In fact, the Lions have been leading both matches Adam has gone off. Yet in the periods he's been off the Lions have come second best, which shows Australia are finishing better. Cole makes more tackles anyway, add to Australia have had more ball with him on.

Also since when did people start judging props simply on tackle counts? We gained 9 of 15 points last weekend from the scrum. I would much rather have the scrummager regardless of what they do in the loose as opposed to what nearly cost the 1st Test, and nearly cost the series actually. It seems some have forgotten as far as 1 test back, or the start of this last one with Vunipola (who actually recovered and the scrum won more points than it lost which he should get credit for) as to what happens when you have props on tackle count ahead of scrummaging.

I would be happy as an opponent if Ireland lined up Tony Buckley who is handy in the loose opposed to Mike Ross.

His snack of choice is feasting on English props.

diapo660ab6c2023aba6e6c16bf9472161ab6.gif

Last edited:

Cole seemed to improve the scrum when he came on this weekend and in the first test he was fine until Hibbard and Parling were brought on. I think he had around five scrums before that which were all np. I don't know why Dan Cole is getting so much **** to be honest, sure he may not be as good in the scrum as Jones but he offers so much more elsewhere.

He missed 1 tackle, so not "tackles", and others such as Davies missed 3 including the try. The reason that Cole has made more tackles is because Australia have had much more ball in the last minutes of matches and got stronger as the game wears on. In fact, the Lions have been leading both matches Adam has gone off. Yet in the periods he's been off the Lions have come second best, which shows Australia are finishing better. Cole makes more tackles anyway, add to Australia have had more ball with him on.

Also since when did people start judging props simply on tackle counts? We gained 9 of 15 points last weekend from the scrum. I would much rather have the scrummager regardless of what they do in the loose as opposed to what nearly cost the 1st Test, and nearly cost the series actually. It seems some have forgotten as far as 1 test back, or the start of this last one with Vunipola (who actually recovered and the scrum won more points than it lost which he should get credit for) as to what happens when you have props on tackle count ahead of scrummaging.
Perhaps the coaches believe that a fully rested Cole is as good in the scrum as a tiring Jones? The best Lions scrum of the game FWIW was one of the first (can't remember which - maybe the first or second?) Cole came on to. And the Lions were generally better in the scrum as the game went on. As far as first game goes, I happen to think that the drop off in scrummaging quality when the replacements came on had more to do with Corbs being replaced by Vunipola, rather than Jones by Cole, because even Jones struggled at times with Vunipola for a prop partner in the second test.

Duck, as always you make some very valid points but, seriously...if you post that gif ever again I'm going to seriously lose it :p

We all know Jones is the 'premier tighthead', but that gif disservices Corbisiero and Cole. Corbs was very new back then, and has come a long way. That day his engine room was Mouritz Botha and Geoff Parling, as opposed to Alun Wyn and Ian Evans - a stark contrast, and not what you need at your back in the biggest game of your career to date against the worlds best tighthead.

I know you're not a Cole fan, but there are dozens and dozens of gifs you could make showcasing the packs in europe and the Aviva that he's given trouble to - including Saints, Toulon..

It also seems to me that whenever Hibbard has come off the bench the scrum has become markedly more stable. Obviously not sure how much to read into this as the scrum is a complex beast, but could it be that Hibbard is a more reliable middle-man in the front row? Vunipola seemed to do a lot better at holding his own straight after Hibbard came on. Coincidence? I'm not entirely sure...

It also seems to me that whenever Hibbard has come off the bench the scrum has become markedly more stable. Obviously not sure how much to read into this as the scrum is a complex beast, but could it be that Hibbard is a more reliable middle-man in the front row? Vunipola seemed to do a lot better at holding his own straight after Hibbard came on. Coincidence? I'm not entirely sure...

Hibbard is definitely a better scrummager than Youngs but with Crobs and Jones it was fine, I really felt Grant should've started his scrummaging is just better. I would hate to be Vunipola in that position having being surpassed by those called up having been in the orignal squad..

Just to throw it out there, maybe what went down in the scrum partly had to do with Australia as well? :p (As in, maybe the Australian scrum diminishes when Alexander comes off? What's the drop-off in scrummaging ability between Alexander and Kepu?)

Duck, as always you make some very valid points but, seriously...if you post that gif ever again I'm going to seriously lose it :p

We all know Jones is the 'premier tighthead', but that gif disservices Corbisiero and Cole. Corbs was very new back then, and has come a long way. That day his engine room was Mouritz Botha and Geoff Parling, as opposed to Alun Wyn and Ian Evans - a stark contrast, and not what you need at your back in the biggest game of your career to date against the worlds best tighthead.

I know you're not a Cole fan, but there are dozens and dozens of gifs you could make showcasing the packs in europe and the Aviva that he's given trouble to - including Saints, Toulon..

I know full well about the merits of Cole, and know that he is a top tighthead. Especially with Leicester who have a top scrum and not when Marler is loosehead. It is obvious he is a top tighthead otherwise he wouldn't have kept Castro out this season. However most of my posts about him have been in response to him being billed as the best in the world or as Lions starter, which I disagree with. Not to say I don't rate him.

Also I think far too much debate and worry has gone into the Lions scrum (which won 9 points last weekend), and not enough criticism of the Cementball attacking tactics which looked as likely as scoring tries for the Lions against Australia as they do for Wales. Was there actually a really good linebreak or real chance created last weekend?

The decision to appoint Howley as attack coach looks a poor one, especially when Schmidt's name was mentioned in this role. Close losses to Australia, Gatland is delivering what his record suggested it would. Gatland has won 1 of 9 matches with Australia with the strongest Wales side of the pro era whilst Australia have not been at the top. His record is even worse if you add the dozen matches he lost against them with Ireland as well.

Hibbard is a renowned scrummaging hooker. The difference between him and Baldwin at the Ospreys is marked. Hibbard is essentially a third prop really, he was on when the Barbarians game when the Lions got the better of a pretty good front row with Vunipola on.

Australia bringing on their weaker scrummager James Slipper also made a big difference, he's not near Robinson as a prop. He came on early last year vs France and was destroyed by Vincent Debaty, and also conceded the match losing penalty in that Scotland game last year in the scrum. I don't know how he managed to have a good 10 minutes in the scrum in the 1st test, it certainly is contradictory to the rest of his career.

Also I think far too much debate and worry has gone into the Lions scrum (which won 9 points last weekend), and not enough criticism of the Cementball attacking tactics which looked as likely as scoring tries for the Lions against Australia as they do for Wales. Was there actually a really good linebreak or real chance created last weekend?
What do you mean by cementball tactics?

I know full well about the merits of Cole, and know that he is a top tighthead. Especially with Leicester who have a top scrum and not when Marler is loosehead. It is obvious he is a top tighthead otherwise he wouldn't have kept Castro out this season. However most of my posts about him have been in response to him being billed as the best in the world or as Lions starter, which I disagree with. Not to say I don't rate him.

The decision to appoint Howley as attack coach looks a poor one, especially when Schmidt's name was mentioned in this role. Close losses to Australia, Gatland is delivering what his record suggested it would. Gatland has won 1 of 9 matches with Australia with the strongest Wales side of the pro era whilst Australia have not been at the top. His record is even worse if you add the dozen matches he lost against them with Ireland as well.

Hibbard is a renowned scrummaging hooker. The difference between him and Baldwin at the Ospreys is marked. Hibbard is essentially a third prop really, he was on when the Barbarians game when the Lions got the better of a pretty good front row with Vunipola on.

Australia bringing on their weaker scrummager James Slipper also made a big difference, he's not near Robinson as a prop. He came on early last year vs France and was destroyed by Vincent Debaty, and also conceded the match losing penalty in that Scotland game last year in the scrum. I don't know how he managed to have a good 10 minutes in the scrum in the 1st test, it certainly is contradictory to the rest of his career.

Well, I agree with pretty much all of that - I think I could be forgiven for thinking you didn't rate Cole, seeing as I remember you once calling him by the name 'Dank Hole' :p
In terms of the worlds best thing... yeh... me and Olyy made this argument, but frankly I feel that Cole himself went and moved the goalposts on us right after we said that :p. He has had a seriously underwhelming couple of months for different teams. All aspects of his game seem to have dropped off. For a time, he was scrummaging the majority of opponents off the park, as well as stealing more breakdown ball than lots of 7's. However, he's currently doing none of that, apart from giving one almighty shove per game in just one scrum. Which isn't enough. There have been times on this tour when I have considered the relative merits of Stevens benching instead of Cole, and that speaks volumes.

Haven't been able to catch up on this forum, so sorry if anyone else has suggested this backrow!
I feel we just need to play our mot offensive team, because Australia defence has been superb.
6: O'Brien
7: Tipruic
8: Faletau

Jamie Roberts or Tuilagi is going to be needed at 12 in my opinion, O'Driscoll needs a big ball carrier to run off and Davies hasn't been able to do that.
Apart from that I don't think we need to make as many changes, maybe bring Evans on the bench for Croft and stick Lydiate on the bench for the backrow cover.

Well deserved win by the Aussies, just feel we'll lose on Saturday.

The decision to appoint Howley as attack coach looks a poor one, especially when Schmidt's name was mentioned in this role. Close losses to Australia, Gatland is delivering what his record suggested it would. Gatland has won 1 of 9 matches with Australia with the strongest Wales side of the pro era whilst Australia have not been at the top. His record is

I feel that more could be done with the backs the Lions have available though. For example, with the blistering form he is in, I really think the attacking game plan should bring North onto front foot ball as often as possible. He is one of the few players atm in that squad with the ability to create opportunities out of little or nothing. When Lions get those overlaps on the blindside, stop sending hookers and ball-carrying back rows up there that just go to ground, send George on a run and see what happens. We all know what he's capable of and he's hit form at exactly the right moment, but I do really think he is being under-used.

Basically, I want to see more of this:

841epb.gif
155a2k.gif

The point is, he's our best ball-carrying back atm imo, so he should be coming in off his wing more often (when it's safe to do so of course).

Latest posts