• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland, 24/02/13

I fully agree that it was that aspect of his game, his poor kicking, which was a hug factor towards us losing.
As a fly-half, not a kicker, he was decent - he just needs confidence.

Someone else taking his kicks would have been a fine idea! He's young, he's learning, it was always utter madness to place all that responsibility on him when he was completely cold which is why I said Madigan was the right call. If anything I'm surprised at how well he did goal kicking excluded. A fine young player thrown to the wolves, fantastic man management there.

Horrendous moment for Best to have his wobbles. Righted it well enough second half but the moment somewhat gone. Some of those lineout calls in the first half were mad though.

Marshall had a very good game but it still a little sloppy occasionally in those final moments. It'll sharpen up. Mindyou, that final pass from ROG was unsympathetic as you like. There is no moment in which ROG is the right call. None. Leading up to that final scrum, ROG was stood behind Reddan, an absolute passenger - nevermind that kick.

Earls very poor. Apart from Heaslip and O'Brien, can't say I remember too much in the way of carrying from the Irish forwards.

@Peat
Missed line kick from a penalty at 8-0. Dropped pass. No threat to break himself.

I'd praise Marshall for bursting through tackles (the 12 shirt is his now) and O'Driscoll for his decoy line particularly on the second line break.

I'm absolutely right to criticize his consistently poor goal kicking when he's picked for that role.

Murray and Marshall were just as responsible for the choke tackle turnover.

He defended well and deserved to start over O'Gara. O'Gara's performance means Jackson will still definitely be ahead of him. I think Jackson should have been on the bench with Madigan starting and was consistent in saying so.

Heaslip was a penalty machine again. If he wasn't captain, he'd be out of the team IMO.

Fair enough on the missed kick, shouldn't have happened. Harping on about one dropped ball is incredible though, everyone drops one now and again - unsighted for his first touch of a 6N ball. Disagree about line breaking, he might never have gone himself but the fact he attacked the line ready to threaten it allowed him to create those line breaks. No line break is ever a single man endeavour - just as no choke tackle is a single man - but Jackson played his part in terms of vision, hands and timing in those moments to perfection. Should be fully praised for that.

I will not defend the indefensible; his goal kicking was very poor. And he probably should have never been taking them really. And I've always agreed Madigan was the man for this game. But Jackson was the man on the park. His overall performance? Not too good, no. Very poor is very harsh when he did most things right - some very right - apart from one crucial aspect.

Last edited:
silly result...O'Gara will be damned forever now by the Irish...wtvr happened to him, he was brilliant before. That kick pass was...well just plain crazy. Yes, I think his life was flashing before his eyes as he kicked it, or maybe did he come into the game drunk ?

Anyways: Scotland flat as fk yet again, they'll just simply never take advantage of the back 3 there, wingers and fullback...when's the last time I've seen a true constructed try by them against a solid defense....wowwwww...

Ireland: everybody will be saying the same thing...territorial domination, never made it count, Gilroy's fantastic, Sexton was so helplessly missed and that new kid has a long way to go with that boot but some good passing otherwise...
Ireland and France have shown flashes of excellent attack, but never with consistency, and always followed by silly mistakes...two most aesthetic teams in the tournament by far, but not nearly the best level of play overall...

Interesting result, seems this is the most unpredictable 6 Nations ever. The game itself I could have missed, but couldn't get to sleep anyway and in an hour I'll be going for a 9+ hour hike. If there was something I thought would help me get to sleep easier, I was sure it would be the 6 Nations :lol:.

If Sexton was playing we would have won. Simple.

Also, I don't like this backrow. O'Brien seems to be doing all the work, Heaslip won't play for the Lions, and he should barely be on the starting team. O'Mahony loses his temper far too often.

If Sexton was playing we would have won. Simple.

Also, I don't like this backrow. O'Brien seems to be doing all the work, Heaslip won't play for the Lions, and he should barely be on the starting team. O'Mahony loses his temper far too often.

Heaslip was good but he should never have been made captain, it has damaged him. I'd have O'Driscoll and Best as captain ahead of him.

If Sexton was fit, Ireland win that at a canter, because the scoreboard would have ticked over and with 20min left Scotland would have been out of it. Does that put the blame on Jackson? No, not really because it was his first start. I lay the blame with Declan Kidney, because it's him who has put Ireland in a position that with losing Sexton to injury, there was only O'Gara left at 10 with any experience whatsoever, and he's a 36 y/o who's performances have been slipping for the past 3-4 years. There have been opportunities to blood new players, and Kidney hasn't done so. If Jackson had 4-5 caps under his belt, then maybe a few more of those kicks would have gone over, and he wouldn't have missed touch or knocked the ball on with his first touch. None of the kicks were that difficult tbh. Maybe he's not a good enough kicker, but there are other option open to Ireland, even if it was to include McFadden on the wing for his kicking (I don't think McFadden is injured, is he?).

On another note, Heaslip is gonna struggle to make the Lions starting team on this form. Is the captaincy weighing down on him?

Interesting result, seems this is the most unpredictable 6 Nations ever. The game itself I could have missed, but couldn't get to sleep anyway and in an hour I'll be going for a 9+ hour hike. If there was something I thought would help me get to sleep easier, I was sure it would be the 6 Nations :lol:.
With Super Rugby starting back up you should have just watching one of the South African derbies.

Court - 5 (Scrums weren't his fault in the 1st half that was Ross)
Best - 2 (Awful performance unfortunately, he has these every now and then)
Ross - 3 (Bad scrummaging)
O'Callaghan - 7 (Real work horse, he played quite well today.
Ryan - 4 (Struggled at the line out and was very anonymous)
O'Mahoney -5 (Meh)
O'Brien - 7 (Great apart from penalties)
Heaslip - 5 (Would have been 7 but his captaining is very very poor)
Murray - 1 (So slow, brainless he's just a very bad player)
Jackson - 3 (Kicking cannot be forgiven)
Earls - 1 (Two tries and bad defensively, another player who must go)
Marshall - 8 (Great debut, good defensively and in attack, the drop at the end was bad from ROG not him)
O'Driscoll - 5 (Never given a chance, Scotland shut him out)
Gilroy - 6 (Very good performance but I'd like to see him get more involved)
Kearney - 5 (Solid but nothing special)

Cmac, no way is Marshall an 8. That pass had to go to Gilroy's hands. 6 or 7, given the ratings you've given to everyone else... not a lot to argue with otherwise.

Reddan looked good. That was mildly surprising.

Cmac, no way is Marshall an 8. That pass had to go to Gilroy's hands. 6 or 7, given the ratings you've given to everyone else... not a lot to argue with otherwise.

Reddan looked good. That was mildly surprising.

It was really his only mistake of the day though, apart from his kick after ROG's but yeah a 7 would be fairer.

The game at this level is all about the top inches, and Ireland didn't have that today.

Marshall would have been my MOTM, he was very good in both attack and defence. Stand out player for Ireland.

Im sorry but those kicks have to be taken at this level, points mean prizes in this game regardless of post match stats. Jackson had a fine performance in open play but he lacks the confidence for kicking. It must be said that in the begginning of Sexton's international career in around 2010 his kicking was below standard. Im sure Jackson will improve his kicking but if you want to win close test matches a competent goal kicker is a must. If only there was someone who had an open game performance like Jackson but could kick....

Murray was absolutely shocking, his delivery was atrocious and his tempo is awful. Reddan was far better coming on and I'd love to see him with Madigan or Jackson.

Scrum was under pressure, which is surprising but this game has shown how important Healy is to us. He scrummaging is so under rated and his partnership with Ross is crucial. France will have a field day against that scrum, and I don't know who's better to pick Kilcoyne or Court.

The Backrow was again so unbalanced, SOB goes to ground to early and POM went missing abit. Heaslip gave away to many penalties, will Jordi Murphy begin to challenge him at Leinster in the next couple of years?

Kidney can't be blamed for us not winning, we had the opportunity but couldn't take it, not really his fault. What is his fault is the inadequate team rotation and selection over the last 3 years. Had Jackson been played on the bench against both SA and Argentina, then he would have had the experience that would have given him more confidence in this game. Although everyone was happy to see Kidney had dropped ROG, as it turns out, he still had a hugely negative effect on the performance.

It was really his only mistake of the day though, apart from his kick after ROG's but yeah a 7 would be fairer.

Pretty big mistake though! It's the one thing annoying me about him, he seems to switch off/mess up his execution at vital moments, probably why I picked up on it.

You'e rating system is completely different to anyone's I've ever seen cmac. Do you have minuses as part of it? 1,2 and 3 are very emotional ratings IMO. Murray and Best were bad not that bad. Just cause Murray didn't play well and is probably your least favorite player in the world doesn't mean he deserves a one.

I don't think Murray did too bad of a job. & Best usually does more in the loose which was dissapointing.

60660_rogwtf.gif

Murray was far to slow, we talk about these couple of inches as a margin in international games, and that lack of speed at the breakdown slowed the ball down way to much.

My God do you never stop complaining about things you obviously do not understand or appreciate?

I presume that this is another day off, duvet day for you or are you still unemployed as you did not go to work after the last 6N match?

Twitter

Will Carling - Smart call to bring O'Gara on. The man can run a game & kick any points on offer #6nations

Got that one right Will..................!!

Latest posts