• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland, 24/02/13

The players threw that away, not the coaches. Ireland should have been 15 points clear at half time.

Kidney should still lose his job for clearly selecting the wrong flyhalf combo.

Congrats Scotland. Top notch defence.

EPIC loss by Ireland to allow the Scots to brag all night!! SURELY this is the end for O'Gara and Kidney too perhaps?

How'd we lose that. Well done Scotland.

Please let RO'G go to his retirement home.

Bye bye Kidney. ROG was bad but we would not have won with Jackson either so I maintain that at the time it was the right decision.

10. Madigan
11. McFadden
22. Jackson
23. Fitzgerald

Kidney drop dead seriously.

I don't give a **** how Ireland do in the rest of this 6N. With the players we have we should be far better.
Scotland shouldn't have won.

Snoopy you're being too harsh on Jackson. 2 hard kicks which barely missed, poor goal kicking but the rest of his game was solid.

I'm still laughing, moment of the 6 Nations.

Don't even give a **** about the rest of the championship that was appalling.

Snoopy you're being too harsh on Jackson. 2 hard kicks which barely missed, poor goal kicking but the rest of his game was solid.
I'm not basing it on one game. 57% kicking success at u20 6 Nations level. 67% success last season for Ulster. 72% this season. His kicking is substandard. Myself and Peat have argued about Jackson's all round game for the last year or more. I don't rate him too highly although I rate him ahead of O'Gara.

I'm still laughing, moment of the 6 Nations.

Don't even give a **** about the rest of the championship that was appalling.

I think I might actually support Wales or France or something.

Not England though I'm not that upset. :p

Was it 1/5 kicks? Dropped balls and not taking charge of things stand out.

Other than his goal kicking.

He dropped one ball. That was it. He orchestrated three line breaks at least, Ireland absolutely ripped Scotland to shreds with Jackson in control in the first half, and it's not his fault that Ireland seemingly had zero interest in scoring from the clean breaks and territory he provided. Turned over Scott in the choke tackle. Constantly brought the ball back on his side when isolated. Jackson had a very good first half and an ok second with the exception of his goal kicking, which was always a risk. I believe that if Ireland had brought McFadden onto the wing to goal kick instead of ROG on at fly-half they'd have won that. And yeah, maybe they'd have won that if Madigan had been at 10. And then again, maybe he'd have made three completely unconverted line breaks as well.

I really do not see how Jackson's general play was the problem.

I'm not basing it on one game. 57% kicking success at u20 6 Nations level. 67% success last season for Ulster. 72% this season. His kicking is substandard. Myself and Peat have argued about Jackson's all round game for the last year or more. I don't rate him too highly although I rate him ahead of O'Gara.

I fully agree that it was that aspect of his game, his poor kicking, which was a hug factor towards us losing.
As a fly-half, not a kicker, he was decent - he just needs confidence.

@Peat
Missed line kick from a penalty at 8-0. Dropped pass. No threat to break himself.

I'd praise Marshall for bursting through tackles (the 12 shirt is his now) and O'Driscoll for his decoy line particularly on the second line break.

I'm absolutely right to criticize his consistently poor goal kicking when he's picked for that role.

Murray and Marshall were just as responsible for the choke tackle turnover.

He defended well and deserved to start over O'Gara. O'Gara's performance means Jackson will still definitely be ahead of him. I think Jackson should have been on the bench with Madigan starting and was consistent in saying so.

Heaslip was a penalty machine again. If he wasn't captain, he'd be out of the team IMO.

Have to love how McGurk always brings it back to Heaslip's captaincy.

Jackson was o.k. Good debut but he didn't control the game. He should have kicked more because the Scotland back three were poor today, he didn't notice the vulnerabilities in Scotland's game once they strengthened the 10-12 channel, better than ROG but needs a lot more experienced and he must spend a lot of time place kicking.

Latest posts