• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa tournament strategy

All I can say is that there will be at least 15,000 screaming Samoan fans cheering on the team against Wales & South Africa, 30,000 at the Fiji game.

All Samoan games will feel like home games to the men in blue. I'll have to agree that this is a better Welsh team than the teams that lost against Samoa in 1991 and 1999, but guess what? This is probably the strongest Samoan squad seen at a world cup and the best prepared.

Samoa and Fiji both ran Wales close at home in 2009 and 2010. This is 2011 and the Welsh players wont only feel the pressure on the field but from the PI home crowds. The monkey is on the Welsh backs it'll be hard to get him off and if they do then I hope Wales go all the way because this is by far the hardest pool to get out of.

Go Manu!!

The problem for Samoa and Fiji now is that they won't be taken lightly anymore. It should be interesting to see how they get on.

I think their main weaknesses are tactically and their forwards ability to keep up with the pace of the game.

I think Samoas greatest weakness is their tactical kicking. If I were Wales I would keep pumping the ball inside their 22 and try and camp them there. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the case come their match in two weeks.

I think Samoas greatest weakness is their tactical kicking. If I were Wales I would keep pumping the ball inside their 22 and try and camp them there. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the case come their match in two weeks.

Agree. Wales will keep them under pressure and capitalize on penalties. Discipline will be decisive and the Samoans need to keep a cool head.

Didn't do too badly against Australia.

...just saying.

Pisi is no Darren Kellett but certainly a lot better than Earl Vaa plus Fotualii will relieve pressure too.

Thats because Australia played arrogently and played into Samoas game by non stop running at them instead of kicking and trying to camp them inside their 22. In the tactical kicking department vs Wales or South Africa, I think we could be exposed as Tusi Pisi and Lavea both have a mediocre boot when it comes to range. Fullback Paul Williams does provide a decent option as he has decent range with his kicking aswell as Kahn Fotuali'i's box kicking.

Last edited:
Pisi is better than Kellet. Kellet struggled to make the Auckland NPC side and headed to Counties only to be on the bench.

Only reason why Kellet stood out is because there were no recognised first five eighths to challenge him.

Tuis Pisi, Tasesa Lavea, Fa'atonu Fili.....

Discipline has been in the past but Manu Samoa are all professional players except Ofisa Trvaranus and play in top rugby compeitions around the world. I don't think Wales will want to kick the ball away too much as the Samoans will only run it back. Paul Williams and Sailosi Tagicakibau are very good under the high ball.

Tactically Samoa are better than most people think. Tusi Pisi has been in top form and you got to remember he is an experienced five eighth player that has had lots of exeperience in Super rugby. It wouldn't surprise me if they use Tasesa Lavea at second five in some of the games. He's played a lot at number 12 and did well in the ITM cup this year. He's a smart player and with Pisi at first five that could give Samoa more options.

Profitius - Did you not watch last years NH EOYT? Samoa did more than match up to Ireland, England and Scotland in the forward battle and it showed against the Wallabies the improvements made. Again, these are professional players and they train very hard so no excuses about forwards lasting the whole 80 minutes. I even think the Samoan forwards will be fitter than the Welsh. You'll have a prop playing who hasn't played since January of this year and if Jones plays number 8, he too is lacking match play. Most of the Samoan forwards are playing or have played super rugby which is a lot faster than the compeitions up in the NH.

Wow...can't wait rwc is here today hahaha I am looking forward to Manu Samoa stamping their authority on the world stage. I believe they should start their strongest team in all the games and rotate via the bench even before half time if they have a healthy lead. They must focus on starting each match well....I believe Samoa will reach the quarters and I kind of hope they qualify as runners up and face the wallabies.....Mr Deans won't like that that and I think the Manu will be confident....by then the island nations will band together to get the Manu Samoa and hopefully the ikale tahi all the noise they need in the final stages of the world cup.....GO SAMOA !!!!!

My predictions.

Samoa to lose to Wales.

However.. We will beat Namibia, Fiji AND South Africa. Yep i said it. We will Beat South Africa!

Wales however will win our pool as they will be undefeated thru pool play.

Last edited:
Pisi is better than Kellet. Kellet struggled to make the Auckland NPC side and headed to Counties only to be on the bench.

Only reason why Kellet stood out is because there were no recognised first five eighths to challenge him.

Tuis Pisi, Tasesa Lavea, Fa'atonu Fili.....

Discipline has been in the past but Manu Samoa are all professional players except Ofisa Trvaranus and play in top rugby compeitions around the world. I don't think Wales will want to kick the ball away too much as the Samoans will only run it back. Paul Williams and Sailosi Tagicakibau are very good under the high ball.

Tactically Samoa are better than most people think. Tusi Pisi has been in top form and you got to remember he is an experienced five eighth player that has had lots of exeperience in Super rugby. It wouldn't surprise me if they use Tasesa Lavea at second five in some of the games. He's played a lot at number 12 and did well in the ITM cup this year. He's a smart player and with Pisi at first five that could give Samoa more options.

Profitius - Did you not watch last years NH EOYT? Samoa did more than match up to Ireland, England and Scotland in the forward battle and it showed against the Wallabies the improvements made. Again, these are professional players and they train very hard so no excuses about forwards lasting the whole 80 minutes. I even think the Samoan forwards will be fitter than the Welsh. You'll have a prop playing who hasn't played since January of this year and if Jones plays number 8, he too is lacking match play. Most of the Samoan forwards are playing or have played super rugby which is a lot faster than the compeitions up in the NH.

Don't agree with this, did you watch any of the Welsh warm up games? Their two training camps in Poland seem to have made a big difference to what was already a pretty fit Welsh side, they seemed to outlast England and Argentina in all 3 games. Not saying the Samoans are fit, but I personally don't believe they're fitter than the Welsh are atm. Do get your points about Gethin and Ryan Jones, Jones played well vs England off the bench and Jenkins has been training just isn;t 100%, and is one of those players who's class enough to slot straight back into international rugby.
Either way I guess we'll see when next sunday rolls around! Should be a cracker :D

My predictions.

Samoa to lose to Wales.

However.. We will beat Namibia, Fiji AND South Africa. Yep i said it. We will Beat South Africa!

Wales however will win our pool as they will be undefeated thru pool play.
I like the way you think :D

Don't agree with this, did you watch any of the Welsh warm up games? Their two training camps in Poland seem to have made a big difference to what was already a pretty fit Welsh side, they seemed to outlast England and Argentina in all 3 games. Not saying the Samoans are fit, but I personally don't believe they're fitter than the Welsh are atm. Do get your points about Gethin and Ryan Jones, Jones played well vs England off the bench and Jenkins has been training just isn;t 100%, and is one of those players who's class enough to slot straight back into international rugby.
Either way I guess we'll see when next sunday rolls around! Should be a cracker :D

I like the way you think :D

My apologies to the Welsh supporters on here - I may have jumped the gun there in regards to the Samoan forwards being fitter. I just don't agree with the excuses that the forwards won't last the eighty minutes. I guess that's what the bench is there for. I must say though that Wales will be taking a risk with starting Gethin and Jones against Samoa. no matter how fit a player is you can't expect them to hit the ground running after being out so long. Welsh depth in the front row will be tested and this is where I think Samoa will try and target.

One thing I will agree with you is that this indeed will be a cracker. Bring it on!!

My apologies to the Welsh supporters on here - I may have jumped the gun there in regards to the Samoan forwards being fitter. I just don't agree with the excuses that the forwards won't last the eighty minutes. I guess that's what the bench is there for. I must say though that Wales will be taking a risk with starting Gethin and Jones against Samoa. no matter how fit a player is you can't expect them to hit the ground running after being out so long. Welsh depth in the front row will be tested and this is where I think Samoa will try and target.

One thing I will agree with you is that this indeed will be a cracker. Bring it on!!

Just realised I said 'Not saying the Samoans are fit' instead of 'Not saying the Samoans AREN'T fit' :p so ignore that bit, as you said,, they're all professionals and will have plenty of fitness on them.
Can see them using Gethin off the bench vs Samoa, just to ease him into things, then get him ready for the Fiji game by giving him a full game vs Namibia. We should be fine in the scrum though, Paul James is a very good scrummager, and all is good if Adam Jones stays fit! Proved how useful he is to us by giving the Argentine scrum a mauling in the last warm up, especially after Craig Mitchell had struggled in the 2 games vs England (an arguebly weaker scrum than that of Argentina). That said, apart from Census Johnson and Mahroni Schwalger (who I saw a fair bit of back in his Scarlet days) I know bugger all about the Samoan front row! Who usually starts there for them, who do they play for too?

Manu Samoa are all professional players except Ofisa Trvaranus

Is the samoan rugby union holding ofisa back in samoa for the sevens programme? or does ofisa want to stay in samoa? Because i cant think of any other reasons why he isnt playing professionally in NZ or Europe. This guy would walk into to any ITM cup team a currie cup team and most teams in the north the same can be said for faosiliva. I've watched just about every single Itm cup game and i gotta say ofisa is head an shoulders above most of the loosies that played. The sevens players are getting pretty good coin in the sevens programme so maybe ofisa and co have settled for that, but he should be playing in the big leagues.

Is the samoan rugby union holding ofisa back in samoa for the sevens programme? or does ofisa want to stay in samoa? Because i cant think of any other reasons why he isnt playing professionally in NZ or Europe. This guy would walk into to any ITM cup team a currie cup team and most teams in the north the same can be said for faosiliva. I've watched just about every single Itm cup game and i gotta say ofisa is head an shoulders above most of the loosies that played. The sevens players are getting pretty good coin in the sevens programme so maybe ofisa and co have settled for that, but he should be playing in the big leagues.
My only explanaition is that these two planned to hold off any club commitments/contracts till after the RWC as thats where they want to concentrate and be sure that they stay available for it. I agree these two would walk into starting roles in a lot of profesional clubs and are probably the two hottest free agents yet to commit to a club in Samoa and the Pacific. I can almost guarentee that Ofisa would've had clubs throwing contracts at him after the EOYT as he was Samoas only amature player to start all three games against England Scotland and Ireland and in all three was if not close to their man of the match. They will be hard done by if they dont find themselves profesional clubs within months after the end of the RWC.

Samoan strategy? Hit anything that moves...if it continues to move hit it again...repeat till the trophy is in their hands.

Nah, he has chosen to stay here due to family here. Also, remember he did have a stint with Connacht for 1 season, but he came back to get married.

He said if he can get some RWC tests under his belt, he can get higher offers from clubs, hopefully a French one.. But he said he enjoyed his time with Connacht, and wouldnt mind going back if he gets a bigger contract with em.

Kellet was awesome in SA 95 and carried the team to the QF with exceptional tactical and goal kicking. Pisi is still to do that.

Kellet was awesome in SA 95 and carried the team to the QF with exceptional tactical and goal kicking. Pisi is still to do that.

I'd prefer Pisi over Lavea - more options and always looking to go forward not sideways...

Latest posts