• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA vs Wales (June 2022 series)

Let me ask non-south africans and non-welsh posters a question: if the ref had pinged a penalty for that last scrum, what would you say?

- No way
- 50/50, could be
- Def a penalty. Can't believe he didn't call it.

?
The way the game is i am surprised he never called it. However with the ball playable it was a good call. I agree with other posters that scrums should just restart play not to get a penalty. As a certain podcast says "Let the boys play".

Meh - I still expected more seeing as most have had exposure to test rugby. Perhaps you're right and it's a question of developing fortitude for the back three.

Kriel and Esterhuizen though . . .
Esterhuizen was the most disappointing. Pollard was really looking for him early to get go forward and he didn't do much.

The way the game is i am surprised he never called it. However with the ball playable it was a good call. I agree with other posters that scrums should just restart play not to get a penalty. As a certain podcast says "Let the boys play".

20220709_201030.jpg

Pollard is good when he has a top class 9 beside him to take the reigns - when he's solely in charge of the attack it's pass down the line or kick, no imagination whatsoever

Very boring game. SA should have sealed the win but no dice. I don't know where the Boks are headed now. The trajectory of the team is definitely downwards. First team was terrible last week, all stars side failed to fire today. I think the the only thing achieved in this series is to cap a few new players.

Very boring game. SA should have sealed the win but no dice. I don't know where the Boks are headed now. The trajectory of the team is definitely downwards. First team was terrible last week, all stars side failed to fire today. I think the the only thing achieved in this series is to cap a few new players.
It's the start of the international season. If we play like this versus the ABs, I would agree. But a lot of players have only been in camp for 2 weeks.

Pivac must go! :p
What a difference a week makes for Wales. The U20s looking tidy and now this.

I can see Rassie taking over the Boks (again), be it officially or unofficially. An assistant coach at the helm doesn't cut it at this level.

Pivac must go! :p
What a difference a week makes for Wales. The U20s looking tidy and now this.

I can see Rassie taking over the Boks (again), be it officially or unofficially. An assistant coach at the helm doesn't cut it at this level.
Rassie and Jac work together. It's a cooperative effort and has been for 20 years.

I don't really care how we won that tbh. If we were going to win it was going to be like that and given our history over there I'm very happy. We kinda tried to play a bit first half but SA shut us down pretty well but, yeah, it was a dog **** game to be fair. Back row were great and really pleased for Anscombe. What a pass for the try and class conversion under pressure. With his injury and his kid being born in the last few days that must've been a special moment for him.

Few random thoughts on Wales.

- Biggar is attrocious, has been for ages. He had a couple of decent games at the end of the '21 6N, but otherwise he's been ******* **** for years. Anscombe did more in 17mins than Biggar has all series, kicking better too! I giarantee Biggar attempts a cross kick at the end there, it may still have worked, but Anscombe's pass was a guaranteed try.

- Lineout issues re-surfaced today. Both Elias and Lake struggled under pressure, which is a shame as Lake has been really building. Backrow offers no lineout option though, so everything is going to Beard.

- Backrow balance is off imo. Lydiate, Reffell and Faletau were all good today, but Lyds and Reffell are both defensive players, so we're lacking that dynamic link player. Harsh on either to be left out after battling hard today, but I'd bring Basham in next week at 7 alongside either at 6.

- Beard doesn't offer enough outside the maul/lineout. Give someone else an opportunity.

- We need to get North and our back 3 into the game, because atm they're complete passengers. We kick too often, and although our kicking has been ok, putting pressure on the opposition catchers, it just means we never really get into the game from an attacking pov.

Rassie and Jac work together. It's a cooperative effort and has been for 20 years.
Yes. But if the relationship has changed in terms job ***les and press conferences I think it is reasonable to conclude the relationship may very well have changed in other day to day elements. For example, if Rassie is trying to free up more time for DoR duties or give Jac a crack at personal development. That said, this could easily be Rassie's handiwork and a result of prioritising being in peak shape for the RWC rather than on short term success in a series.

Yes. But if the relationship has changed in terms job ***les and press conferences I think it is reasonable to conclude the relationship may very well have changed in other day to day elements. For example, if Rassie is trying to free up more time for DoR duties or give Jac a crack at personal development. That said, this could easily be Rassie's handiwork and a result of prioritising being in peak shape for the RWC rather than on short term success in a series.
Well it's very clear this is a focus on the RWC. You don't cap 6 players in a single game and put a bunch of other youngsters in there without trying to make a back-to-back run.

Ok, my completely welsh bias thoughts. It was a **** game for anyone not welsh. I love the fact we won, especially after the AWJ shocking YC. I hope that gets a bit of a monkey off our backs.
In fact big ups to all the home nations this weekend. All to play for next week. Love sport.

Wales v SA games always seem to be a tight arm wrestle. If you ain't Welsh or a Saffa, don't watch it. You will
Always **** on this fixture. From my POV, history books mainly focus on the final score. Who cares if it was dross.

Seriously, good luck to all of us next week. I am mega suprised the way we (Wales) are keeping it tight. Was expecting drubbings after the way we fell to Italy in the 6N.

I fucken loves these weekends. CAnt wait for next week 👍🏼

Ps, tell me I'm not smashed without me telling you I'm smashed 😂

Well it's very clear this is a focus on the RWC. You don't cap 6 players in a single game and put a bunch of other youngsters in there without trying to make a back-to-back run.
Yes, but is it Rassie or Jac in charge? I suspect the latter.

I feel like South Africa has learned which pieces they can fit into the 23 and which pieces should be hidden in URC forever.
Please do tell which pieces you think should be hidden in the URC

Deserved to lose. In saying that Wales didn't deserve to win either. Maybe wouldn't have had Gardner grown balls and awarded a pen at the crumbled Welsh scrum at the death. Should have been a draw just forgotten by everyone. Still in shock at the poor rugby just put on display.
We gained from the Loss, I hate it when coaches say this but we needed to field this team and sometimes they were just overeager.

They can grow from this exposure. The SA A games on the year-end tour will be great to add to this. Our future looks bright.

The rugby was not that bad? Our defence looked very good even for a completely changed side with no consistency. Unfortunately Wales also seems to be very good a tackling.

I think Mallet mentioned that Wales could only make 34 meters in the entire first half. Thats defensive dominance and I cant wait to test it vs The All Blacks.

SA fans should not be negative and its short sighted to criticise them for this. Our attack just could not click under a great Welsh team. I appreciate that this kind of rugby happens every often. Execution can be tidied up and we would not be discussing this.

Despite the ignominy and shame of being the first team to lose to Wales at Home

Despite the shame of not being no1 in the world rankings anymore at least for this coming week, we are ok.

Everything is ok.

Why do you think it was a terrible performance, who did what so badly? Or are you just referring to the gluttony of unforced errors the individuals in the team made?

Latest posts