• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWCQ] United States vs. Uruguay. 2nd Leg, 29/03/14

I would have never expected Uruguay to still have a shot at being the America's #2 seed with 15 minutes to go in the two leg's. I know it's kind of late in the cycle to make a change but does Tolkin survive this?

That should close it out, unlike last week the Uruguayan bench isn't stemming the tide nor is the home crowd providing that "boost" Uruguay got at the end last week. Something ghastly like an intercept or charge down is about all that can bring the Eagles down now.

I would have never expected Uruguay to still have a shot at being the America's #2 seed with 15 minutes to go in the two leg's. I know it's kind of late in the cycle to make a change but does Tolkin survive this?

He will but he shouldn't. I agree that it's late in the cycle to make a change but I'd elevate Fitzpatrick to HC til after the RWC.

He needs to go, The US is going to get carved if they play like this against anyone at RWC.

South Africa, Scotland, Samoa and Japan will eat them for dinner... They are now winning this game but are not impressive in the least!

Anyone care to take a stab at the scoreline of USA vs NZ later this year?!

As members here predicted, Uruguay out of steam and adrenaline, momentum all USA right now. The past 10 minutes is the type of stuff fans have been expecting all year!

I don't get that, it looked like a double movement to me?

Yeah I agree, think Uruguay had a strong case there, not that I think it matters much, Teros look out on there feet in the last ten minutes.

Uruguay have still impressed in certain areas, going to be very possible for them to get through the repechage stages and qualify. Lemoine has done wonders with this side.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, think Uruguay had a strong case there, not that I think it matters much, Teros look out on there feet in the last ten minutes.

Uruguay have still impressed in certain areas, going to be very possible for them to get through the repechage stages and qualify. Lemoine has done wonders with this side.

The Russians should be a little scared, I like Uruguay's pack...

On another note, something I have noticed which separates most Tier 3 teams from Tier 2 teams is legitimate strike options in the backfield.

Canada, Japan, Tonga, Fiji, USA and Samoa all have a couple of guys in the back field that are dangerous from anywhere. Even Georgia and Romania have a few guys who can do it when they choose to.

Last edited:
Game's final now, 32-13 USA over Uruguay. Better second half, better energy and cut down a lot of the silly errors but seemed more Uruguay lost themselves in the last 20, couldn't hang in there. USA did well to finally play long phases and not give away possession so easily and aimlessly.

Right so the repechage is shaping up to be something along the lines of this:

Russia vs 2nd African Qualifier, likely to be either Namibia or Madagascar
Then Uruguay vs 2nd Asian Qualifier, going on rankings that could be South Korea?

For Africa, I'd say it's between Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe for the 2 spots (1 qualify, 1 to repechage). I see Madagascar on outside looking in but I really hope they can make it to the next level, even to repechage!

Asia it's between South Korea and Hong Kong for repechage. Hong Kong is hosting their match this year but South Korea will come in off the bye (2 weeks to prepare) whereas HK will be coming off Sri Lanka on the road and possible 7s issues (although HKRFU has said that A5N will be the priority over 7s if there is conflict).

Last edited:
The changes that need to be made:

Petri out. His try does not make up for how **** poor he was the rest of the match. Shaw has looked much better and should be in the squad.

L'Estrange out. Literally every single player who has come in for him in the past 12 months has looked better, including Niua, S Suniula and Siddall. I'd go with Siddall for kicking but Shalom showed potential too.

Clever out as captain. We need someone who can manage the ref better than him. We get on the wrong side of the ref in every match. Make LaValla captain.

Scrum is also a huge problem but I don't see any quick fixes there. Gotta develop better scrummagers and that's on USA Rugby to make that happen.

fk...forgot about this. If anybody has highlights, please post them here when you can. :)

The changes that need to be made:

Petri out. His try does not make up for how **** poor he was the rest of the match. Shaw has looked much better and should be in the squad.

L'Estrange out. Literally every single player who has come in for him in the past 12 months has looked better, including Niua, S Suniula and Siddall. I'd go with Siddall for kicking but Shalom showed potential too.

Clever out as captain. We need someone who can manage the ref better than him. We get on the wrong side of the ref in every match. Make LaValla captain.

Scrum is also a huge problem but I don't see any quick fixes there. Gotta develop better scrummagers and that's on USA Rugby to make that happen.

Wow, I think I actually agree with everything there!

Latest posts