• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF2] Ireland vs New Zealand (14/10/2023)

Wayne Barnes is the best by some distance. Next I'd say Ben O'Keefe and then there's a pretty big drop off after that. Maybe Pearce scrapes third place. Pity there's no way to clone Barnes because we could do with a few of him.

Last edited:
Feel free to talk about what-ifs, but it's a waste of energy brother!
Mate, this is a forum where people have opinions and are free to express them within reason, if you don't want to discuss what ifs which is always going to be an inevitable conversation point probably not worth participating when it turns that way not trying to dismiss it as a waste of energy.

It's ok, Ireland. Daddy England will be there to teach you and Wales how to win QFs. Pay attention later; you can learn from your father.

If fiji from the start of the tournament turn up, I can see England struggling

Wayne Barnes is the best by some distance. Next I'd say Ben O'Keefe and then there's a pretty big drop off after that. Maybe Pearce scrapes third place. Pity there's no way to clone Barnes because we could do with a few of him.
agreed
all these comments about wayne barnes' referee are just no-comments: in a game with high stakes and human error involved, one or two mistakes are to be expeted and wayne burnes is just fantastic at his job
also his banter with goode is top notch
although he doesn't crack the top 10

I feel given Farrell will prob work with Nienaber in some capacity similar to I guess his involvement with others.
I think Leinster forwards need a bit more bite in them.
IF he can bring that to the attack Conteponi and Goodman have developed it could be the missing ingredient

I also don't see why Nienaber would need to go to south african rugby style. He did it with Munster because reality is it's what Munster needed at the time. You didn't have the backs to play an attacking style IMO.

South African have shown they have that attacking flair and look at the backline they picked v France tonight if he was that driven by kicking rugby Pollard would be starting not Libbok
All fair comments. That is why it is an a question of watch and see.

Don't disagree that the bit of metal is needed

Got a feeling this may not age so well, hope I'm wrong.
My only concern is the French referee pinging Fiji off the pitch - or worse, a red card or 2. Otherwise, I'm picking Fiji to run the poms off their feet to clear out 35-21

Barnes' decision on Aki's accidental head-knock was the best example of why he's the best. The TMO was trying his best but Barnes effectively over-ruled him.

My only concern is the French referee pinging Fiji off the pitch - or worse, a red card or 2. Otherwise, I'm picking Fiji to run the poms off their feet to clear out 35-21
Against most teams that maybe a fair point but come on England have hardly be allowed to get away with murder of avoid red cards like some

Mate, this is a forum where people have opinions and are free to express them within reason, if you don't want to discuss what ifs which is always going to be an inevitable conversation point probably not worth participating when it turns that way not trying to dismiss it as a waste of energy.
Happy Jonah Hill GIF HAHAHA, ok you can keep playing your fantasy pretend game where the result could have been different had Sexton nailed the penalty and the All Blacks didn't score any more points
:rolleyes::Do_O

If he'd landed the penalty, there's absolutely no way to say the ABs would not have marched down and scored 1 or 3 tries after the penalty: this is why the what-if crowd are so ridiculous in thinking that the scoreline would have remained static had Sexton nailed the penalty!!
Can I have your predictions for the next lottery numbers? "Absolutely no way..." :D

The only time what-ifs have any value is during game-planning, preparing and practising before a test match against specific opponents - not in post-mortems where the common fallacy is the wistful belief that the scoreline remains static after a certain event during the match.
Wasted energy.
Error, you went straight down the what-if route with your statement that the ABs would have scored "1 or 3" tries had Ireland scored. Make your mind up. :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Three things are certain in life:

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Ireland exiting at the QF

To think Irish fans thought they were actually going to win. It's at the point where it would be an upset if Ireland ever progressed
Can I propose an instant site ban for goading teams who lose in world cup knockout stages?

Since the South African teams decided to abandon super rugby, we can feel a weakening in the level of rugby in the southern hemisphere

Can you?

England were very, very nearly rolled by a country who can muster about 9,000 senior players.

England were very, very nearly rolled by Samoa, a country who can muster about 23,000 players of all ages.

Funny - I see it completely differently - Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Argentina, SA, all playing very well compared to much bigger and richer NH rugby unions. Australia has lost its way, but they've always been a bit 'headless chook' when it comes to running the sport.

I really don't see the All Black outclassing them, I sense a surprise for the Argentina - NZ semi-final.

The only surprise will be how much the ABs put on them - could be a QF score record.

If I was you, I'd be worried whether France make it through. 20 minutes in and you're two tries to one against.

Latest posts