• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF2] Ireland vs New Zealand (14/10/2023)

Not sure bud. Some big names will not be making the next World Cup. Don't doubt the quality of rugby players coming in but think it may be 2031.

BUT we may just get an okay draw / run next time

Er look at France in the last 4 years
Leinster and Munster have proven pathways with one head coach who knows what it takes to win a RWC and the other a strong working connection with Andy Farrell

I think crazy thing is I fear more for Leinster than us. Wig is a superb coach but built his coaching team on what he wanted to do but also with guys who know they system that is Irish rugby.
Leinster have been a superb team and Sexton takes a bit of that away now woth his departure. But more the flair and class Leinster had I fear Nienaber could take away and go for the bulk and drive approach.
And that is basing off their time here. Leinster will easily bulk up and maybe that approach will work in club scene to a certain level but it won't at international level. That is why Munster struggled to get lads in National team few years ago and Leinster 3rd string guys were being in mix. They didn't abandon skillset.
10 will be fine for us as there is a few gems but Leinster can't change style to South African model or else that will harm National team as it would be 2 contrasting styles
Agree - the fans really enjoy the way we currently play. I don't think we will go the SA way but I would want us to keep to being skills focused as we're developing talented and skilled youngsters

Er look at France in the last 4 years
Leinster and Munster have proven pathways with one head coach who knows what it takes to win a RWC and the other a strong working connection with Andy Farrell
Everything was designed with a home World Cup in mind. Does this France team win a World Cup abroad - no I don't think so.

I've loved being here last few weeks but I do wonder how it would have been had Ireland had a home World Cup.

I think crazy thing is I fear more for Leinster than us. Wig is a superb coach but built his coaching team on what he wanted to do but also with guys who know they system that is Irish rugby.
Leinster have been a superb team and Sexton takes a bit of that away now woth his departure. But more the flair and class Leinster had I fear Nienaber could take away and go for the bulk and drive approach.
And that is basing off their time here. Leinster will easily bulk up and maybe that approach will work in club scene to a certain level but it won't at international level. That is why Munster struggled to get lads in National team few years ago and Leinster 3rd string guys were being in mix. They didn't abandon skillset.
10 will be fine for us as there is a few gems but Leinster can't change style to South African model or else that will harm National team as it would be 2 contrasting styles

I feel given Farrell will prob work with Nienaber in some capacity similar to I guess his involvement with others.
I think Leinster forwards need a bit more bite in them.
IF he can bring that to the attack Conteponi and Goodman have developed it could be the missing ingredient

I also don't see why Nienaber would need to go to south african rugby style. He did it with Munster because reality is it's what Munster needed at the time. You didn't have the backs to play an attacking style IMO.

South African have shown they have that attacking flair and look at the backline they picked v France tonight if he was that driven by kicking rugby Pollard would be starting not Libbok

Everything was designed with a home World Cup in mind. Does this France team win a World Cup abroad - no I don't think so.

I've loved being here last few weeks but I do wonder how it would have been had Ireland had a home World Cup.

A fit France team does win abroad IMO. Maybe not in NZ with the NZ team ATM.
But they are finalists

Since the South African teams decided to abandon super rugby, we can feel a weakening in the level of rugby in the southern hemisphere, on the other hand Argentina following its participations with the Jaguars have learned a lot in super rugby during the seasons (2016 to 2019) to improve their game.
They are better structured and more disciplined. I think the defeat against England was an accident.
I really don't see the All Black outclassing them, I sense a surprise for the Argentina - NZ semi-final.

Just woke now. And well the hirt still there but incredibly proud. Will start by saying np real complaints. New Zealand were the better team on the night and that aggressive line speed and big tempo hits really set the tone. Our lineout struggled at times and we made 1 or 2 errors but I can't fault any player as they all gave it a massive effort.
This exit was different to before. Last time we had players who struggled for just the mood had died. This exit the lads kept trying and the effort was clear. We will dust down and go again but fair play to Andy Farrell and all the coaches.
Lastly Sexton getting massive credit and praise for a great career but also Earls deserves a huge shout out. No surprise he mentions nothing and lets Farrell slip it out but as a man I have been lucky to call a friend, colleague and a true inspiration it was great that his last act for Munster was a ***le and he got to 100 caps.
Sexton I have slated at times through years as he is that good and a warrior that went to the end.
2 true legends of Irish rugby.
Reading your post reminded me of some of the conversation after Irelands form dipped under Schmidt at the wrong time 4. 5 years ago and some people were saying that playing the Schmidt gameplan for so long had taken it's roll on the squad and those standards couldn't be maintained indefinitely. That's a memory I have at least. In hindsight, was that a misdiagnosis? Just curious. It feels like Farrells Ireland have proven that idea wrong by how they've played for so long now, even in defeat.

In any case, regarding last night, sometimes the most trite and least satisfying analysis can be true and we like to think that if we just do everything we can, we can control every result. Sometimes you can't. BOD sort of said this, NZ just didn't let Ireland dictate the game. Of course, Ireland still could have won and almost did - but there isn't enough daylight between Ireland and the next best teams that you can totally filter out these sorts of nights which come for all the best teams, it's just a matter of when.

let's say the best two teams played a test series. Then I think they'd have a better chance to settle their nerves. And the sample size would be greater
I understand. I just believe being able to manage those nerves is, precisely, what makes RWC formats interesting. It's a fantastic acid test to see who steps up and who doesn't.
From a storytelling point of view, it adds a LOT of drama to the equation as it gives (allegedly) weaker teams a shot. That creates the cinderella stories a lot of people enjoy. Japan would have never beaten South Africa in a ten-game series back in 2015.

But you are right. It's a question of taste. As you said, to each their own.

I think you have all the emotional maturity of a mean girl holding court in the school toilets

I look forward to your teams humiliation in the semis
Why humiliation? They're the best team in the world, the best team in any sport ever probably (the abs in terms of history). It's an honor to play them and even loosing, they set an example for us all. Sam Cane did what was expected of him and won in the pitch after being insulted.
I didn't mean to say peter o Mahony represented Ireland in a meaningful way, just wanted to showcase Canes' excellence and moral character

If Nienaber can crack it with Leinster in Europe and Munster keep progressing well in knock outs under Rowntree I fancy Ireland for 2027. I think Rowntree has found what works for Munster and they will keep growing under him.

I feel if Leinster could've just nipped one of those European finals then this game would've gone the other way and honestly reckon they would be champions.
But Lancaster just isn't someone to develop a hard belly in those big game final moments IMO.

I think Nienaber has more edge about him, now if Leinster can fill in the shoes of Sexton that will be the big question.
If Prendergast matches his hype then I don't think Ireland will have much to worry.

Andy Farrell is a good enough coach to win the RWC, just needs his players to win some more trophies at club level now.
I'm very jealous of the Irish setup compared to ours right now
If you go through current Ire XV at least half of that team are unlikely to be at the WC. Or will be at age where they will not be able to consistently hold down a starting place. Some are absolute world class that will be very difficult to just replace
As good as Ire u 20s have been , it's still a massive undertaking to replace an Aki, Beirne or Furlong

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Three things are certain in life:

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Ireland exiting at the QF

To think Irish fans thought they were actually going to win. It's at the point where it would be an upset if Ireland ever progressed

Never seen an "Anyone but Ireland/Leinster" before tbh
Bit weird considering you were a massive Bulls simp until La Rochelle started winning ;)

Never seen an "Anyone but Ireland/Leinster" before tbh
Bit weird considering you were a massive Bulls simp until La Rochelle started winning ;)

Maybe I'm half French and half South African.

But you have to admit that it's very strange, this referee is always on the right track when it comes to Ireland or Leinster. :)

Latest posts