• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] France v Namibia Date: Thursday, 21 September Kick-off: 20:00 BST

So, what did we learn from that game?? 🤔 Answers on a postcard please
Maybe take your best player off at half time when you are 54 points up. Everyone will criticise the Namibia player for the tackle, which was a shocker, but Galthie will probably get off scot-free for an appalling bit of management. I thought that game was an unedifying spectacle from start to finish. How come if this World Cup is supposedly the most "equal and fair ever" in terms of the schedule, Namibia will have played all 4 group matches before NZ have even played their 3rd?. It's a shambles, World Rugby should hang their heads in shame. That Namibian team was cannon fodder and I feel sorry for them. I don't blame Coetzee either, with Uruguay coming up in less than a week, I would have picked the same team in this game.

Wow. There are no words. Clearly the Nambian players either don't know how to tackle or they are afraid to tackle.
Been a card for a high tackle every other match but, no, its just Namibia.

It's the main reason why I am still in favour of a Plate and Shield competitions after the pool stage for the 3rd -5th placed teams.

Well that's a disaster. Article and discussion on Reddit is fracture but no operation for Dupont, with earliest return being in the semis. And some arguing even that won't be possible.

This feels like the World Cup of pivotal players getting injured.

Well that's a disaster. Article and discussion on Reddit is fracture but no operation for Dupont, with earliest return being in the semis. And some arguing even that won't be possible.

This feels like the World Cup of pivotal players getting injured.
Yeah it's starting to happen. My money is on Sexton next on Saturday...

If it's what I think it is (simple fracture of the zygomatic arch), then medical advice would be 3 weeks, and to wear a face-shield.
QF is 3 weeks and a few days; so medically (and insurance wise) he'd be okay to return for the QF.
Assuming they go all the way, France's big matches are the QF and the Final, with a relatively easy SF. If I'm right, then I expect him back for the QF, wearing a face mask; then probably have the SF off, and start again in the final.

Of course, he doesn't have to take medical advice (insurance may be a different issue), and equally, it may not be a simple fracture, and it may not be the zygomatic arch.

Very surprised Galthie didn't go for the Farrell approach of emptying the bench at HT. The danger in that game, especially for a smaller player, was the opposition getting tired and reckless and that's exactly what happened.

Understand the need to go strong, 4 weeks off is too long given the stretch of 4 games they want to play next but the front row and half backs did not need to come out second half.

If it's what I think it is (simple fracture of the zygomatic arch), then medical advice would be 3 weeks, and to wear a face-shield.
QF is 3 weeks and a few days; so medically (and insurance wise) he'd be okay to return for the QF.
Assuming they go all the way, France's big matches are the QF and the Final, with a relatively easy SF. If I'm right, then I expect him back for the QF, wearing a face mask; then probably have the SF off, and start again in the final.

Of course, he doesn't have to take medical advice (insurance may be a different issue), and equally, it may not be a simple fracture, and it may not be the zygomatic arch.

Confirmed maxillo-zygomatic fracture (clueless what that means - over to you @Quel Carreleur).

Will remain with the squad but unclear how long he'll be out for.

You can't lets your players without working on the pitch too long. Galthier compo's was logical. Plus Dupont was expected to play only 50 minutes, with 15 days of rest befor playing against italy.
It was impossible let him on the bench one month.

More investigations are made today for knowing if an operation will be necessary

Very surprised Galthie didn't go for the Farrell approach of emptying the bench at HT. The danger in that game, especially for a smaller player, was the opposition getting tired and reckless and that's exactly what happened.

Understand the need to go strong, 4 weeks off is too long given the stretch of 4 games they want to play next but the front row and half backs did not need to come out second half.
Like we say in French, with "if" you can put Paris in a bottle :D I think the month without playing between the blacks and Italy has pushed the staff to put the A team on the pitch as you mentioned, they needed to play, they needed rythm and an almost full match in terms of time, to be put in situations that will come soon. I do not think there is anything against the coaching team on this one , Galthie said that they were planning to take out Dupont at the 50th minute (and most of the team) so really, it is unlucky

Some said that if it is only a simple fracture, Dupont could replay after 10 days so fingers crossed. I think also that we will need to live without Dupont if it is the case and Couilloud/Lucu, even if they are not at the level of Dupont, are living with this group since 3-4 years, we have 2 weeks beofre Italy and 3 weeks before any QF so it lets us sometimes to get ready with a different scrum half. If we were going to the Quarter against Ireland or South Africa, this is where Dupont absence (if there was) would be the most impactful as it could be a match decided on small margins, the experience and the game vista of Dupont will be definitely missed. However, rugby is a 15 men game and if we are not able to win without only 1 player, thats all on us to not have prepared for the possibility of losing this player

This is a blow to the french team, no doubt about that, but Dupont was scrutinize massively and honestly, since now a year at least, he was not able to have that much flashes of brillance he used to have due to opponent giving him a specific attention. Having a Couilloud onboard could bring a X factor to the french team that would not be that defavorable in my perspective

Latest posts