• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] France v Namibia Date: Thursday, 21 September Kick-off: 20:00 BST

On a side note, I see people are talking about risking him but he didn't play against Uruguay. So whilst I understand the sentiment behind not risking him you also have to give him game time. Especially with a 2 week break before the QF after playing Italy.

Dupont had a surgery this afternoon in Toulouse, they hope he will be able to play the semi-final if there is. The french staff will take a decision on Monday (if they drop Dupont or not) after having feedback from the surgery

Dupont had a surgery this afternoon in Toulouse, they hope he will be able to play the semi-final if there is. The french staff will take a decision on Monday (if they drop Dupont or not) after having feedback from the surgery
Can't they just leave the decision as long as possible. Its not like his replacement is going into the 23 unless something else occurs.

Also when posting this stuff can we have some sort of source?

On a side note, I see people are talking about risking him but he didn't play against Uruguay. So whilst I understand the sentiment behind not risking him you also have to give him game time. Especially with a 2 week break before the QF after playing Italy.
I'd imagine France would have wished for a different schedule. Play a full team vs Uruguay rather than Namibia but those are the breaks. Can't go 3 weeks without playing your first team.

Agreed that there is no chance in hell DuPont gets dropped.

I'd imagine France would have wished for a different schedule. Play a full team vs Uruguay rather than Namibia but those are the breaks. Can't go 3 weeks without playing your first team.

Agreed that there is no chance in hell DuPont gets dropped.
I think the home union gets to choose their schedule. I reckon the plan was to play two weakened teams and then saw no one was doing this and switched tactic.

Why? It's not a brain injury, so he is competent to make his own decisions about his health.
Medical advice gives advice, it's the patient's job to decide what to do with that advice
This isn't a simple situation like a GP telling their patient to stop smoking or lose weight - there's a more parties involved. FFR (his employer) have a duty of care over their employees. Selecting him to play in the knowledge that he's been advised not to sounds like a failure to exercise this duty to me. Also, as has been noted above, there's every chance that FFR's insurers would require best medical advice to be followed when managing injuries.

Out of interest, what are the potential consequences of him playing before he's deemed to have healed sufficiently?

Nah, it's the patient's decision if he makes himself available or not.
FFR's decision is whether or not to play him if he declares himself available, but they have no responsibility to protect him from himself.
Insurance is a different issue.

Potential consequence is that he might not be as pretty.

This is all assuming that reports of it being a simple, well apposed fracture of the zygomatic arch are correct.
Players play on with these injuries. Players return to rugby within a few days of such injuries.
This is not an eye socket, a jaw, or a cranium.

Gutted for DuPont and for Rugby, he is a generational talent !
When you have a player like this it is very hard not to base your entire game plan on that player.
Everything goes through the 9 in this French side, that would of been cushioned by your 1st choice 10 also been fit.

If France are to progress their forwards are going to have to step it up a level to what we have seen from them before. I've always maintained that South Africa and to a lesser extent the Irish have a better set of forwards

Gutted for DuPont and for Rugby, he is a generational talent !
When you have a player like this it is very hard not to base your entire game plan on that player.
Everything goes through the 9 in this French side, that would have been cushioned by your 1st choice 10 also been fit.
Remember 2011 and DC getting injured at his home RWC, who was also a generational talent? He was out by the pool stage. It's about who can step up in a RWC. It's very unfortunate but not a tragedy. Dupont's only 26 and a couple of more RWCs if he doesn't make it back in this one.

For DC - what a story of redemption for him 4 years later.

Remember 2011 and DC getting injured at his home RWC, who was also a generational talent? He was out by the pool stage. It's about who can step up in a RWC. It's very unfortunate but not a tragedy. Dupont's only 26 and a couple of more RWCs if he doesn't make it back in this one.

For DC - what a story of redemption for him 4 years later.
That NZ team is one of the best and most individually talented teams ever to play rugby even excluding DC. The back row alone of Prime Kaino, Read and MCaw is arguably is the best the world has ever seen
Then you have at the time the world's best tight five and one of the all time great centre pairings
It's not a fair comparison taking Dupont and DC out of it.

That NZ team is one of the best and most individually talented teams ever to play rugby even excluding DC. The back row alone of Prime Kaino, Read and MCaw is arguably is the best the world has ever seen
Then you have at the time the world's best tight five and one of the all time great centre pairings
kind of agree. The main thing is that in 2011, NZ was flying largely above anybody, northern hemisphere was not there at the time. France today is not at all in the same position, we are in a bag of 5-6 teams who could win it and the loss of dupont is kind of hurting a little more somehow. Though at the end of the day, as I said before, it is all on the french if they are not able to get over the loss of 1 player

Guys, the article has disappeared so I'm not too sure anymore..Possibly there has not been any surgery, info is not 100% right now, apologies about that
Happens. It'll come out sooner or later.

But did you see the final? Very lucky. These are the sort of margins that make the difference at this level.

But did you see the final? Very lucky. These are the sort of margins that make the di
Your confusing two totally different teams. NZ did nearly bottle the final and France raised their game.
I think my original point is that outside of DC that NZ team still had players that were not just the best of their time but you could make an argument are amongst very best we have ever seen
You can't say that for anyone in this French side barring Du Pont

Latest posts