• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

dKoQYer.jpg
In other news Faf have retired and decided to finally reach for his dreams of becoming a underwear model XD

I notice Faf and another player are wearing the same budgie smugglers, are they standard issue team uniform?
My guess is the brand is just run by big rugby fans so send them out to all the players for free - you see them all over social media without being explicit enough about the brand to be advertising/sponsors (i.e. not singing their praises/tagging the brand etc)

I got this one wrong @spartan32 , they couldn't deal with it in both the 1st and 2nd half

My prediction is Boks by 4 points.

I don't see England being able to live with the Bok set piece, especially in the second half.
You don't see England dealing with the Bok set piece?! Seriously?! Is that what you are pinning your hopes on? The good luck to you my friend.

I know our other English posters aren't represented by our friend here but I had to get that wee gloat is out the way.

Firstly my sympathies to the English, like I said on the first page of this thread, I rate your rugby team highly and it must have been gutting to see your boys not pitch up to the match.

On to the Boks. Wow, what a team. They showed today how to put history on it's head. No longer will all these weird omens hang above the heads of any future teams. The Boks showed none of that matters on the day.

Leading up to the match we were braai'ing boerewors and broodtjies whilst listening to everything from Mandoza, Johnny Clegg, to Mango Groove. I hadn't felt that home sick in awhile. And then boys to get the job done later on. ******* magical. I'm feeling very sentimental about this win.

When won in 95 I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was 6 years old on the carpet at my grandparents house playing cars with my brother, and the reason why I remember it so vividly is because I saw how happy it made my father and how much it meant to him.
Unfortunately my dad past away 3 years after that but he passed his love for rugby to me before that.
24 Years on, here I am celebrating in the same way with my 6 year old daughter watching on while she plays at her grandparents house (my in-laws here in Aussie). I have no doubt she'll remember this day too. It's poetic in a way.

I wish I could savour this victory with the rest of my family and countrymen but I'm a bloody proud South African today.

Are mapimpi and Herschel the first pro 14 players to win a World Cup?
Chris Whittaker, Brad Thorn, CJ Van der Linde and someone else I'm forgetting all played for Leinster (although all after they'd got their winning medals).

Munster have a few as well I think, don't know about the rest of the league but I'd be surprised if there are more than one or two given the spending power outside Ireland.

Edit: missed a super obvious one, Ruan Pienaar played for Ulster (along with about half the 2007 Springbok world cup squad from what I can tell of wikipedia) for the best part of a decade and is now playing for the Cheetahs.

Last edited:
First to be pro 14 players and then win it yeah. As @Leinster Fan points out a bunch went the other way. Jean de Villiers, Owen Finnegan, Mils Muliaina can be added to the list.
Owen Finnegan ffs.

Completely forgot that Jean de Villiers played for Munster, it was only about a season right?

I really wish our media hadn't been so arrogant in thinking that this final was a foregone conclusion, fair play to Gatland who called it absolutely right when he said England had their world cup final last week.

So to the game well lets start with losing Sinckler after only two minutes, heartbreaking we will never get to find out what would have happened had he stayed on the pitch, then that unbelievable situation where we went through a ridiculous amount of phases but still failed to score a try. Man that felt like such a turning point along with when Farrell missed that penalty at 18-12 which would have got us within three points of them. Finally I just wonder if there were a couple of occasions where England could have kicked to the corner with their penalty opportunities just to put some pressure on their line because only once did we really threaten them in the whole game.

I am not going to focus on whether or not that was a forward pass for their first try, we simply just did not do enough when we had the chance and made uncharacteristic errors that we just hadn't made the rest of this tournament. Painful wait until the six nations gets underway in early February 2020, gonna be a long old winter for those England boys but just maybe this setback could be the making of some of the younger ones.

Congrats to South Africa but my god this is going to hurt for a while, especially when my football team got beat today too and now the T20 cricket team is also suffering a little bit right now.

I know Sinckler going off was a blow, but from the past week am I now to believe that Wales have a superior scrum to England? The world has gone mad :p

Well they put up a much better fight than we did against them and were only five minutes away from forcing extra time in the semi final, certainly makes you wonder what would have happened had it got that far but now we will never know.

just wandering where you are going to shove your English arrogance.
No mater how much money you put into it. how many mercenaríes you hire, how much pressure you put to WR. The outcome is the same: failure.
good by pirates, so long.
long live SA. I salute you and your great diverse country. hope this win puts away the cuota argument.
ps.
don't bother to answer, like or dislike this is my last post.I'm n leaving the forum. I'll be giving a great toast to all SA people.
so long.

England throw the World Cup away. What they should have done after the win for ABs is to put heads down and stay focus. But the whole team think they are invincible including Eddie Jones and started celebrating mentality. The same goes for ABs preparation for semis but the Management team should take the biggest portion of the blame for not developing a team in advance. Some players are good but they are not ready for such a big tournament.

South Africa lost their first match and is wake up call. Went back to basic

But the whole team think they are invincible including Eddie Jones and started celebrating mentality.
I mean the side literally didn't celebrate the ABs win, but by all means keep trying to belittle England.

South Africa won today and to attribute it to anything other than them being the better side out there does them a great disservice.

Moral of the story. Don't be arrogant.

I am sick to death of our media being arrogant towards the oppositions chances, we did exactly the same with another world cup last summer and just look how badly that turned out for us, we also very nearly blew it in another world cup final this summer so keep hoping this will act as a warning to our press but sadly it never seems to happen.

Total respect to the Boks, absolutely unmanned us today and deserved 100%.
It's devastating but not heartbreaking - not quite sure why but there it is.

Cole, Youngs, Daly in particular - please crawl back under whichever rocks you came from. Absolute garbage from all of them.
Whoever kept banging on about how Cole had reinvented himself and come back a better player - absolute horseshit. We missed Sinckler so badly.
Now I have to go to Coventry to see Wasps be garbage. Arghh.

Damn it why did Sinckler have to get injured before he had any time at all to make an impact in the game

Latest posts