• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Well at least the other home nations enjoyed that game of anti rugby. Nobody can honestly say they enjoy watching south Africa play.
I did ,today.
Absolute violence in defence and turned it on in attack when given a sniff as the English defence tired.
There's no comparison between the way they played today and the way they played last week.

I don't think SA are a boring side, they can play some incredible rugby, they just know when to arm wrestle. That can create boring games when against sides like Wales, but they're not an inherently boring side.

Happens every time England loses - some people take more pleasure in seeing us lose than seeing their own team win, even if their team is lifting the World Cup

A lot of the time it is targeted toward people like EJ but fully lump in every other supporter in doing so. Always far more exaggerated on forums compared to real life. Can't think of a single English person I know who was cocky on the run up to this game...... more hopeful at best.

Apparently we were arrogant before the final...
So if we have belief we are arrogant but when south Africa do it, well it's just confidence................

There is some truth in that, but i think fixed formations played just as big of a role. How many penalties did they receive from scrums? I recall at least two line outs they stole/disrupted in the 1H.
Their pack is monstrous.

Defence was excellent, but it was the scrums that killed us. Soon as we were leaking penalties there it was advantage S.A. I do hate how you can just leave the ball in and milk a penalty when it's meant to be a restart, but those are the rules. Same as Japan, as soon as we couldn't rely on the scrum we had to be perfect and it just gave S.A the freedom to play their game.

Congratulations SA dominant today and a well deserved World Cup . The most complete performance I've witnessed in a World Cup final.

A lot of the time it is targeted toward people like EJ but fully lump in every other supporter in doing so. Always far more exaggerated on forums compared to real life. Can't think of a single English person I know who was cocky on the run up to this game...... more hopeful at best.
As far as I can tell, the onky "Arrogant Englishman" comment that's been found on the forum, came from an Argentinian...

There is no side in world rugby that could have stood up to that South African power. Fair play. The most complete complete performance I have seen in my short life.

Congratulations South Africa totally deserved that yes I think the officials were in favour of SA but we didn't really deserve the win anyway .

The way that we lost today is really painful and takes away my proudness a little because tbh it was a pitiful performance. Need to move on though as do some players too i.e Daly and Slade who just aren't test level and find some scrummagers and physicality in the back row for games like this because in fairness the two arm wrestle games we have faced we have struggled.

Said before the tournament to several people can't see us putting in three performances In a row. But why did have to save the **** one for the final after an excellent performance against the ABs. As Olyy said it's the hope that kills you

Well played SA think you were my pick pre tournament.

Rugby is played on grass. And it's on the grass where we played our best hand. I said ages ago the stars aligned for us. I was in absolute tears. Thank you England for the game and a great build up. Our country is in ecstacy.

Last edited:
Well done, South Africa - a totally deserved win. Can't remember the last time I saw an England scrum dismantled so comprehensively that it was embarrassing. At 82 I don't expect to be around next time, so this was my last chance to see England lift the trophy again
Mike

There is no side in world rugby that could have stood up to that South African power. Fair play. The most complete complete performance I have seen in my short life.

That was pretty much like the opening game. We got smashed up and bossed around but managed to find a couple of nice tries that the English couldn't pull out of the bag.

The mental strength of South Africa is insane.

Beating Italy having lost to them previously
Beating Japan as host country and having lost to them in 2015
Beating Wales having lost to them last 3 times
Beating England who walloped the All Blacks.

Incredible display in the Final

Well deserved !!!

I'd like to thank the Republic of South Africa on behalf of all the home nations for taking that smarmy snide smile of Eddie Jones' face & saving us from the Hooray Henry brigade & their insufferable gloating.
Perhaps Gatland was right after all, England did play their final a week ago.

My sides are literally hurting from laughter!

Well done, South Africa - a totally deserved win. Can't remember the last time I saw an England scrum dismantled so comprehensively that it was embarrassing. At 82 I don't expect to be around next time, so this was my last chance to see England lift the trophy again
Mike

Mate you've got at least a few more in you! England is a young team you'll be a great shout for the next one!

Latest posts