• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Marler and Cole are pretty solid scrummagers; they won't dominate, but they should hold their own when they come on in the 2nd half

he world game needs a strong Boks and it's fantastic that they're back from where they were a couple of years ago. But for me all the logic points to England, but the game's not played on paper and the ball's a very funny shape.
This

Very disappointed that Marx isn't starting. Also disappointed that Mostert is on the bench. The tiny bit of confidence I had as all but gone. There is 0 benefit to having Mostert come on later. We needed someone like Willemse who could spark something if needed.

I can't help but think Rassie missed a massive trick here. I guess it's time for those free passers to repay the faith now and play out of their skins. The reason Marx was dropped was because his standards were so high that even a small dip would make it seem like he was off form. Mbonambi is decent but he is nowhere near in the same class as Marx is.

My final prediction? England by 12

Yeah, I was also hoping for Mostert to be dropped and have Willemse on the bench, at least he is able to cover multiple positions. Mostert really hasn't done anything this WC and was especially poor against the AB's, missing many tackles.

With the team basically being the same I doubt there will be any sort of variation then. Kicking the ball away will not win this game.

Last edited:
Man I hope you are right!!!
Ja, look, rugby is one of the few places where I let my bias loose a bit.

This English side hasn't been challenged in the forwards like the Boks will challenge them. I think they'll be forced into this battle eventually and I'm not sure they can come on top of what the Boks have to offer there.
The Boks will need patience and discipline (no yellow cards) to keep this pressure on though. That's what I'm worried about.

So what are people planning for the final?

Big breakfast?
Watching in bed?
Going to the pub?
Same as Boks game vs. Japan; higher intensity I reckon
Friends coming over early for a Boerewors roll braai (barbecue), cocktails, big fires and just some fun to calm the nerves. There will be champagne, shooters and the other normal stuff abnormal rugby lovers have.
As the forecast stands now we are in for some heavy rain (very dry at this moment with no spring rain yet) so it might be a mess but that is okay, the wife unit is game and we'll clean up on Sunday

upload_2019-10-31_6-28-27.pngupload_2019-10-31_6-28-53.pngupload_2019-10-31_6-31-10.pngupload_2019-10-31_6-36-1.pngupload_2019-10-31_6-36-40.pngupload_2019-10-31_6-37-2.png

Those Springbokkies look so good. If you play a drinking game with those for every time we kick you will be plastered at the 20 minute mark.

I believe Rassie has done good with sticking to his guns and I do think we'll see a stroke of genius with this team. I think Willie and Faf will pitch up in this game and play an absolute blinder. This is a big occasion, not just another pool game. It's not 60/40 in favour of England. Yes, they had an amazing run, but so have we bar the NZ game. They were fresh and it was their/our first game. This is a reset, 50/50, whomever pitches up gets the glory. I can see it being tighter than most predict including the bookies, I can see a Bok win that'll be tough to watch and not pretty but I think Steyn will come on with minutes to go and drop-kick our way to the trophy. I believe just like the English believe. Our defence will also be key alongside our bench. Come on Bokke! The last 80 of the year, bring it home!

England is yet to see what a 94% tackle completion defence looks like

Cant wait for the game, excitement is really building. I dont know how im going to focus on work today. Everyone i know is just making plans for the weekend.

Need to buy alcohol for if we win, need to buy something stronger for the tears if we lose.

Same as Boks game vs. Japan; higher intensity I reckon
Friends coming over early for a Boerewors roll braai (barbecue), cocktails, big fires and just some fun to calm the nerves. There will be champagne, shooters and the other normal stuff abnormal rugby lovers have.
As the forecast stands now we are in for some heavy rain (very dry at this moment with no spring rain yet) so it might be a mess but that is okay, the wife unit is game and we'll clean up on Sunday

View attachment 7788View attachment 7789View attachment 7790View attachment 7791View attachment 7792View attachment 7793
SA has got to be the only country that has a shot named after their rugby team :D

Nice man cave you have there!

going to braai boerewors rolls and gets lots to drink for this game

I
My prediction is Boks by 4 points.

I don't see England being able to live with the Bok set piece, especially in the second half.

You don't see England dealing with the Bok set piece?! Seriously?! Is that what you are pinning your hopes on? The good luck to you my friend.

England is yet to see what a 94% tackle completion defence looks like

Cant wait for the game, excitement is really building. I dont know how im going to focus on work today. Everyone i know is just making plans for the weekend.

Need to buy alcohol for if we win, need to buy something stronger for the tears if we lose.

thats because we've been moving the ball around in such away that opposition struggle the scragg. Pretty sure NZ tackle stats are usually pretty good. I really do hope the Boks come out and play 1D rugby of the bygone era. It's simple to defend, easy to unpick and gives our attackers a raft of options. Not really sure why so many Saffers here seem to want it. Could it be because they know they haven't got it in them to play any other way

Good to see all the England players fit. Last weeks lads earned the right to play in this final. Gutted for Hienz, fingers crossed Spencer has the mental strength to step in at this late stage if needed.

for England are perfectly placed to take this game. They have just got better and better and seem to be peaking at just at the right moment. SA are a good side but not as good as NZ and we dealt with them just fine, with all their attacking threats, soft hands, deadly bench players and top quality kickers.

The Saffers seem to think that they are much more physical than us and can batter us to death. Not a chance I'm afraid. It's going to take more than that and Erasmus better have something more up his sleeve (which I'm sure he does).

going to be cracker either way.

Latest posts