• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Quack psychology. It affects at most 2 of 46 players. Realistically it's part of Kolisi's personal mental prep at best.

Often these battles are won before the event takes place. Doesn't matter what method is used. Eddie jones did it before the SF in various ways, and Eng did it with their Haka response. Conor McGregor beat Jose Aldo long before the fight happened. Obviously nobody is saying it all boiled down to that small moment, but it's a moment none the less.

Last edited:
Nah, it's not the media.

Owen Farrell is not well liked in SA. And a lot of that has to do with what happens on the field. Regardless of what the media writes about him or anyone else for that matter.

What makes us despise England more is that a lot of their fans have the opinion that players in certain positions are way better than the players of SA in that same position. And whenever that comparison is made that for example Itoje is better than Lood, then that ****** a lot of people off. First because it's Lood, and he's one of the most likeable guys you'll ever meet regardless of his rugby form, and second, because the comparison should never have been made in the first place.

If only you could have seen the amount of photos/memes/messages of how the people dislike Farrell in SA, i think it will give a lot of the english posters on here a fright.
Not just dislike but despise? Think that says more about you guys then frankly. Still to each his own.

An observation I have made since the final whistle is the increased Welsh interest in the world cup. Living and working in South Wales, I have a lot of Welsh contacts on social media. Quite a few of them barely posted during the world cup as I guess they were generally disappointed with how their team was playing, despite getting to the SF. Since Saturday morning, they can't stop posting about the world cup. And guess what, apparently, if they'd have got to the final, they'd be world champions now.

Yup.

So far only Flouw has announced his retirement. While Beast said he will make an announcement in the coming week. Duane Vermeulen has hinted that he still wants to play, and my guess is that he wants to try and play the B&I Lions.

But yeah, we were blessed with a lot of good young players who can now build on creating a dynasty.

Duane's game is not reliant on pace, I think he could go to 2023. Even if he doesn't start he can perform the Brits role

Nah, it's not the media.

Owen Farrell is not well liked in SA. And a lot of that has to do with what happens on the field. Regardless of what the media writes about him or anyone else for that matter.

What makes us despise England more is that a lot of their fans have the opinion that players in certain positions are way better than the players of SA in that same position. And whenever that comparison is made that for example Itoje is better than Lood, then that ****** a lot of people off. First because it's Lood, and he's one of the most likeable guys you'll ever meet regardless of his rugby form, and second, because the comparison should never have been made in the first place.

If only you could have seen the amount of photos/memes/messages of how the people dislike Farrell in SA, i think it will give a lot of the english posters on here a fright.

I think articles like this sum it up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50246735

"If you could choose a combined XV from England and South Africa at this World Cup, you would choose all England players."

The fact that Matt Dawson wrote it makes it all the sweeter :)

Feel genuinely happy for you! As an Englishman I'm gutted, but the days of elation makes sport, any sport, what it is and why it matters so much in our lives. Congratulations to SA for an outstanding performance. You deserve every credit.
I'd be more happy for them if half of them didn't tell us all that they hate and despise us.

That's unfortunate because he has been in the studio for the Australian broadcast throughout the RWC and has been really good. Fair, consistent, and definitely knows his rugby. I remember hating him during the 2009 Lions tour but was pleasantly surprised this time around.

However he is lying. He called England to win by a big margin on the night, pretty sure it was around 10 points.
Did we watch different broadcasts? He was ****ing dreadful. He also unequivocally stated that England would beat South Africa.

Why would Brexit **** off a South African, it has literally nothing to do with you and doesn't affect you in any way?!

Not to turn this into politics, but a simple google will help you out here. There are quite a few ramifications for us.

The fact that you despise the English because of our media, despite the English public despising our media, is very telling.

To be fair many people here still hold a grudge from the Boer war and what happened there. (Not justifying anything as I had 2 great grandparents who fought on opposite sides of that war) Besides, it's worse for us here as even our own governments despise some of us (White South Africans.) So we can at least always relate to hate lol. Anyway I said my stance on England already so we can't all be painted with the same brush, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Don't ask a Brexit supporter to Google stuff. They melt at the sight of facts :D
What makes you think that I'm a Brexit supporter? I'm an interested observer from afar, have family who voted on both sides. I'll tell you what I can't stand though, smug little shits.

I'd be more happy for them if half of them didn't tell us all that they hate and despise us.

You are taking this waaaaaay too personally. We are using the words hate and despise with tongue in cheek. And we use it only when it comes to sport, and we overgeneralise this as well.

I love you guys on this forum. I love your tv shows. And I love your comedians. I love your accents. I love Arsenal.

You are taking this waaaaaay too personally. We are using the words hate and despise with tongue in cheek. And we use it only when it comes to sport, and we overgeneralise this as well.

I love you guys on this forum. I love your tv shows. And I love your comedians. I love your accents. I love Arsenal.
Perhaps don't use the word despise then mate, it's fairly emotive and didn't come across as a joke, but all good.

Latest posts