• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: South Africa - Wales (11-09-2011, 20:30)

If Scotland can beat south africa, so can we.
Don't write the welsh off just yet..

Think South Africa should take it by 5 but would not mind if Wales won. I'd rather Wales face NZ in the Semi's and if all go's well Soth Africa play NZ in the Final! 1995 RWC Replay....

If South Africa do beat Wales they should send their B Team to play Fiji and Namibia so that players don't get injured and if a game is lost avoid playing NZ in semi's. That been said Oz may pose a bigger threat than NZ?

Whether SA win or not I can't wait to see some freakin great rugby, some upsets, NEW ARRIVALS and most of all I would love for Wilkinson, O' Driscoll, Habana, Matfield, Fourie Du Preez to shine and finish their careers on a high!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Were any of those games played in the Southern Hemisphere? No... All 3 matches in which Wales was close to beating us, were played in Cardiff. This is different.
Were any of the games in NZ though? ;) I take the point that Wales had the home ground advantage for these games, but it is not as though South Africa has the home ground advantage this time. New Zealand crowds traditionally cheer for the underdog, so I'd imagine Wales will be getting more support than South Africa (and we like to cheer against South Africa/Australia too, because we are scared of them :eek:). I just expect it to be a close game because I still think South Africa is a long way from their top form. If this match was the last match of pool play, rather than one of the first, I'd certainly be more convinced of a South African victory as they would have had more than just two full games together in the last 9 months.

i dont see wales beating us on the 11th even if we're not on form, have the worst coach in the world and start our 23rd best hooker. no disrespect to them but i think we should take it by 10 or 12 points...

i dont see wales beating us on the 11th even if we're not on form, have the worst coach in the world and start our 23rd best hooker.

Isn't that abit harsh? They nearly got us last time we played them, but I think (and hope) SA will win this one.

That's almost as shocking as what this guy said:

Meh don't rate S.A. particulary highly.

I just hope we start with Bismarck du Plessis, Patrick Lambie and Gio Aplon in stead of John Smit, Francois Steyn and Bryan Habana... It will not happen, I am just a very hopeful guy haha

I think Lambie is still a slight doubt/ concern for this game, they might decide not to take the risk with the rest of the tourney in mind.

However, for South Africa's sake (and the Sharks) I hope he is ready

Meh don't rate S.A. particulary highly. yes we lost last time to them and we've been pretty bad recently but not worried. I'd expect a win but obviously wouldn't be shocked by a loss.

Also when we played them last we used Buckley and MO'D if that's not a formula for disaster I don't know what is.

Too bad for you Irish that Paul Honiss isn't a world cup referee!!

Think South Africa should take it by 5 but would not mind if Wales won. I'd rather Wales face NZ in the Semi's and if all go's well Soth Africa play NZ in the Final! 1995 RWC Replay....

If South Africa do beat Wales they should send their B Team to play Fiji and Namibia so that players don't get injured and if a game is lost avoid playing NZ in semi's. That been said Oz may pose a bigger threat than NZ?

Whether SA win or not I can't wait to see some freakin great rugby, some upsets, NEW ARRIVALS and most of all I would love for Wilkinson, O' Driscoll, Habana, Matfield, Fourie Du Preez to shine and finish their careers on a high!

Lets hope Habana DOES decide to call it a day afterwards LOL. AC will probably become coach and we know he won't drop Habana either. That said I do hope the guy has a great RWC!

I'd hate to drop a game though. To be the best you have to beat the best and I'd hate winning another RWC without beating the AB's. So here's hoping they make it past the QF and meet us in the SF. I don't know if I could stand the irritation of having to hear again; 'meh, your RWC counts for **** as you didn't beat us." as if it's our fault if they don't make it that far.

I just hope we start with Bismarck du Plessis, Patrick Lambie and Gio Aplon in stead of John Smit, Francois Steyn and Bryan Habana... It will not happen, I am just a very hopeful guy haha

Here's holding thumbs. I'd like to add JdJ ahead of JdV to that list as well. Would you agree?

OK LISTEN PEOPLE MARK MY WORDS... WALES WILL WIN .. WHY?? WELL BECAUSE IF THE BOOKS WIN THE GROUP THE MOST LIKELY IS THAT THEY WILL FACE THE ALL BLACKS IN THE SEMIFINALS, AND THEY DONT WANT THAT... IF THEY PLAY AGAINTS THE ALL BLACKS IN SEMIS, IS ALMOST FOR SURE THAT THEY WILL LOSE THE MATCH, BUT IF THEY MEET THE ALL BLACKS IN THE FINAL ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN THERE... SO THEY NEED TO LOSE VS WALES AND MADE THE NEXT ROUND AS THE SECOND PLACE...:p BESIDES WALES DEFEATED ENGLAND IN THE WARM UP REMEMBER?.

Last edited:
OK LISTEN PEOPLE MARK MY WORDS... WALES WILL WIN .. WHY?? WELL BECAUSE IF THE BOOKS WIN THE GROUP THE MOST LIKELY IS THAT THEY WILL FACE THE ALL BLACKS IN THE SEMIFINALS, AND THEY DONT WANT THAT... IF THEY PLAY AGAINTS THE ALL BLACKS IN SEMIS, IS ALMOST FOR SURE THAT THEY WILL LOSE THE MATCH, BUT IF THEY MEET THE ALL BLACKS IN THE FINAL ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN THERE... SO THEY NEED TO LOSE VS WALES AND MADE THE NEXT ROUND AS THE SECOND PLACE...:p BESIDES WALES DEFEATED ENGLAND IN THE WARM UP REMEMBER?.

Clearly grammar and punctuation is not high in the Canadian Education system ey??

the Books? do you mean the bookies? please not another Bookie sport scandal!!

So why would Wales not also look to finish 2nd if it has such an upshot? LOL, can you imagine two teams trying their level best to lose?

No, I can assure you South Africa will try their best to beat Wales and if Wales win then good on them. I can also assure you that this team has confidence and won't stand back. IE we are not cowards and also only an idiot would take that chance in sport in a knock-out structure. If anything I am personally more concerned about facing Aus than NZ in the knock-outs.

Where is Frans Steyn likely to play ? Center or Fullback ?

Where is Frans Steyn likely to play ? Center or Fullback ?
Probably fullback, though most will say he is best in midfield (including myself).
The only other option is Aplon, who really isn't a fullback either.

Agree about Frans playing as a center, he's been quite impressive as a 12 last year with Racing Metro.

So there's no proper fullback in the Bok squad ? The only one I can think about in Kirschner, who is not even in the squad.

And there's Lambie, but he has played most of his games as a fly half, hasn't he ? (until Michalak joined the Sharks)

Agree about Frans playing as a center, he's been quite impressive as a 12 last year with Racing Metro.

So there's no proper fullback in the Bok squad ? The only one I can think about in Kirschner, who is not even in the squad.

And there's Lambie, but he has played most of his games as a fly half, hasn't he ? (until Michalak joined the Sharks)

Yeah, Lambie can play fullback, but AFAIK he is injured.
Kirchner shouldn't be close to Bok selection. Riaan Viljoen has been the form SA fullback but seems to be absent in PdV's mind.

Yeah, Lambie can play fullback, but AFAIK he is injured.
Kirchner shouldn't be close to Bok selection. Riaan Viljoen has been the form SA fullback but seems to be absent in PdV's mind.

Yet he plays wing and fly half for Griquas...

we have enough players who are versatile and can play in more than one position. but what are the characteristics of a fullback? he must be able to kick, catch the ball under pressure, be the last line of defence and connect with the backline on attack.

Lambie, Aplon and Steyn gets full marks on all accounts... so there's at least 3 proper Fullbacks in the bok squad @Aout

I'd say Aplon can't kick. Not as far as to effectively relieve pressure like te likes of Lambie or Steyn and Viljoen as well. Steyn hasn't shown any interest whatsoever of joining the line effectively or counterattacking; if he recieves the ball from someone clearing from their 22, he'd go for a drop rather than run it up. Lambie is our best bet in the squad but under an injury cloud. Remember that Lambie played for SA juniors at fullback and only started at 10 for the Sharks later on in his rugby carreer. 10 is where SA needs his talents most in the future though IMO.

I agree Viljoen should have been in this squad or rather he should have been in the Springbok fold earlier (while Kirschner was doing the rounds) to have been part of the structures allready rather than a last desperate call-up which he would be if we were to call him up now.

Post RWC I'd like to see both Jaco Taute and Louis Ludik at least given a fair go for the #15 and #22 jerseys. If Steyn wants it he should come to SA and play at 15 and lose the excess weight and get an attitude adjustment and rather eat pap than pastries for breakfast.

Last edited:

Latest posts