• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: South Africa - Wales (11-09-2011, 20:30)

If its going to be rainy and cold, trust me they'll be used to that lol.

yeah, it would be interesting to see how many of the Welsh players has 1. Played in the Southern Hemisphere and if so 2. played in New Zealand.

maybe the conditions will also be a factor.

Quite a lot you may find ...

(In NZ)

Paul James
Huw Bennett
Adam Jones
Craig Mitchell
Bradley Davies
Alun Wyn-Jones
Ryan Jones
Mike Phillips
Tavis Knoyle
Stephen Jones
Jaime Roberts
Jonathan Davies
Lee Halfpenny
Lee Byrne

In SH:

Gethin Jenkins
Andy Powell
James Hook
Shane Williams
Aled Brew

A fair few ... I'm liking that we are being written off here, think Wales will be happy to take the under-dog tag. Pressure is all on South Africa to deliver a victory here. Wales will have nothing to lose but South Africa will have it all.

If its going to be rainy and cold, trust me they'll be used to that lol.

It's a pity then that the 'Training camp' was in Rustenburg, rather than Durban.

The last two/three months we've had rain and cold snaps to rival the darkest depths of the Highlands

@ heineken

Well, the Welsh tour the south whenever they can, in 2008 it was SA, 2009 was the Lions tour, 2010 they played Aus & NZ I think, and this year those sides were unavailable. So I'd imagine a fair chunk of their squad has played here, even if we just counted the last 4 years

Edit: Ah, Olly beat me, and with a list

I'm amazed how confident some South African fans seem to be. The last three games between the two teams have been very tight (all within 5 points!), and looking at the two teams build-ups I'd suggest Wales are probably in better form. I think South Africa do deserve to start as favourites, but I expect it will be a very close game, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wales won this game.

Last edited:
I'm liking that we are being written off here, think Wales will be happy to take the under-dog tag. Pressure is all on South Africa to deliver a victory here. Wales will have nothing to lose but South Africa will have it all.

We actually don't have that much to lose. The whole world is backing Aus or NZ to win the tournament, while we seem to be the most hated rugby playing nation because of our boring rugby. We don't have anything to prove, and the worst that can happen is we exit early and have our mongaloid coach fired. There is no doubt though, that even though we only played 2 games this year, with our first choice team, we have improved. The players look like they are getting back into it, and we don't have any injury concerns whatsoever.

On paper, we are a better team than Wales, and almost always have been thanks to our monstrously big player pool, and tournaments that constantly put us against the top two teams in the World, means we are constantly pushed. I just can't see us losing to a Welsh team that aren't even regarded as the best team currently in Europe. It's not arrogance or heart, but simply that we are a better team than Wales. The only way we are going to lose is if we just don't show up for the occasion, and Wales play the game of their lives, giving away no penalties, and out-muscling us at the break-down.

I don't see that happening.

I have to say I love the banter!

The Welsh were always going to go into this match as the underdogs; just look at the rankings. I'm not saying they don't have a chance; they always have a chance. Just as we will go into the match against NZ as the underdogs.

Also, over the last couple of tournaments SA has done better (at the RWC) than in other matches were Wales would do well to clear the pool stages with their recent history at the tournament. This (the RWC) is the only yardstick you can really use to compare NH and SH rugby IMO as its the only time that both sets of teams gear towards the same ends. This effects not only the mindsets of teams but also the personel; you'd blood a few youngsters during the end of your normal season for instance but you'll be going all out in a RWC game.

I guess SA fans here are saying that the Bok team will be a much different animal than the last 1 and a half years has indicated and the last 2 games is the only indicator with a team that is looking to get back together again and shake of the rust. I feel Wales had a beter opportunity to win in our 3 previous matches than the upcoming one simply because of timing and personel. This time round we'll be at full strength (barring John Smit starting and the like LOL) and purposefull.

Last edited:
I honestly expect Wales to win. Perhaps there's not too much logic in my thinking, but I feel the team is hitting form, just as the Boks aren't. Yes, they beat an All Blacks B side, but still failed to score a try in the process. Doesn't scare me. The only thing standing between Wales and the win would really be the mindset of the players, who are use to losing to SA. Injuries have forced our hand, but I'd go with a team simular to Draggs'-

1. Paul James
2. Huw Bennett
2. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Danny Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Ryan Jones

9. Tavis Knoyle
10. James Hook
11. Shane Williams
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathan Davies
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Lloyd Burns
17. Ryan Bevington (That way we've got cover for both sides, as Paul James can move to 3, where as Mitchell only plays 3)
18. Luke Charteris
19. Toby Faletau
20. Mike Phillips
21. Stephen Jones
22. Lee Byrne

I wouldn't mind Stephen coming in for Davies, I just want to see Hook at 10, and Gatland'll start Phillips. Gwyn Jones had a point on Sport Wales last week about starting Hook at 15, because he's more likely to get there ball there, thanks to the Sprinkbok's love of positive, running rugby, though having been playing RWC11, I'm sold on Halfpenny as a fullback. Ultra-solid and scores his fair share of tries.

Where is all this Wales coming into form coming from, I thought I could hear everyone cringe at the quality of the England/ Argentina games?

I honestly expect Wales to win. Perhaps there's not too much logic in my thinking, but I feel the team is hitting form, just as the Boks aren't. Yes, they beat an All Blacks B side, but still failed to score a try in the process.

We were good against Australia, but lacked match fitness, which is why we couldn't last against them, and then beat an All Blacks B team, who in my opinion, would have been capable of beating all of the home nations. While we didn't score a try, we did manage to slaughter the All Blacks both at scrum time, and in the loose. Where, pray tell, do you see that we are not hitting form? Our top team only played two test this year. The first was the first time they played together for almost 8 weeks (essentially their first test of the year, and only lost by 5 points to eventual Tri-Nations champions Australia, who already had 3 matches behind their belt. We then beat a New Zealand team boasting many form players of the Super 15. Yes, it was not their full strength team, but any All Black side is a good side, and still boasted World Class players like Israel Dagg, Sonny Bill Williams, Corey Jane, Richard Kahui and Kevin Mealamu.

Wales need a lot more than their mindset to beat us.

Where is all this Wales coming into form coming from, I thought I could hear everyone cringe at the quality of the England/ Argentina games?

I know? Don't know what this form talk is about?

We were good against Australia, but lacked match fitness, which is why we couldn't last against them, and then beat an All Blacks B team, who in my opinion, would have been capable of beating all of the home nations. While we didn't score a try, we did manage to slaughter the All Blacks both at scrum time, and in the loose. Where, pray tell, do you see that we are not hitting form? Our top team only played two test this year. The first was the first time they played together for almost 8 weeks (essentially their first test of the year, and only lost by 5 points to eventual Tri-Nations champions Australia, who already had 3 matches behind their belt. We then beat a New Zealand team boasting many form players of the Super 15. Yes, it was not their full strength team, but any All Black side is a good side, and still boasted World Class players like Israel Dagg, Sonny Bill Williams, Corey Jane, Richard Kahui and Kevin Mealamu.

Wales need a lot more than their mindset to beat us.

I see your point, though my mind's just clouded by such patriotism that I refuse to think that Wales' next opponents could be anything but beatable. I convinced myself we'd beat the All Blacks last year. Three times.

PdV has stated that he will be putting out his full strength team in every match so we won't be seeing 2nd string teams against the likes of Namibia and Wales which makes for a more enjoyable RWC IMO. People pay to see the best.

PdV has stated that he will be putting out his full strength team in every match so we won't be seeing 2nd string teams against the likes of Namibia and Wales which makes for a more enjoyable RWC IMO. People pay to see the best.

scorecards.png

Poor trolling ...

**** off son.

Hehe didn't even see that the first time I read that :p. Nice one.

I see your point, though my mind's just clouded by such patriotism that I refuse to think that Wales' next opponents could be anything but beatable. I convinced myself we'd beat the All Blacks last year. Three times.

See now that's where it's at. I like Wales too, and their backs look to be really cohesive. Hook MUST start at 10 though. Jones has too many limitations. I think We will be in for a much tougher task if Hook will start at 10.

Latest posts