• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: South Africa - Wales (11-09-2011, 20:30)

Never thought this would happen but I'm supporting wales in this game if only because I think some SH fans are really underestimating Wales and the other NH teams. That said, i don't know where this talk of form has come from for either side. The Argentina match, for example, but for a few moments of genius from north and some great skill by Alun-Wyn, Wales would have been going into the half time break disappointed with their performance, and anything could have happened thereafter. In the second England game, wales defended well but were ultimately saved by how **** england's backs were. This said, Wales still have the potential to beat most sides, its just that I dont think that is evidenced by recent form, more just their inherent squad strength.

likewise with SA, a few weeks ago people were talking about how ppoor they were, virtually down and out, and now after a win against New Zealand (impressive I know, but wasn't it a NZ 2nd team?), people say their back on form. What rubbish.

Personally I think we know very little about the two sides going into this game.

I would love to see Wales win to be honest but although they have the players and the fitness to win I doubt they have the belief, the amount of times they have lost to indifferent SH teams in Cardiff over the last 5-6 years is a worry and Im not sure it Gatland and co can get their heads right.

Although picking an uninhibited 22 yr old as captain might be an inspired choice as he hasnt had time to become overawed by the SH teams and he will hopefully bring a " Dont give a fu** how many world cups they have won" attitude to the Welsh team

People seem to forget that SA were very poor during the 2007 Tri nations as well, but went on to win the World cup.I think they will be firing on all cilinders coming 11 Sep(I hope) Hehe!!!

I'm amazed how confident some South African fans seem to be. The last three games between the two teams have been very tight (all within 5 points!), and looking at the two teams build-ups I'd suggest Wales are probably in better form. I think South Africa do deserve to start as favourites, but I expect it will be a very close game, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wales won this game.

Question: Were any of those games played in the Southern Hemisphere? No... All 3 matches in which Wales was close to beating us, were played in Cardiff. This is different.

Games are being played as part of the World Cup where the pressure is different ... no?

Question: Were any of those games played in the Southern Hemisphere? No... All 3 matches in which Wales was close to beating us, were played in Cardiff. This is different.

2008 was in SA. 20-15. It has to be noted though that SA scored the only 2 tries in that match. Wales were grand Slam champions at the time. It was the first game under a new coach; PdV. Team line-up: 1 Beast, 2 Bismarck, 3 Smit!, 4 Botha, 5 Matfield, 6 Burger, 7 Smith, 8 Spies, 9 Du Preez, 10 Pienaar!, 11 Habana, 12 De Villiers, 13 Jacobs!, 14 Pietersen, 15 Jantjes!

Never thought this would happen but I'm supporting wales in this game if only because I think some SH fans are really underestimating Wales and the other NH teams. That said, i don't know where this talk of form has come from for either side. The Argentina match, for example, but for a few moments of genius from north and some great skill by Alun-Wyn, Wales would have been going into the half time break disappointed with their performance, and anything could have happened thereafter. In the second England game, wales defended well but were ultimately saved by how **** england's backs were. This said, Wales still have the potential to beat most sides, its just that I dont think that is evidenced by recent form, more just their inherent squad strength.

likewise with SA, a few weeks ago people were talking about how ppoor they were, virtually down and out, and now after a win against New Zealand (impressive I know, but wasn't it a NZ 2nd team?), people say their back on form. What rubbish.

Personally I think we know very little about the two sides going into this game.

Ah, poo. A neutral talking some sense LOL.

Wales are the underdogs. Their record at the RWC and against SA make this clear. SA has its top team back together (with the exception of Juan Smith) for the first time in 18 months and the curve is upwards after 2 gamse though we need to work on
- first time tackling
- tactical kicking from FdP has been sub standard
- supporting play ITO keeping the ball alive/offloading/looking to link up
- handling in general has been poor; too many chances one begging from unforced knock-ons
- forwards need to stay out of the backline when there are options wide

So, yeah there is a lot of improvement to be done.

Also, while I might be underestimating Wales I have a lot of respect for France and see them as the dark horse to win the tournament.

Last edited:
Think South Africa could take this by about 15-20 points, too physical for Wales I think, but still believe that Wales will qualify. The only possible option for full back for Wales is only going to be Byrne or Hook with Stephen Jones OH

2 words to the welsh: Heinrich Brussouw!

there's fetcher in the NH that can be considered in the same league as Brussouw, Pocock and Mccaw.

that's why the NH clubs keep on buying SH flankers to play for their teams!!

Brussouw is going to steal a lot of balls, give us front foot ball and let our backs run!

there's a reason why Rassie Erasmus is with the Springboks... just wait and see what he does with our team on the technical side as well as finishing.

Also, has Wales ever won in the Southern Hemisphere??

You've obviously barely watched Warburton play then! Last year he went toe to toe with McCaw and Pocock and didn't look out of his depth atall, and that was in some of his first international caps. He's improved further sinse then, and has been one of the best flankers in the NH over the past 6 months, especially in the two warm-up games against England where he was simply awesome. He's normally first to the breakdown, and is strong over the ball, he won't be blown away by Brussouw, I guarantee that. Why do you think he's been made Captain at the tender age of 22, because he's gonna be involved for a long, long time.

I fully understand why Wales are going into this match as underdogs, and to some extents why many South Africans have already written us off. Our history against SA is woeful. However I think this Wales team is better than anything gone before, a couple of years too young at the moment probably, but maybe a young team is exactly what we need, full of self-belief and stuff. Still think we've got a genuine chance in this game.

It's going to be big game. Winner get's the 2nd Spot in Pool. :)

At least you should be able to beat the Wallababies - Samoa did.

2008 was in SA. 20-15. It has to be noted though that SA scored the only 2 tries in that match. Wales were grand Slam champions at the time. It was the first game under a new coach; PdV. Team line-up: 1 Beast, 2 Bismarck, 3 Smit!, 4 Botha, 5 Matfield, 6 Burger, 7 Smith, 8 Spies, 9 Du Preez, 10 Pienaar!, 11 Habana, 12 De Villiers, 13 Jacobs!, 14 Pietersen, 15 Jantjes!

Ehm, according to the official website of SARU, the match was played in Cardiff:

http://www.sarugby.co.za/matchbreak...gueid=1&homeid=6999&awayid=7002&fullview=true

Games are being played as part of the World Cup where the pressure is different ... no?

World Cup pressure, sure... But you cannot deny the fact that the Springboks are much more used to the climate in the SH during this season. Not that this will decide everything, but I think Wales will struggle in New Zealand because the wet conditions don't really suit their type of rugby.

Last edited by a moderator:
World Cup pressure, sure... But you cannot deny the fact that the Springboks are much more used to the climate in the SH during this season. Not that this will decide everything, but I think Wales will struggle in New Zealand because the wet conditions don't really suit their type of rugby.

Obviously you have never been to Wales ...

Classic chirp!

At least you should be able to beat the Wallababies - Samoa did.

Ehm, according to the official website of SARU, the match was played in Cardiff:

http://www.sarugby.co.za/matchbreak...gueid=1&homeid=6999&awayid=7002&fullview=true

Fark, I should start double checking. My memory seems selective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bok scrum isn't bad but I'd back Adam over both Mtawarira (again) and Steenkamp.
Du Plessis and James would be about equal in the scrums, but Jannie would be ahead of Paul James in the loose.

Don't forget the hookers. SA should have the stronger scrum I think so anyways. We shall see next week!:D

Don't forget the hookers. SA should have the stronger scrum I think so anyways. We shall see next week!:D
Du Plessis will beat anybody; Smit v Bennett is a tough one.
I think that Botha and Matfield will add more in the scrum than Alun Wyn and Bradley (unless Alun Wyn can keep his form up).

So no chance of Melon playing?

Wales to win but won't be suprised if both teams don't appear as they're staring at themselves in the mirror.

Adam Jones= best tighthead scrummager in...the world (bit of Clarkson there)

Neither team is great at the moment.

Now I'll keep up my habit of entioning Ireland on every thread and say the outlandish. If we get S.A. in the quarters at the moment Iwouldn't be overly worried.

Meh don't rate S.A. particulary highly. yes we lost last time to them and we've been pretty bad recently but not worried. I'd expect a win but obviously wouldn't be shocked by a loss.

Also when we played them last we used Buckley and MO'D if that's not a formula for disaster I don't know what is.

Anyone and everyone would be wise to be wary of SA in a knockout stage. They are probably the best team in the world at grinding out a win and stifling the opposition.

Latest posts