• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

I would like the ABs to win it as the smaller nation and for 7-1 to blow up in the Boks face. I still have no clue, so time to hedge some bets

If heavy rain -
Boks 21 - 9 ABs

If not heavy rain -
Boks 23 - 19 ABs

If Faf, Bongi or a Bok winger get injured
ABs 19 - 15 Boks

Since when is innovation a bad thing ?

I would like the ABs to win it as the smaller nation and for 7-1 to blow up in the Boks face. I still have no clue, so time to hedge some bets

If heavy rain -
Boks 21 - 9 ABs

If not heavy rain -
Boks 23 - 19 ABs

If Faf, Bongi or a Bok winger get injured
ABs 19 - 15 Boks

I would take that. Wish I were as confident.

Comment on Youtube

"Has anyone noticed the only times the 7-1 split was played by SA was against AB's and Ireland. SA tested it out against both of them knowing that they might face any of them again in the final. What a move."

Interesting.

When it focuses on conservative, forward play encouraging oversized forwards that cannot sustain 80mins action.

I wouldn't mind 7-1 winning if it was my side, but as a neutral I'll go with the side with an ALB and DMac in the bench.

No wonder he isn't going to play....

Comment on Youtube

"Has anyone noticed the only times the 7-1 split was played by SA was against AB's and Ireland. SA tested it out against both of them knowing that they might face any of them again in the final. What a move."

Interesting.
Interesting but a crystal ball was probably not required to realise one of them the most likely finalist given the draw.

Shows you don't need to be huge to be a good international number 8.
There's still a prevailing view in NZ that he's too small to be playing 8 and his best spot is 7.

Will be interesting to see where Robertson plays him next year.

There's still a prevailing view in NZ that he's too small to be playing 8 and his best spot is 7.

for me its been less about his size (very strong to make up for it) and more how he plays...like a 7, he doesnt run on the edges like most 8's would...but neither do out other loosies meaning we often end up with one of the tight 5 on the edge....which doesnt work the best with our attacking shape...so he make yards with ball in hand...of too often in tight when its not expected and he has been know to get isolated from his support

Tauekei'aho over Coles as bench hooker reflects Coach bias at every level of the game in NZ.
The solid Islander will get selected every time, ahead of the pakeha boy, no matter skill level; speed; ability to read the game etc.

Tauekei'aho over Coles as bench hooker reflects Coach bias at every level of the game in NZ.
The solid Islander will get selected every time, ahead of the pakeha boy, no matter skill level; speed; ability to read the game etc.
...thats a super hot take

12 months ago there was plenty of talk that coles (and taylor) were liabilities and well past it. Sami was the future and never be dropped

his form wavered and coles and taylor both rallied to make it a more even race bit Sami very much still a valid option

Last edited:
You must be just stirring because that's absolutely nonsense.

My picks for the final. In the last three minutes an obliviously one sided referee's call will decide the outcome, Bongi Mbonambi will not be heard yelling "swart kant" and no sponsors watches will be worn by the officials.

What damage is he perceived to have done?
Lost to Argentina for the first time ever
Lost to Argentina at home for the first time ever
Lost to Ireland at home for the first time ever
Lost home series 2/1 to Ireland (saying the ABs were not as well-prepared as they should have been - no shite!!)
Lost 5 out of 6 tests in a row for the first time ever

Want me to carry on?? Those losses will have hit the value of the ABs brand on the world market at a time when NZR are trying to maximise the $$$ from sponsors and broadcast deals.

i'll also add...its not just the losses for me as teams like Ireland and Argentina have also improved....its the poor tactics (chip kicks, cross field kicks or bombs in our own 22...and then poorly executed ones) its some people that will never be dropped but others that get dropped after half a bad game, its the poor exits and apparently never working on getting any better, its the we havent broken them open after 3 phases then aimlessly kick it down the middle

so, for me the losses are bad....but how we contributed to them and seemingly just accepted they we almost out of our control...ive come to the conclusion hes a smug unapologetic guy and will be happy to see the back of him even if we win

I feel like it took awhile for the coaches to come up with a game plan to get the ball to players who can make a distends when the whole world had been staring at Ardie savea for three years. It really seems that the all blacks have simplified things during the World Cup by just giving the ball to really good players instead of hoping some system will break a team down.

I feel like it took awhile for the coaches to come up with a game plan to get the ball to players who can make a distends when the whole world had been staring at Ardie savea for three years. It really seems that the all blacks have simplified things during the World Cup by just giving the ball to really good players instead of hoping some system will break a team down.
strangely i see the exact opposite, for 5 years our game plan was largely just give it to BB/Savea/RM/RI....and hope they do something amazing, no working or plan to make space, you see our wings try scoping dried up other than worldies from the other end of the field...no grinding and then go wide and in the corner

during this world cup and most obviously we've seen a huge change in what the AB's are trying to do, see the 29 phases in a row in the first quarter against Ireland.....we would have whoe games without 30 phases before, we saw the AB's actually use some shape on attack and when the space wasn't there we were happy to keep it tight

When it focuses on conservative, forward play encouraging oversized forwards that cannot sustain 80mins action.

I wouldn't mind 7-1 winning if it was my side, but as a neutral I'll go with the side with an ALB and DMac in the bench.
But isn't it a better story if the dmac team beats the double down ogres? Elves vs elves is boring

...thats a super hot take

12 months ago there was plenty of talk that coles (and taylor) were liabilities and well past it. Sami was the future and never be dropped

his form wavered and coles and taylor both rallied to make it a more even race bit Sami very much still a valid option
I think I found another to add to the ignore list :rolleyes:

I think he is overseas next year (just for a year I think). And as someone who relies on his explosiveness, and given how young his brother was when he lost his, you'd have to wonder how much, if any, time he has left in the all blacks

Latest posts