• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Argentina - South Africa (25/08/2012)

I agree with you LG, he is becoming a really good referee, much better than he was when he was a winking twat.

He also used to come off as really abrasive towards captains, and of course his off the field problems weren't helping. Good to see he's turned things around personally and professionally.

I agree with you LG, he is becoming a really good referee, much better than he was when he was a winking twat.

His match reffing us v Boks in 2010 was a disgrace, but since then I have been pleasantly surprised with Walsh.
He is able to be polite yet firm to the players.

If we like close matches like this one am I wrong or are the only ones coming our way still in this group somewhere: Australia when away to Argentina & both Australia/South Africa tests. Nobody can stop the All Blacks anymore than Argentina can beat one of the best sides in the world in their place it seems.

Is it just me or is Walsh becoming a really good official, his communication with the players has really improved and I like how he tells teams what he's getting frustrated about without immediately reaching into his pocket for a yellow card.

I agree with this. His communications with players was exemplary in this match, given that he doesn't speak Spanish or French (most of the Argies speak good French)

Back when he was a "winking twat" (as Sker so aptly put it) he also was at the end of his battles with the demon drink. Walsh has had a severe attitude adjustment since then.

As for his officiating in the scrum, well neither side we're listening to him, and seeming to be wanting to co-operate. As a referee, you pretty much can't do anything about it if both teams playing. Its their game, and if they all want to act like prats then let them.

As for the result, those of us who want Argentina to do well shouldn't be dissapointed, this was a great effort, I really think the Wallabies could be in trouble when they travel to Argentina.

I think its beginning to dawn on a lot of fans in the three SANZAR countries that there will be no easy table points in Argentina. They are going to be a bloody difficult prospect at home.

Also, I think the All Blacks are going to have their work cut out for them in Wellington in two weeks time.

Also fantastic to see a lot of Argentine members posting about the game welcome to the forum everyone.

I agree. I'd like to see as many Los Pumas fans on these forums as there are Kiwis, Saffas and Aussies.

i think once argentina subed roncero and vergallo they lost all momentum and eventually conceded the draw.

Get Rid of Meyer and his blue bull tendancies and bring back Pieter De Villiers!

A pretty disgraceful performance from our boys if I am to be honest.

A few things I took from the game....

Francois Hougaard has to be picked on the wing, as his delivery from the ruck is just to slow, granted the forwards didn't help. The other reason being, he is just to good on the wing not to play there. He has shown time and time again it is his better position. Mvovo needs to make way for him.

Andries Bekker is just not the same player he was a couple of years ago, and one of his worst performance I have seen from him in a while. We really do miss Victor.

Morne has to go, simple as that. I know there are a few Bulls fans who still think he is our premier Flyhalf, and that Meyer can coach him back to his ''best''. But if the only reason he is there is to kick the goals, and he isn't, what is the point of him being there? It's not like we don't have anyone else, with Lambie and the recently fit Goosen waiting in the wings.

There are to many guys there who just in my opinion don't deserve to be wearing the green jersey. One being Potgieter, who just is not International class yet, and with the loose forwards South Africa have at their disposal, I don't see how he is in the team.

I really was happy when Meyer was appointed coach, but slowly I am losing my confidence and patience with the guy. I am just so sick of the same gameplan, for every game, against every opposition. If it meant we starting throwing the ball around, then we should honestly start looking at a Kiwi coach.....

What ever happened to ''adapt or die''?

I'm still disappointed, but it was a fair result. We did not manage to put enough points on the scoreboard while we were dominating the game, and their try was not a matter luck, it was our mistake (sadly enough a couple of minutes later another Argentine kick got touched, though not blocked, from inside our 25s. We should learn from our mistakes).
A draw is a sad consolation price. I'm not happy, not happy at all.

What stood out for me was the spirit of the local supporters, was about festival atmosphere there and great to see.
The other 3 nations see too may rugby and thus has become a semi dull afair

Have a drink on yourselves Argentinians and Welsh have a drink for a good refereeing display (make it milk or Pepsi please...)

I'm still disappointed, but it was a fair result. We did not manage to put enough points on the scoreboard while we were dominating the game, and their try was not a matter luck, it was our mistake (sadly enough a couple of minutes later another Argentine kick got touched, though not blocked, from inside our 25s. We should learn from our mistakes).
A draw is a sad consolation price. I'm not happy, not happy at all.

Remember this game was all about pride, everything was new to this occasion and you did really well against a very poor Bok side on the day.
The novelty will wear off and you cannot forever bank only on home games, this after all is game one only.
Don't get too far ahead of yourselves, keep it real

The one time I decide not to put money on a draw..... WHY?!

Awful display of rugby by South Africa once again. Just like last week we were sh*t at the breakdown which cost us. End of story.

The one time I decide not to put money on a draw..... WHY?!

Awful display of rugby by South Africa once again. Just like last week we were sh*t at the breakdown which cost us. End of story.

I lost everything (vcash) on a Springbok win. Over 8k. My virtual kids aren't getting fed tonight. Ezeq bro, can you lend us some bro? You know I'm good for it bro! I have a system man!

What stood out for me was the spirit of the local supporters, was about festival atmosphere there and great to see.
True. As long as we can borrow that from football without adopting the hooligans too (likely scenario), it'll be great.

Remember this game was all about pride, everything was new to this occasion and you did really well against a very poor Bok side on the day.
The novelty will wear off and you cannot forever bank only on home games, this after all is game one only.
Don't get too far ahead of yourselves, keep it real
Precisely my point, it is about pride. We had you against the ropes, we were having a good day, you were not, we were locals, we had the momentum, and we still could not deliver that k.o blow.

Although i acknowledge we are arguably the weakest team in the championship, that does not mean i have to be happy about it! I am instinctively against celebrating a tie, but maybe that's just me.

Well, I don't find words, in english, to express how I fell... so, me quiero cortar la chota... go to google to translator...

Anyway, beeing honest, I think both teams, let's say nations aren't happy with the result... Maybe a draw before the game was a good result, then so close to victory defenitly wasn't at all, then the blooper but then SA could win it at the end... actually, me quiero cortar la chota....

P.d: We'll beat the aussies at home, remember this post.
Haha, I feel the same way, paisano. :D

I'm still mad that we were so close to a historic win and failed because of a stupid mistake, but still, I think a draw was an unexpected and it's a historic result as well. I wouldn't have imagined that we could deny the Boks a 4 try bonus point in our first outing at Newlands and then snatch a draw at our first home game against them. Had someone predicted this outcome, I would've called him overly optimistic. In my opinion the Pumas have done way better than expected, and that's really reassuring. Remember it's all about growth these first few years. Results are obviously welcomed, but shouldn't be expected. So cheer up, you and all the Pumas fans. ;)

BTW, thanks to Little Guy for his warm welcome. I'm pretty sure that many of us will stick around seeing the kindness of people like you.

Last edited:
Sadly, the latter seems more likely.

I have to agree. I'm getting sick of people like Bekker and Strauss and actually the whole pack of forwards standing in the backline thinking they're centres 'n sh*t and not doing their PRIMARY job by hitting the rucks! Maybe if they do that then HM won't have the freakin' breakdown problems he worries so much about!

I lost everything (vcash) on a Springbok win. Over 8k. My virtual kids aren't getting fed tonight. Ezeq bro, can you lend us some bro? You know I'm good for it bro! I have a system man!

Hah, I always leave a little left just in case.
I'll build my vDosh back up.
You, Nick, must pay what you owe. Eze's going to come around with a cricket bat to collect what he must ;)

Also. I'd like to extend a welcome to the numerous new Argentine fans on TRF. Great to have members joining in such a huge time for their side.

Last edited:

Latest posts