• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Ireland vs Wales - (05/02/2012 -15:00)

About what? People were allowed to lie in the way for too long, its true he was lax on that, but there were a ton of times when a player was on their feet competing for the ball and Barnes didn't call for holding on.

Referees been told to favour the attacking sides wherever possible at the breakdown.

It's rugby for crying out loud. Ferris' tackle was not a penalty, he sure dumped him but maintained his grip and made sure he went to ground safely. As much as I like Bradderz, his tackle was totally unacceptable, and im extremely relieved that it didn't hurt donnacha (sorry if i spelt it incorrectly). However, despite these, I still feel Wales would have won, and should have considering they had a disallowed try, missed 3/4 kicks ( and I know, it was their own fault).

Anyway Irish fans keep your heads up, and go and kick those frog eating surrender monkeys asses next week please.
Well bottom line is it's against the rules and when you are defending a 1 point lead in a danger zone you adapt a zero tolerance approach on risks.
And lads this is bull about Barnes. i'm not usually his biggest fan but he did a fine job and it was nice that the game had a bit of flow in it. He was fair I thought at the breakdown but more importantly he was extremely consistent and that is all teams ask.
And Peat you say why didn't Barnes ask Pearson why the sanction match the offense but some tip tackles only merit a yellow like Ferris's and when Barnes got the recommendation from Pearson he was right to accept that. He put his trust in his touch judge/assistant ref (as that is what Pearson is there to do) and accepted Pearson's call.

Get over it because the ref had nothing to do with this result.

Referees been told to favour the attacking sides wherever possible at the breakdown.

There's favouring the attacking side, and there's completely ignoring what the defending side is doing, which is what Barnes did. He was unusually lenient. Yes, he was consistent about it, but a ref's interpretations will always colour what sort of game is played. I offer that more as observation than criticism (although I don't particularly care for refs playing it that way).

Munstermuffin - the current sanctions say start at red and work your way back. What Pearson described was a red. Yes, the touch judge made his recommendation and its harsh to have a go at Barnes for accepting that, but he's meant to be an international rugby ref, so he's meant to be spot on - and therefore probably should have enquired. I have no idea whether it would have changed the game but if commenting on Barnes' performance it should be mentioned.

There's favouring the attacking side, and there's completely ignoring what the defending side is doing, which is what Barnes did. He was unusually lenient. Yes, he was consistent about it, but a ref's interpretations will always colour what sort of game is played. I offer that more as observation than criticism (although I don't particularly care for refs playing it that way).

Munstermuffin - the current sanctions say start at red and work your way back. What Pearson described was a red. Yes, the touch judge made his recommendation and its harsh to have a go at Barnes for accepting that, but he's meant to be an international rugby ref, so he's meant to be spot on - and therefore probably should have enquired. I have no idea whether it would have changed the game but if commenting on Barnes' performance it should be mentioned.
Well I disagree as I think he put trust in his assistant and well used him as he should have. He is a ref not a detective and shouldn't have to go digging for answers. If every incident like that involved investigation it'd waste time and undermine value of assistants - and Barnes or Pearson had no effect on result or game. Ireland lost this through their own mistakes and have noone to blame but themselve and have no excuse.

Ferris had an act of total stupidity and should never have risked the offense.
Paulie for not going to the corner and tying the Welsh in their own half.
Sexton for that awful effort.
The defense for allowing Welsh go effortlessly from 22 to 22.
There's no excuse/blame just simply we're not as good as we think we are at this level when we don't use players to strength.
It ok having 3 Worldclass backrows but simply 3 in to 2 doesn't go.
We seem to be 2/3 years behind other international teams in how we develop and adapt to current game.

It's rugby for crying out loud. Ferris' tackle was not a penalty, he sure dumped him but maintained his grip and made sure he went to ground safely. As much as I like Bradderz, his tackle was totally unacceptable, and im extremely relieved that it didn't hurt donnacha (sorry if i spelt it incorrectly). However, despite these, I still feel Wales would have won, and should have considering they had a disallowed try, missed 3/4 kicks ( and I know, it was their own fault).

Anyway Irish fans keep your heads up, and go and kick those frog eating surrender monkeys asses next week please.

I might be wrong about this but those surrender monkeys nearly won a world cup and beat you in the process. The reason why they got to the final in the first place is because they dug deep and never gave up on matches closing teams out.

The Ferris tackle was a penalty hence why you have not seen many people moaning about it. As you pointed out he dumped him and that is illegal.

All in all I think Barnes had a reasonable game, he did not see the red card so he can only act on the information he received at the time.

Last edited:
Ferris' tackle wasn't actually stupid I personally don't think it was a penalty but can see why one was given. The tackle itself was the type where if allowed would have been very easy to get a turnover from at the very least slowing Welsh momentum.

RoryBestIreWal12SB.jpg

Good post match player analysis from RTE:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnations/2012/0206/playerratings.html

Some quotes:
On why Ireland lost, "profligate defence allowed Wales to remain in the game."
"
Wales targeted the centres, where Ireland were passive in defence throughout and D'Arcy's tackling efforts in the lead-up to the second try by Davies and also on the line for North's were disappointing."
On Johnny Sexton, "
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Uncomfortable performance."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, we can still win the 6 Nations, albeit minus the triple crown. It's a frustrating start, and I hope to God that it doesn't affect the psyche of the players. I think we're a much better team than that. [/FONT]

When in doubt: resort to casual racism.

Did you read what I was replying too?

Here is the post in full.

t's rugby for crying out loud. Ferris' tackle was not a penalty, he sure dumped him but maintained his grip and made sure he went to ground safely. As much as I like Bradderz, his tackle was totally unacceptable, and im extremely relieved that it didn't hurt donnacha (sorry if i spelt it incorrectly). However, despite these, I still feel Wales would have won, and should have considering they had a disallowed try, missed 3/4 kicks ( and I know, it was their own fault).

So what I was pointing out was that this post was wrong and that I do not agree with it.

If you want to go around pointing the racist finger might I suggest that you look at the whole picture.

Here is m responce again to that post.

I might be wrong about this but those surrender monkeys nearly won a world cup and beat you in the process. The reason why they got to the final in the first place is because they dug deep and never gave up on matches closing teams out.

It seems that you have judged me without looking at the whole picture and to be honest I think that is pretty offensive in it's own right that you are so quick to judge and make sweeping statements.

Last edited:
No doubt...I was thinking the same thing.

Here is the post in full that I was replying too hence my sticking up for the French. It's not me being racist fella. Don't be so quick to judge people.

t's rugby for crying out loud. Ferris' tackle was not a penalty, he sure dumped him but maintained his grip and made sure he went to ground safely. As much as I like Bradderz, his tackle was totally unacceptable, and im extremely relieved that it didn't hurt donnacha (sorry if i spelt it incorrectly). However, despite these, I still feel Wales would have won, and should have considering they had a disallowed try, missed 3/4 kicks ( and I know, it was their own fault).

So what I was pointing out was that this post was wrong and that I do not agree with it.

If you want to go around pointing the racist finger might I suggest that you look at the whole picture.

Last edited:
Ferris' tackle wasn't actually stupid I personally don't think it was a penalty but can see why one was given. The tackle itself was the type where if allowed would have been very easy to get a turnover from at the very least slowing Welsh momentum.
But isn't it stupid to risk a result and cost your team??? Ok some are given but you don't risk it at a time/area like he did.

The Ferris tackle was probably a penalty by the letter of the law, but it really wasn't dangerous and imo was just a solid tackle. Physicality is important in rugby, and such tackles should not be viewed harshly. Ian Evans didn't land on his neck, just on his side, what's dangerous about that? I think Jonathan Davies (pundit) has the correct attitude here. Sometimes a good dump tackle is simply a good tackle, but I think pretty much every one is gonna result in a yellow/red card nowerdays. Bradley's was a blatant red card, Ferris was just a good hard tackle!

One other thing. I think ref's need to be told I think that when an attackling player clearly get's over the try line (as Ryan Jones did), if he needs to go up to the TMO, then the question should be 'is there any reason why I cannot award the try'. 8 times out of 10, Ryan Jones get's that ball down, and the benefit of the doubt should be given to the attacking player. Before the times of video ref's that would have been a try every single time. The TMO made the correct decision based on the question asked by ref, but if the ref asled the correct question, a try would have been given, and correctly imo. It wasn't a big problem in this game, because we scored afterwards anyway, but in future ref's need to stop copping out.

Here is the post in full.

Here is m responce again to that post.

It seems that you have judged me without looking at the whole picture and to be honest I think that is pretty offensive in it's own right that you are so quick to judge and make sweeping statements.

Woah woah woah, I was agreeing with you!
I was saying the guy who originally said it was being casually racist, it's pretty darned obvious that you were just quoting what he was saying to show that he was wrong.

The Ferris tackle was probably a penalty by the letter of the law, but it really wasn't dangerous and imo was just a solid tackle. Physicality is important in rugby, and such tackles should not be viewed harshly. Ian Evans didn't land on his neck, just on his side, what's dangerous about that? I think Jonathan Davies (pundit) has the correct attitude here. Sometimes a good dump tackle is simply a good tackle, but I think pretty much every one is gonna result in a yellow/red card nowerdays. Bradley's was a blatant red card, Ferris was just a good hard tackle!

One other thing. I think ref's need to be told I think that when an attackling player clearly get's over the try line (as Ryan Jones did), if he needs to go up to the TMO, then the question should be 'is there any reason why I cannot award the try'. 8 times out of 10, Ryan Jones get's that ball down, and the benefit of the doubt should be given to the attacking player. Before the times of video ref's that would have been a try every single time. The TMO made the correct decision based on the question asked by ref, but if the ref asled the correct question, a try would have been given, and correctly imo. It wasn't a big problem in this game, because we scored afterwards anyway, but in future ref's need to stop copping out.
Can accept that but that argument is a seperate issue like in the match Ferris should've known it's a borderline risk and shouldn't have taken the chance. Now I don't blame Ferris for the loss as there was alot more with him but the dump tackle is a very hot topic at moment and well players are getting pinged easily for it at moment so you have to be extremely careful.

Can accept that but that argument is a seperate issue like in the match Ferris should've known it's a borderline risk and shouldn't have taken the chance. Now I don't blame Ferris for the loss as there was alot more with him but the dump tackle is a very hot topic at moment and well players are getting pinged easily for it at moment so you have to be extremely careful.

Possibly. However Wales were making ground every phase. Ireland needed a big tackle to push Wales back and try to jackle the ball. I don't think Irish fans should blame Ferris.

Edit. Haven't we got our roles reversed here!

What a game in Dublin, i do think Waled deserved to win and a massive win at that, I really do think Wales will win the 6 nations as well!

Last edited:
Woah woah woah, I was agreeing with you!
I was saying the guy who originally said it was being casually racist, it's pretty darned obvious that you were just quoting what he was saying to show that he was wrong.

I sincerely apologize then mate. It just looked to me as if you were pointing out what I said and not the other post. Again If I have the wrong end of the stick I apologize.

Possibly. However Wales were making ground every phase. Ireland needed a big tackle to push Wales back and try to jackle the ball. I don't think Irish fans should blame Ferris.

Edit. Haven't we got our roles reversed here!
As I said I don't blame Ferris but just take man and ball and try tie player up and maybe win a scrum but you have to be careful. But look this game wasn't just lost on that penalty there were a lot of issues and had Halfpenny been kicking from the start Wales would've been out of sight

I think he played very well, better than I've ever seen Paul James play, and to be honest I don't think we missed Geth massively. (Though I would still pick Geth ahead of him)

Latest posts