• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - France vs Ireland - 04/02/2012, 15:00

I'm extremely weary of Conor Murray. i jumped on the bandwagon around the world cup because I was excited to see a youngish Irish scrumhalf performing fairly well. I think everyone was, including Kidney. I'm now starting to question his ability. I don't think it's a case of him upping his game. In reality I don't think his game can be upped. He's a slow distributor. And that's not because he takes 2 steps like everybody keeps saying (loadsa talented scrumhalves do this) or because he had to play Italy before they were tired like Thornley suggests. he's a slow distributor because he's got a poor rugby brain. He hasn't a clue what's going on around him whenever he's at the base of a ruck so he always takes at least 5 seconds to look around. You look at scrumhalves like Genia, Parra or even Reddan when they're at the base of a ruck. They know exactly what they're gonna do before they've even gotten there. Reddan barely had to look over his shoulder before passing when he came on. If you have a scrumhalf who has to take a few seconds to consider his options before making a decision you'll never get good go forward momentum. I worry Murray doesn't have the natural ability to ever really be international standard.

While this makes sense...he was making the right decisions before his run of poorish form, therefore he is capable of making the correct decisions again. But he needs to get proving that quickly...and stops doing his box-kick O'Leary impression with written notification to opposing team of pending box-kick.

Could be worse though...could actually be Box-Kick O'Leary

4451853618_a9048125f2_z.jpg

While this makes sense...he was making the right decisions before his run of poorish form, therefore he is capable of making the correct decisions again. But he needs to get proving that quickly...and stops doing his box-kick O'Leary impression with written notification to opposing team of pending box-kick.

Could be worse though...could actually be Box-Kick O'Leary

View attachment 1658

One must ask what they're doing to scrum halfs down south. Promising young scrum half coming through, looks decent internationally, then starts to fade rapidly. Am I talking about Murray or O'Leary? I'm not even sure I know.

One must ask what they're doing to scrum halfs down south. Promising young scrum half coming through, looks decent internationally, then starts to fade rapidly. Am I talking about Murray or O'Leary? I'm not even sure I know.

In fairness to Murray, it's not exactly a long run of shite matches from him. He was playing well enough for Munster it's just a couple of bad games in green.

There is certainly a trend of Munster scrum halfs getting better when they leave...Reddan and Frank Murphy notably.

In fairness to Murray, it's not exactly a long run of shite matches from him. He was playing well enough for Munster it's just a couple of bad games in green.

There is certainly a trend of Munster scrum halfs getting better when they leave...Reddan and Frank Murphy notably.

Well yeah, I kind of knew I was jumping the gun with Murray. He could do with having a food look at his game though, there's an awful lot of room for improvement. Perhaps he got into the squad a bit too easily?

I get the impression someone told Murray that he's like Mike Phillips, a big boy who could break and disrupt the fringes. Pundits make the comparison enough anyway.

This ignores the fact that

a) What Phillips does isn't always a brilliant idea, and nobody would dream of putting up as one of the best in the world
b) Mike Phillips could probably have had a half-decent career as a flanker, he is built for it. There are plenty of back-rows at my London South East Division 3 club bigger than Murray. So no, not really.

I think someone's told O'Leary the same thing as well, with the added problem that we've got back-rows that are better passers than O'Leary at my club too. I was going to say at least O'Leary's big enough, but according to his stats he's even smaller than Murray!

Anyway, that's my guess. I reckon Munster should either tell their scrum-halfs to emulate Stringer, or just play Zebo there.

Last edited:
Philips has 20kg on Murray. If Murray wants to play the same game as Philips he's either got to bulk up or accept that he's not going to be as effective.

Philips has 20kg on Murray. If Murray wants to play the same game as Philips he's either got to bulk up or accept that he's not going to be as effective.

Quite. Concentrating on passing the ball quickly instead might be a winner.

Then again, then might get him dropped...

I'm happy with this starting XV, they needed to let Szarzewski start to give him a confidence boost. He's a very talented player but constantly living in Servat's shadow puts an added pressure on the poor guy, he tries too hard and makes mistakes. Servat will be coaching Toulouse next year so France needs to invest in they're future hooker. On the plus side Servat on the bench will be handy at the end of the game where there will probably be more scrum time!
Bonnaire starting at 7 is a definate improvement! I think he's an exellent player and he was outstanding in the world cup! His international carier comes to an end after this 6 nations so I wish him all the best and hope he goes out with a Bang! or possibly even a Slam! ^_^
Picamoles on the bench will bring alot of power and intensity at the end of the match and Nallet will bring power and experience.
I really really want Poitrenaud to do well!! I've always liked him and think he has the potencial to become a great international full back.
All in all this is a great French side and they will be very very hard to beat at home! Good luck Ireland, you'r going to need it! ;)

Murray is rubbish, Reddan should be preferred as first choice, I would even go as far to say that Boss, Marshall or O'Leary would be better bench options as well

I really really want Poitrenaud to do well!! I've always liked him and think he has the potencial to become a great international full back.

Poitrenaud, cough cough...sorry.
Isn't he the guy that costed us our place in final against the Springboks in 2007....:huh:
We should buy him some gloves covered with super glue.

Poitrenaud, cough cough...sorry.
Isn't he the guy that costed us our place in final against the Springboks in 2007....:huh:
We should buy him some gloves covered with super glue.

1 Mistake, 5 years ago. Right...

BTW: Lewsey > All. No shame for Poitrenaud losing that one off.

I totally agree. I'm sure if we dug deep enough we could find mistakes made by every player in the world. Let's just hope he's improved in the last 5 years ey? :rolleyes:

Murray might not be amazing but I still wish his step had counted against Australia. Left rooted to the spot!

I'm happy with this starting XV, they needed to let Szarzewski start to give him a confidence boost. He's a very talented player but constantly living in Servat's shadow puts an added pressure on the poor guy, he tries too hard and makes mistakes. Servat will be coaching Toulouse next year so France needs to invest in they're future hooker. On the plus side Servat on the bench will be handy at the end of the game where there will probably be more scrum time!
Bonnaire starting at 7 is a definate improvement! I think he's an exellent player and he was outstanding in the world cup! His international carier comes to an end after this 6 nations so I wish him all the best and hope he goes out with a Bang! or possibly even a Slam! ^_^
Picamoles on the bench will bring alot of power and intensity at the end of the match and Nallet will bring power and experience.
All in all this is a great French side and they will be very very hard to beat at home! Good luck Ireland, you'r going to need it! ;)

ummm

Errr....I pointed out the mistake, but he spends his time doing stupid runs far from his forwards and finds himself isolated or release the ball when not appropriate...
If he has never be first choice in french squad for years there's a reason...

Errr....I pointed out the mistake, but he spends his time doing stupid runs far from his forwards and finds himself isolated or release the ball when not appropriate...
If he has never be first choice in french squad for years there's a reason...

Yeah but like Clerc he seems to leave his best performances for the Irish.

There was also that almighty blunder that handed the heineken cup final to Wasps...

Latest posts