• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Paris Olympics 2024

Team GB exactly where they want to be in the Women's team pursuit.
I don't know why, but it's exactly what they wanted - basing that on the instructions the coach was giving the riders, rather than what the commentators were saying. He never showed them a red board, and I only saw number between -0.2 and ±0.
Of course, there's a good chance that that's sticking with the plan despite having been punched in the face by NZ.
But equally may be that they know exactly how fast they can go, when required to go again; and that trying to beat that time would hamstring them later.

I don't know why, but it's exactly what they wanted - basing that on the instructions the coach was giving the riders, rather than what the commentators were saying. He never showed them a red board, and I only saw number between -0.2 and ±0.
Of course, there's a good chance that that's sticking with the plan despite having been punched in the face by NZ.
But equally may be that they know exactly how fast they can go, when required to go again; and that trying to beat that time would hamstring them later.
They knew they just had to go faster than Italy to advance. And Italy were so far off the pace they had a lot of wiggle room.

They're up against the US next, maybe that's the target

Have spent the day watching show jumping and track cycling which are definitely up there as the top two least accessible sports in the Olympics. Track and boxing on the agenda for the eve so one extreme to the other.

Still much prefer week 1 of the games, swimming and rowing >>>

Although I'm now mildly obsessed with the Lisan al gaib of pole vaulting so that's something at least.

A track bike costs $500 and most velodromes are free to practice in (USA at least).

Now the bikes they use cost like $60000 but no one buy them needs it.

Would to try and do a few laps in a velodrome on one of the Olympic level track bikes - bet they're near impossible to move for us mere mortals

A track bike costs $500 and most velodromes are free to practice in (USA at least).

Now the bikes they use cost like $60000 but no one buy them needs it.
Most countries don't have velodromes. Apparently only 37 have indoor ones and I'd say within that selection, where you're from within those countries plays a big factor to accessibility too.

So, a not insignificant cost and location requirements. Similar to equestrian, sailing, fencing for most people.

Would to try and do a few laps in a velodrome on one of the Olympic level track bikes - bet they're near impossible to move for us mere mortals
After I help finished building the BMX track for 2012 they let us in velodrome to have a look as a reward. I really can't emphasise enough how steep the banking is. I'd fall off by just producing enough forward momentum.

After I help finished building the BMX track for 2012 they let us in velodrome to have a look as a reward. I really can't emphasise enough how steep the banking is. I'd fall off by just producing enough forward momentum.
I remember an old top gear where Hammond was driving an F1 car and was saying that he couldn't drive it fast enough to be safe because you need to be going a certain speed for the steering/brakes to work - imagine it's the same situation, when they show the slowmos the cyclists are almost horizontal on the corner

Latest posts