• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand vs England (06/07/24)

Yeah, good side - disappointing to see Roebuck drop out but he was always going to be behind Sleightholme realistically

Gonna be a really interesting game, i do think we'll go 0-2, but depends how cold we catch the ABs this weekend, it's been a long time since their last game, and they've not had that long together since the end of SR

Baxter and Ollie Sleightholme with a baptism of fire.

Happy with this squad and looking forward to the match ups.
Yeah. I like the team but a little odd to have played Rodd and had Roebuck on the bench for Japan. Would have made more sense to have had Baxter and Sleightholme involved then. Still, continuity on the whole is very good to see.

I also feel a little sorry for Randall after a decent cameo in Japan.

Yeah, good side - disappointing to see Roebuck drop out but he was always going to be behind Sleightholme realistically

Gonna be a really interesting game, i do think we'll go 0-2, but depends how cold we catch the ABs this weekend, it's been a long time since their last game, and they've not had that long together since the end of SR
I think it could be 1-1.

The new coach buzz of Razor will be a factor, but the NZ side is going to have a good 5 or 6 changes from the RWC final which might take time to bed in.

Disappointingly logical and consistent team. Where's the drama and controversy?

Good to see Baxter and Sleightholme involved. Only minor question might be why Baxter wasn't involved against Japan, maybe there was a small ****le somewhere.

Dan's been getting increased game time. Interesting to see if that continues, can't help feeling that as soon as there is confidence in his arrows then he'll take the shirt from George. George is 34 in October and while he's going OK, he's not doing a Lawes and getting notably better with age. Also a shame that Langdon's missed out.

Smith played 12 alongside Ford during the world cup I'm pretty sure, lol

I would probably guess at Furbank, despite not playing there before, though IFW could do a good job as a crashball centre

Yeah you'd imagine someone has been training to defend in those centre channels

1719908763885.png

Smith played 12 alongside Ford during the world cup I'm pretty sure, lol

I would probably guess at Furbank, despite not playing there before, though IFW could do a good job as a crashball centre
I thought Smith came on at 15 for steward in the one game he didn't replace Ford?

I thought Smith came on at 15 for steward in the one game he didn't replace Ford?
Maybe 6N then? Or warm-ups?
I'm sure I remember him going to 12

Edit: vs Ireland in the Summer Series, came on for Watson and Marchant shifted to wing
tbf with Daly, Marchant and Smith all in that backline I imagine no one really stuck to one position and everyone went everywhere

Maybe 6N then? Or warm-ups?
I'm sure I remember him going to 12

Edit: vs Ireland in the Summer Series, came on for Watson and Marchant shifted to wing
tbf with Daly, Marchant and Smith all in that backline I imagine no one really stuck to one position and everyone went everywhere
It happened in EJ's last Six Nations against Italy. Finished the game with 10. Ford 12. Smith 13. Slade.

latest gossip is Clarke now out for both tests and Scott Barrett also doubtful for at least the first

Could be an interesting one this with New Zealand having (for them) a significant turnover of players since the RWC - coupled with a new (excellent) coach. I expect England to, at the very least, keep the margin to under 10 points. However, if we start well, I definitely think a win is a live possibility - which has not been the case in NZ since 2003.

Last edited:
Could be an interesting one this with New Zealand having (for them) a significant turnover of players since the RWC - coupled with a new (excellent) coach. I expect England to, at the very least, keep the margin to under 10 points. However, if we start well, I definitely think a win is a live possibility - which has not been the case in NZ since 2003.

A win would be a statement result, doubly so in the 2nd game at Fortress Eden Park. These aren't 2015 vintage ABs, but results down there are never easy.

Achilles heel might be the bench - Cole won't up the pace, 5 have 5 caps or less, Dan's 13 caps probably equate to less than 3 full games and Curry's had precious little game time.

I also feel a little sorry for Randall after a decent cameo in Japan.
Talk around Bristol is that Randall was capped v Japan to block him playing for Wales as Randall only had a year or less before becoming available to switch country under the newer rules.

I think that's plausible but his international involvement (or lack thereof) over the next year will show how close to the mark that is.

Latest posts