• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand vs England (06/07/24)

Didn't Randall qualify for Wales on residency so wouldn't be able to switch?
Or does residency accrued as a kid make you eligible to switch as an adult?

A win would be a statement result, doubly so in the 2nd game at Fortress Eden Park. These aren't 2015 vintage ABs, but results down there are never easy.

Achilles heel might be the bench - Cole won't up the pace, 5 have 5 caps or less, Dan's 13 caps probably equate to less than 3 full games and Curry's had precious little game time.
I wouldn't think Curry's lack of game time is an issue, he has proved to be one of those players that just hit the ground running, believe he was training very well before being able to play again so fitness should not be an issue, quite honestly I think he's the least of the potential problem areas.

Or does residency accrued as a kid make you eligible to switch as an adult?
As he qualified for Wales whilst living and playing in England before his first England cap, I would guess he still qualifies for Wales. Is there a maximum amount of years out of country rule? I haven't seen one.

As he qualified for Wales whilst living and playing in England before his first England cap, I would guess he still qualifies for Wales. Is there a maximum amount of years out of country rule? I haven't seen one.
Just had a quick look at the eligibility rules and guessing this is what kept him qualified after he left:
(d) the Player has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing.
but don't think that's enough to swap nation after being capped, it needs to be via "birthright", which is:
(a) the Player was born;

(b) one parent or grandparent was born;

I wouldn't think Curry's lack of game time is an issue, he has proved to be one of those players that just hit the ground running, believe he was training very well before being able to play again so fitness should not be an issue, quite honestly I think he's the least of the potential problem areas.

Oh agreed, although I suspect we're still more likely to get 97% Curry than 100% (match sharpness rather than fitness). Still very very good, but he's fresh and if SB genuinely thought he was at full throttle I suspect he'd be starting one way or another. I think SB's got this right and a good show of faith in CCS.

but don't think that's enough to swap nation after being capped, it needs to be via "birthright", which is:
Agreed, from what I can see under the birthright rules. What about the Olympic method if Randall applies or has Welsh citizenship? Be weird as it's GB though? No idea how that works out.

Seems a bit mental that someone who has lived half their life in a country doesn't qualify (13/26), would think that would be open to challenge but probably not worth it.

Reckon we could move this to looking like debunked.

Spencer won't be around too much longer on account of age and other than JvP, there aren't too many major contenders for scrum half places waiting in the wings. Randall is a good player and can do a job for England as high temp back up to Mitchell. JvP might be seen as more of a kicking 9 like Spencer.

Sounds brilliant and credit to all concerned.

But I do get nervous reading miracle stories like that. Let's hope Curry's properly fixed for the long term.
Definitely, expectations should be tempered. But an amazing recovery. I've compared to Murray, who is on the verge of retiring. He got back to around 33 in the rankings post op, and won a 500 ranking event IIRC. But different operation - Murray had a new metal hip inserted.

Spencer won't be around too much longer on account of age and other than JvP, there aren't too many major contenders for scrum half places waiting in the wings. Randall is a good player and can do a job for England as high temp back up to Mitchell. JvP might be seen as more of a kicking 9 like Spencer.
Gus McWarr hasn't been capped (yet :()

No doubt Quirke will still be bandied about too but I think Warr should be in front. What about Porter now he plays for one of the chosen clubs?

Post on the rugby union sub-Reddit from a South African:

"England are generally very good, but occasionally they become inexplicably invincible"

I've no idea if that's an accurate description from an opposing fan's view, but it does FEEL true to me.

Immediately followed by England fans reminding everyone how inexplicably bad they often are too, etc, of course.

"Generally very good" seems generous depending on the definition of very good. To me top 4 is very good, and only NZ and SA have been consistently (or generally) in the top 4.

I get the invincible comment, England have days where they play way beyond their average level a bit more than most teams. Up to interpretation whether this is good or bad.

I think NZ will get a short term razor boost for this tour and win 2-0 but in other circumstances I'd probably back the 1-1.

Perofeta starting over BB the closes thing to a surprise, more or less full strength

c=JI4EQEG1NbsQ7kNvgF9C1uE&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel12-1.jpg

bb being on the bench could be do with the fact for a long part of the japan season he did have strapping on a knee so may not be quite at full fitness for a full 80 min game at international level just yet.

Latest posts