• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Natwest 6 Nations] Round 3 : Scotland Vs England 24/02/2018 16:45

Again, you're wrong. Last week Wales were on the wrong side of the TMO, not the ref. In fact, the ref favoured Wales.

Sigh...and this is the nitpicking which makes things worse. TMO/ref although different is still the officials making a decision and it still doesn't change the fact that both losing sides admitted it wouldn't have changed the outcome. However we were critical of Welsh fans for highlighting it, yet we feel we should be allowed to highlight Owen's mistakes even though we still would have and should have lost.

Sigh...and this is the nitpicking which makes things worse. TMO/ref although different is still the officials making a decision and it still doesn't change the fact that both losing sides admitted it wouldn't have changed the outcome. However we were critical of Welsh fans for highlighting it, yet we feel we should be allowed to highlight Owen's mistakes even though we still would have and should have lost.
TMO and ref aren't the same, you're constantly generalising to shape your opinion and argument.

I think the major difference is between Wales match and this one is there was only 1 'bad call in the Wales match. In this one there were several really bad calls.

Just imagine how good the Lions would play in South Africa with Townsend as head coach. Former Lion himself, tactically astute, loves to play intelligent attacking rugby. Maybe Eddie or Warren as one of his assistants? :D

I agree with those points, and I do think Owens hasn't been as good as previously. However my issue is that it wouldn't change the game, and especially after last week when the shoe was on the other foot against Wales, it does make us look very hypocritical and poor losers. Luckily there wasn't one big incident that England can call World Rugby up about and then distract the press with, unlike Howler did.

So you have an issue with... What everyone is explicitly not saying.
You even quote Ncurd saying "I don't think we lost because of Owens" and complain about him posting because "it wouldn't change the game".
You are, quite literally, making the same point that you complain about others making.

So far as I've seen, not one English poster has blamed the loss on Owens; but I have seen a hell of a lot of complaints that English posters are blaming the loss on Owens, and you are objecting about it by quoting someone saying the precise opposite

Just imagine how good the Lions would play in South Africa with Townsend as head coach. Former Lion himself, tactically astute, loves to play intelligent attacking rugby. Maybe Eddie or Joe as one of his assistants? :D

We'd get battered in the first game though ;)

TMO and ref aren't the same, you're constantly generalising to shape your opinion and argument.

That's debatable, both are officials who affect the game, though one has more impact than the other (again debatable). I think my biggest issue is that last week when the Welsh fans criticised the TMO's decision we English fans were quick to highlight how it wouldn't have changed the game and was almost irrelevant, and yet when we bring up Owen's performance this week, despite not changing the game many here feel they have the right to criticise. It is pure hypocrisy and I'm disappointed.

Just imagine how good the Lions would play in South Africa with Townsend as head coach. Former Lion himself, tactically astute, loves to play intelligent attacking rugby. Maybe Eddie or Warren as one of his assistants? :D
Just imagine what would have happened in NZ had Townsend been slected as attacking coach instead of Howley...

I'm all up for Townsend as coach in SA but currently SA are so bad we'd even win with Howley...

Ugh. Scotland good value for the win, absolutely. For everything england were **** at, it was also because scotland were good at and if you look at their gameplan and how they closed us down everywhere, it was clearly well planned. Owens wasn't the reason we lost, but being as honest as possible I can't rule out the possibility that we would have found a way to win had he not been such a dick. I say that because I do think we are still a significantly better side than Scotland. But that doesn't change the fact that we didn lose because of him per se.

On Owens, I do think the only reason people rate him is that he blows his whistle more than any ref, inlcuding Barnes, looks confident whilst doing so, and also gives those soundbites. He's no better a ref for those things.

Didn't think Owens was great for either team tbh. There's a herd mentality here because there's no Scots posting for balance but there were decisions going against them too from what i saw. Did the home team get the rub overall? Yeah probably but you should be expecting that if you know Owens.

A couple of examples.....
-Underhills penalty was won with Vunipola lying all over the ball preventing the contest.
-As is his wont Owens completely ignored the offside line with England. Itoje crept up the entire game.
-As the game wore on the English players were diving in off their on the cleanout. They got desperate and they mostly got away with it.

I found it amusing that guscott predicted England by at least 15 and Finn Russell would have a shocker - best pass of the tournament - Russell take a bow son!

Didn't think Owens was great for either team tbh. There's a herd mentality here because there's no Scots posting for balance but there were decisions going against them too from what i saw. Did the home team get the rub overall? Yeah probably but you should be expecting that if you know Owens.

-Underhills penalty was won with Vunipola lying all over the ball preventing the contest.
-As is his wont Owens completely ignored the offside line with England. Itoje crept up the entire game.
-As the game wore on the English players were diving in off their on the cleanout. They got desperate and they mostly got away with it.

Well the last point is rubbish ! I didn't see us clear a ruck all game !

Things got messy at the end and I agree we could have conceded more late game penalties. Why play completely to the law when you're chasing the game? It was, partially, some earlier decisions which got us to that position of desperation.

Also, did anyone else notice that the first "ruck" happened in the 77th minute? I.e, the first time in the whole game when Owens say it's a ruck, hands out...

Where was that before Nige??

Latest posts