• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mealamu Signs on with NZRU

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Mealamu has signed on until 2014 with a proivision to extend to the 2015 RWC.

In my books this guy is an absolute legend. Not the best hooker to have ever played the game but certainly on of the first guys I would have in my squad.

Speaks volumes about the man that he has decided to play out his career in NZ instead of taking the $ overseas!!

105 test caps and counting, the most capped NZ Super Rugby player, a consummate professional, a good team man, all the experience in the world to pass on to the young fullahs coming through, super nice guy, clinical on the field, gives everything he has got AND he does illustrations for children's books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Kev. He's a great bloke (despite those overseas thinking otherwise). Always part of the community, he's got this reading programme that he goes out to school time to time to read to kids.

Would not be butthurt (though I'd be sad) if he did decide to cash in though - he's done his time/service, and deserves the moolah should he chase it.

Love Kev. He's a great bloke (despite those overseas thinking otherwise). Always part of the community, he's got this reading programme that he goes out to school time to time to read to kids.

Would not be butthurt (though I'd be sad) if he did decide to cash in though - he's done his time/service, and deserves the moolah should he chase it.

You get the feeling that the tradeoff between friends/family/NZ vs extra money is one he really doesnt care to even consider. To be fair he's not going to have to worry about cash is he regardlesss.

Perhaps because he knows NZ are having trouble with finding a consistent new hooker and he has decided to stay on as he knows he'll get game-time.

great man, great player. Probably lucky to still be in the squad but at his best he was fricken awesome.

one of the genuine good guys of world rugby without question.

.........there but for the grace of God..............

Always assumed he would sign a new contract, cause New Zealand need him and Hore at the minute. Hopefully next year he will get an injury free super rugby season and have a good year with the Blues. Good player and good man, I've nearly forgiven him for what he did to BOD.

Perhaps because he knows NZ are having trouble with finding a consistent new hooker and he has decided to stay on as he knows he'll get game-time.

I would argue that the main reasons are the ones I highlighted above BUT I agree with you to the extent that he is a very valuable source of knowledge and experience to mentor the young guys like Coltman & Coles coming through and the ABs will certainly want to keep him of, if not for that alone. I'm not sure how much game time Kevin will see in an AB jumper from now on though....

I would argue that the main reasons are the ones I highlighted above BUT I agree with you to the extent that he is a very valuable source of knowledge and experience to mentor the young guys like Coltman & Coles coming through and the ABs will certainly want to keep him of, if not for that alone. I'm not sure how much game time Kevin will see in an AB jumper from now on though....

Watched Kevin play against BOP yesterday, He was sloppy and made lots of mistake. Dont think he will make it to a ABs jersey again.

Watched Kevin play against BOP yesterday, He was sloppy and made lots of mistake. Dont think he will make it to a ABs jersey again.

Some how I think he'll make it for the next test...