TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Meyer-to-stay-Bok-coach-until-2019-20150812

The South African Rugby Union (SARU) has reportedly agreed to extend Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer's contract.

Local media reports on Wednesday indicated that Meyer’s contract has already been extended by another four years until after the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

I hope this materializes. Because as the article says:

Only Kitch Christie (100%), Nick Mallett (71%) and Jake White (66%) achieved greater success at the helm of the Boks.

And to be honest, I don't think we have other coaches that will be able to do a better job ATM than HM.

He will have a heart attack before 2019 unless he relaxes during a game a bit more!!!!

Meyer should've been Bok coach 2007->2011. He's done alright and its been tough because he has essentially had to start from scrtach as PdV did little more than ride the team Jake White built. So, for that reason alone I wouldn't begrudge him another tenure though I want another backs coach. In other words it would be sad for Meyer if he couldn't take this young team he has built into their maturity.

His donr pretty poorly the last while but I don't think everyone always appreciates the situation we are in with a ridicuous amount of our best out injured.

Meyer should've been Bok coach 2007->2011. He's done alright and its been tough because he has essentially had to start from scrtach as PdV did little more than ride the team Jake White built. So, for that reason alone I wouldn't begrudge him another tenure though I want another backs coach. In other words it would be sad for Meyer if he couldn't take this young team he has built into their maturity.

His donr pretty poorly the last while but I don't think everyone always appreciates the situation we are in with a ridicuous amount of our best out injured.

Yup. I also think it's time that Ricardo steps down as backline coach. The question is though, who will take his place?? I see Carlos Spencer is now a Supersport pundit, maybe he can assist??

Two reasons why HM deserves to stay on for 4 more years:
- He has blooded so many youngsters he deserves to see them evolve as players and cement their spots on the team, players like Etzebeth, de Jager, PsdT, Coetze, Pollard, DdA, Kriel could form the back bone of a great team if they get some continuity.
- There are no other candidates. Quite literally all of the incumbent Super Rugby coaches are rubbish with the exception of Johan Ackerman who is to inexperienced, a foreigner might be better and I would also accept Nick Mallet but otherwise I'm happy he gets another four years.

As disappointed as I have been with the team lately, we have shown more development in terms of our play style than we have under a lot of other coaches, despite everyone saying HM hasn't changed our game plan at all he is MILES ahead of Frans Ludeke, Jake White and Allister Coetzee.

Two reasons why HM deserves to stay on for 4 more years:
- He has blooded so many youngsters he deserves to see them evolve as players and cement their spots on the team, players like Etzebeth, de Jager, PsdT, Coetze, Pollard, DdA, Kriel could form the back bone of a great team if they get some continuity.
- There are no other candidates. Quite literally all of the incumbent Super Rugby coaches are rubbish with the exception of Johan Ackerman who is to inexperienced, a foreigner might be better and I would also accept Nick Mallet but otherwise I'm happy he gets another four years.

As disappointed as I have been with the team lately, we have shown more development in terms of our play style than we have under a lot of other coaches, despite everyone saying HM hasn't changed our game plan at all he is MILES ahead of Frans Ludeke, Jake White and Allister Coetzee.

+1!

And we all know it's highly unlikely that we will appoint a foreigner to take charge of the Bokke. There will be a massive outcry if that happens, it would be worse than if they would re-appoint PDV.

I think the new group of coaches needs about 2-3 more years to develop before even being considered for the job. And as for Nick Mallett. I don't think he'll do a better job. He has been out of the coaching role for more than 5 years now, and he seems all too comfortable on the Supersport couch.

Great for SA. But I find it hard to believe there wont be atleast a couple of back stabbing attempts in the next few years. Just going off previous SARFU history.

Latest posts