International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
NZRU makes offer to Sonny Bill Williams

11th August 2013 08:50

The New Zealand Rugby Union revealed it has made an offer to code hopper Sonny Bill Williams to return to Super Rugby champions the Chiefs next year.

According to New Zealand media reports the NZRU has offered Williams a three-year deal which would see him return to rugby union next season and extend his 19-test All Blacks career.

Chief executive Steve Tew confirmed the union had made the offer, saying "the dialogue has been positive but we don't have any ink on paper."

Williams switched from rugby league to rugby union in 2008 and became an All Black in 2010. He returned to rugby league earlier this year, playing for the Sydney Roosters.

The 28-year-old has made no secret that he prefers a return to the Hamilton-based Chiefs once he meets his NRL commitments in a bid to be part of the All Blacks squad that defends their ***le at the 2015 World Cup.

Williams has also been linked with a spot in New Zealand's Sevens squad for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8865473,00.html

would rather they put the time and money into developing some young up and comer than throw it at SBW. there are several pretty obvious reasons

Rather SBW than Benji Marshall though at least SBW is a proven international level player. It would be great to have him for the next 3 years while the guys like Saili and Emery develop.

as far as money goes you have to consider that big names like SBW and Benji put bums on seats and Crete interest and sponsorship opportunities. So it's not like it's money wasted, they are an investment that will likely create streams of revenue

money money money mohhh-nehhh.....MAAAAAAHNEHHH !!

Rugby is a professional game. Get over it!

would rather they put the time and money into developing some young up and comer than throw it at SBW. there are several pretty obvious reasons

Of course, you can always do both.

The NZRU spends heaps of money propping up a competition that loses money hand over fist; its called the ITM Cup.

As I have stated elsewhere, they do this because they understand its vital importance to the future of New Zealand rugby.

This where SARU (Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup) and the NZRU (ITM Cup) succeed and the ARU fails. They had a national championship (the ARC) and they never gave it a chance. They killed it after one year because it cost too much. A famous Sci-fi writer had a name for this... is called "failure of the imagination"

Last edited:
I don't particularly like SBW - but if he commited to a three year deal starting from next season, then I guessI couldn't complain. If its a two year deal from 2015-2016 though I'm ganna be ******.

Rugby is a professional game. Get over it!

Of course, you can always do both.

The NZRU spends heaps of money propping up a competition that loses money hand over fist; its called the ITM Cup.

As I have stated elsewhere, they do this because they understand its vital importance to the future of New Zealand rugby.

This where SARU (Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup) and the NZRU (ITM Cup) succeed and the ARU fails. They had a national championship (the ARC) and they never gave it a chance. They killed it after one year because it cost too much. A famous Sci-fi writer had a name for this... is called "failure of the imagination"

I guess thats the point though, they have this breading ground of talent they are spending a fortune on only to spend more money buying in guys that go more or less straight into the AB's

I guess thats the point though, they have this breading ground of talent they are spending a fortune on only to spend more money buying in guys that go more or less straight into the AB's

Well its not just a two pronged approach, its three pronged

1. Club Rugby to ITM Cup
2. Schoolboy Rugby to Age-Grade tournaments
3. Talent identification outside of NZ rugby

I see no reason why the NZRU should put all their eggs in the single basket of the ITM Cup. IMO, it would be a big mistake on their part to limit their options in the current professional environment; essentially they should be looking for rugby playing talent wherever it might be.

Well its not just a two pronged approach, its three pronged

1. Club Rugby to ITM Cup
2. Schoolboy Rugby to Age-Grade tournaments
3. Talent identification outside of NZ rugby

I see no reason why the NZRU should put all their eggs in the single basket of the ITM Cup. IMO, it would be a big mistake on their part to limit their options in the current professional environment; essentially they should be looking for rugby playing talent wherever it might be.

and when SBW first came over to union he was what? 24? you could see that investing in him then could pay off long term, if he cambe back next year he will be 29ish PLUS a flight risk.

Im not saying dont look out for these guys overseas...just in this case i think we would be better aiming at the long term future rather than risk them loosing hope in making the AB's and heading over seas or to league etc

I don't particularly like SBW - but if he commited to a three year deal starting from next season, then I guessI couldn't complain. If its a two year deal from 2015-2016 though I'm ganna be ******.

Why? We get a great player for the world cup and the year after.. obviously he will be wanting to go play 7s in the Olympics if it is for 2016. He might be pretty good at 7s, it'll be interesting to see anyway.

Why? We get a great player for the world cup and the year after.. obviously he will be wanting to go play 7s in the Olympics if it is for 2016. He might be pretty good at 7s, it'll be interesting to see anyway.

Because I don't want the NZRU to sign players just for Rugby World Cups and the Olympics. Both events have had players stay in New Zealand and work hard for four years to play in those events, only to have a guy be signed after no dedication. I hate that truth be told. At least if he signs for next season he has to do something to actually earn those oppertunities.

Would be good to have him back at the Chiefs next year, but at what cost?

Because I don't want the NZRU to sign players just for Rugby World Cups and the Olympics. Both events have had players stay in New Zealand and work hard for four years to play in those events, only to have a guy be signed after no dedication. I hate that truth be told. At least if he signs for next season he has to do something to actually earn those oppertunities.

I think that NZRU see a great marketing opportunity. SBW has a lot of fans outside of rugby, people who know little about rugby has him as an icon of our sport.

He's a kind of "the new Jonah Lomu", a big player with a powerful physique that dazzles crowds, especially to people who don't look rugby constantly.

Personally I don't like that, I prefer players like Christian Cullen, Doug Howlett or Conrad Smith before Lomu and SBW but I guess that must be the thought of NZRU, attracting crowds with a popular rugby player on and off the rugby.

Regards

Last edited:

If we can have him 2 out of 4 years that's pretty decent I reckon. It isn't likely this will be a new precedent either he isn't the usual player. If you are good enough and are playing in NZ then you should be picked, regardless of what you've been up to the previous years. I'd rather have him on the bench than Ryan Crotty.

As a Chiefs supporter I would love to have him back - he would make up for the loss of Kahui, Masaga, Leonard, Clarke and Smith somewhat. We definitely need some size in our midfield, and SBW would add that.

If we can have him 2 out of 4 years that's pretty decent I reckon. It isn't likely this will be a new precedent either he isn't the usual player. If you are good enough and are playing in NZ then you should be picked, regardless of what you've been up to the previous years. I'd rather have him on the bench than Ryan Crotty.

We'll have to agree to disagree to be honest. No player is bigger than the team in my mind, no matter their talent or marketability.

Latest posts