• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions: Return to Oz

Brad Barritt has a British passport, not through residency, but because his parents are Rhodesian.
Also, all of his Grandparents were English.

As the old saying goes "Blood is thicker than IRB rules regarding residency and eligibility of professional rugby players"

Brad Barritt has a British passport, not through residency, but because his parents are Rhodesian.
Also, all of his Grandparents were English.

As the old saying goes "Blood is thicker than IRB rules regarding residency and eligibility of professional rugby players"
Taking players from the former colonies doesn't count. (Thinks about any french representative team...) Ok, I'll give you Barrit.

Visser has scored more tries than anybody else in Europe this season, has been the leading try scorer in the Rabo Pro 12 for the past three seasons all whilst playing for a side towards the bottom of the table

Fionn Carr had a similar enough record for Connacht in the Rabo mind...

i feel sorry for morgan stoddart. he seemed to be one for the future and i havent heard his named mentioned for future wales rugby since his injury ! anyone know how hes getting on?

I am not talking about his skills, I am talking about his heritage. We are talking about Tuilagi and Faletau being in the Lions squad as born PI's. What about Barritt? Would you British lads feel comfortable about him being in the Lions squad?

He has a UK passport, he's proud to be English and is dead proud that he's been given the chance to even play for England.

A non-question in my view. We'll be doubting whether Allan Lamb deserves his Ashes medals next...

EDIT: And just for the record even if an Eskimo emigrated from Canada to the UK and became naturalised and was good enough and passionate enough to pull on a jersey for England I'd still back him for the Lions. Just sayin'...

i feel sorry for morgan stoddart. he seemed to be one for the future and i havent heard his named mentioned for future wales rugby since his injury ! anyone know how hes getting on?

Still injured. Not sure when he's due back, but hopefully soonish.

If he can regain form, then there's every chance of him being involved with Wales again, because we're still a little short of quality wingers. We've only really got North and Cuthbert now that Halfpenny's moved to fullback. Behind them there's a few youngsters like Harry Robinson, Eli Walker and Liam Williams (who's more of a fullback), there's Will Harries who's struggling a little since his injury, and finally there's a few players who haven't been able to make the step up previously in Aled Brew and Tom James. Overall, we're still in need of another winger, and Stoddart with his ability to play fullback as well would be a good option if he can regain form.

Similar to Martyn Thomas at the Dragons, Stoddart has been very unlucky with injuries, but he's also been able to return to form quickly as well. Stoddart always had a great understanding with Jon Davies, so could fit in well with this Welsh team.

Last edited:
No surprise BBC Wales seem to think Gatland has been offered the job.

Mike Ruddock 4 teh Lionz.

Think about it! Grand Slam with the Welsh, under 20's Grand Slam with Ireland, has managed professional sides in Ireland, Wales and England and isn't over any of the national teams at the moment. The perfect candidate.

Name me one other viable candidate. I dares ya
ian-mcgeechan_1205179c.jpg

If I were Welsh, I wouldn't want Gatland to have the job. The problem with it is if Gatland decides to got with Croft over Lydiate and Kearney over Halfpenny for the Lions, he can't turn around in the spring and say 'you're are the best players in the 6 Nations, way better than the guys who got the Lions jerseys ahead of you.' All of a sudden you have a bit of a confidence problem and probably a bit of broken trust.

Now why on earth would I do that? Gatland is pretty nailed on for the job, so as I said it's no surprise. Well to me it is not and I don't think anyone else could do a better job. It would be nice to have a British or Irish head coach but he get's my vote.

Meh ... boys are professional enough to get on with the job.

Also Mike Ruddock is with Ireland U20s. So he is tied to a union as such. Good option but doubt they would go for him.

Mike Ruddock 4 teh Lionz.

Think about it! Grand Slam with the Welsh, under 20's Grand Slam with Ireland, has managed professional sides in Ireland, Wales and England and isn't over any of the national teams at the moment. The perfect candidate.
I'd take him over Gatland in a heartbeat.
No qualms with Gatland being involved as he was in 2009, but wouldn't want a current British/Irish head coach to be Lions head coach.

Meh ... boys are professional enough to get on with the job.

Also Mike Ruddock is with Ireland U20s. So he is tied to a union as such. Good option but doubt they would go for him.

I know he works with Ireland, but the point is that it would completely avoid the situation I outlined above. As well as meaning Gatland wouldn't have to take a year out from Wales. Oh, and he's from the British Isles too, which is nice.

Declan Kid ........ almost thought I go through with saying it so I could get a laugh
But then I would have punched myself in the face