• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Itm

Depends for which union. In Otago the stands are empty, however Southland and Counties crowds are above average. Doesn't seem to be too impressive crowds at this stage, especially in the bigger unions, but that's just on observation.

Then you have your stands packed with horribly ****** students in Manawatu, starting fights and throwing up everywhere etc..

Then you have your stands packed with horribly ****** students in Manawatu, starting fights and throwing up everywhere etc..

Yeah, but at least in Manuwatu they bring their own buckets :D

large_631.jpg

YEAH Bro! Holwell for the Blues! Then the Blacks! Then the World Cup. Yeeeahhh!!

Seriously though - Jared Payne. Decent player, aye?

Counties vs. Northland about to start. Such a great Northland back line against the expansive Counties team. Should be a big score in this one.

On the topic of Counties vs Northland (which was an entertaining match), anyone else think Firtz Lee's head high tackle was one of the worst they've seen?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the topic of Counties vs Northland (which was an entertaining match), anyone else think Firtz Lee's head high tackle was one of the worst they've seen?

It certainly was very spectacular - the fact that Luke Hamilton is probably the smallest player in NZ rugby possibly made it look worse than it was. Lee is facing the judiciary this afternoon, and he's sure to get a few weeks off.

OMG that is one of the worst i've seen...yet i still enjoyed watching it

If only he dropped it down to the chest, Im sure it wouldve made it a big hit.

It certainly was very spectacular - the fact that Luke Hamilton is probably the smallest player in NZ rugby possibly made it look worse than it was. Lee is facing the judiciary this afternoon, and he's sure to get a few weeks off.

Made it look worse than it was? That is a text-book dangerous and thuggish, head high tackle. One of my rugby mates received one of those once and received a lengthy hospital stay with a crushed vertebrae and severe nerve damage. I think the only way that anyone condoning that kind of tackle will learn is to receive one themselves.

Believe me, it won't be easy to replicate Luke Hamilton's head not slamming into the deck and the accompanying damage when receiving one. :)

Made it look worse than it was? That is a text-book dangerous and thuggish, head high tackle. One of my rugby mates received one of those once and received a lengthy hospital stay with a crushed vertebrae and severe nerve damage. I think the only way that anyone condoning that kind of tackle will learn is to receive one themselves.

Believe me, it won't be easy to replicate Luke Hamilton's head not slamming into the deck and the accompanying damage when receiving one. :)

I don't know i agree with darwin to an extent. Im not defending the tackle as such and i don't think Fritz Lee should take any further part in the 2010 ITM cup, but i can understand what he means.
I know ive been in the situation where i have been running at an angle tracking a player, and then they quickly step inside me. Your reflex action is to throw a despiration arm out, if the player is quite short then you can end up giveing the poor guy a coathanger. I have absolutely destroyed a guy in this fashion once, i didn't intend to at all and i felt really bad about it.

I'm sorry, what part of my post suggested that I was condoning the tackle? I think it was very dangerous tackle, and Lee should be banned accordingly (indeed banning him for he rest of the NPC as Ranger suggest may be warranted). I simply stated that the relative size of the players made it look more dangerous (and indeed may have actually made it more dangerous, as Hamilton went flying in the air). Lee is a hugely powerful loose-forward, while Hamilton would be lucky to be 80kg - if the roles were reversed, with Hamilton tackling Lee do you think it would looked anywhere near as bad? In all likelihood Hamilton would almost have had his arm ripped off, and Lee would have kept on running :)

I'm sorry, what part of my post suggested that I was condoning the tackle? I think it was very dangerous tackle, and Lee should be banned accordingly (indeed banning him for he rest of the NPC as Ranger suggest may be warranted). I simply stated that the relative size of the players made it look more dangerous (and indeed may have actually made it more dangerous, as Hamilton went flying in the air). Lee is a hugely powerful loose-forward, while Hamilton would be lucky to be 80kg - if the roles were reversed, with Hamilton tackling Lee do you think it would looked anywhere near as bad? In all likelihood Hamilton would almost have had his arm ripped off, and Lee would have kept on running :)

No part of your post said you condoned it. I said "I think the only way that anyone condoning that kind of tackle will learn is to receive one themselves". That is saying if someone condoned it then they'd probably only learn to dislike those tackles by being on the receiving end. I never mentioned you personally.

Why did you think of yourself when I said "someone"?

Also, although the relative size/weight can make for an interesting discussion on how things would go if they were reversed, the fact is it's illegal and dangerous no matter how big you are. I've seen a halfback nail a monster prop in the throat with a swinging arm and drop him. The prop was wheezing really badly and had to be carried off. At the end of the day illegal play is illegal for a reason. I'm not into anyone being entertained by it as Muzzy apparently was.

I tend to find it slightly more agreeable the way ranger has described it when making reference to putting a desperate arm out there. That has merit sometimes as an excuse, but it's not the tackler I'm criticising as much. It's more the blood hungry "yeah shot bro" crowd.

Yeah, I admit I've made a desperate attempt to stop the ball from spreading wide, and causing a try, but I'm not the most nimble footed player, so when the centre (admitedly he was fairly large) changed directions, I hit him with quite a horrible and desperate coat hanger. That's the only memorable head high tackle I can remember doing, but I was hit by a big forward during 7's by a head high when scoring a try. It's definetly not a nice feelling, but it's not always intentional.

Still, that's one of the worst I've seen. Fritz Lee has looked impressive this year so far as well, bit of a shame his season is likely to be over after this.

ITM Cup

Why's the ITM Cup thread closed? Was wanting to contribute my tuppence to the Fritz Lee debate.

The guy had a storming game vs the Taniwha. Was it him who felled the Mighty Oak that is David Holwell near the try line? (I don't think it was, but he still put in some mean hits)

I missed the last 10 minutes - threw my toys out the pram as some shoddy play from Northland; only to see the Fritz Lee tackle make the news! What a terrible tackle and a blot on the copybook of an exceptional game from the big Steelers forward. I don't think it was intended, but nevertheless, he should have to serve the time for the worst tackle I've seen in provincial rugby in a fair time.

The referee should be hauled over the coals for not awarding a Penalty Try though. Pretty much the clearest instance of a PT that you're ever likely to see.

I'm unsure why this thread has been closed. There may be a very good reason, so will check into it. :)

I'm certainly not wanting to tread on the toes of any other Mod or Admin, but it appears it may have been an error as there isn't a message left to state a reason. I'll re-open it and merge this one. :)

Any Mod or Admin that may have closed this, please let me know via PM. :D

By the way, this debate about dangerous tackles appears to be very amicable and I certainly don't have any problem with having a good old discussion with Darwin23 or any of the boys here regarding it. :)

Cheers Mr. Iversen. I couldn't see any obvious reason why this'd be closed. Now, how sexy is that young Holwell fulla? Apparently, if you rub him behind the ears, he grants you three wishes. Anyone willing to try it?

Cheers Mr. Iversen. I couldn't see any obvious reason why this'd be closed. Now, how sexy is that young Holwell fulla? Apparently, if you rub him behind the ears, he grants you three wishes. Anyone willing to try it?

I know your in love with him, but the most I can say for him is that if you look at players who've not been All Blacks, then he is in the greatest 15 players in NPC history. :)

I know your in love with him, but the most I can say for him is that if you look at players who've not been All Blacks, then he is in the greatest 15 players in NPC history. :)

I like the cut of your jib, Iversen.

Now, how good has Jared Payne been this NPC? Superb I reckon, and I'm not even a Northland fan (even though they do have Hunky Holwell)

Last edited:
I like the cut of your jib, Iversen.

Now, how good has Jared Payne been this NPC? Superb I reckon, and I'm not even a Northland fan (even though they do have Hunky Holwell)

Holwell, Bancroft, Payne, and Ranger have been the major reason that they are the only team to beat Southland to date.

I'm certainly not wanting to tread on the toes of any other Mod or Admin, but it appears it may have been an error as there isn't a message left to state a reason. I'll re-open it and merge this one. :)

Any Mod or Admin that may have closed this, please let me know via PM. :D

By the way, this debate about dangerous tackles appears to be very amicable and I certainly don't have any problem with having a good old discussion with Darwin23 or any of the boys here regarding it. :)

I was assuming that the thread was closed by nickdnz because Hosea Gear hadn't been mentioned for over 30 posts - this is clearly unacceptable in a thread about the ITM Cup :)

Anyways, back to the ITM Cup.... Its very close at the top, with only three competition points between Auckland (in 3rd) and Counties (in 8th). I think all the teams with the exception of Otago, Tasman, and Manawatu still have a chance of making into the top 7 (and hence be involved in the premier division next year), and at least 8 teams have a realistic chance of making the top 4. It's certainly going to be an interesting comp over the next 4 weeks of the regular season....

Latest posts