• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Itm

Saw the Wellington v Northland gale. Great work by Schwalger to put the final try and secure the victory.

Depends for which union. In Otago the stands are empty, however Southland and Counties crowds are above average. Doesn't seem to be too impressive crowds at this stage, especially in the bigger unions, but that's just on observation.

There was a good crowd at the Tasman Southland game but they don't have a big ground but it still looked good!! Southland are getting the crowd because they are doing well and have the Ranfurly shield the biggest crowd to date in the ITM Cup was 18,500 that was the Shield challenge between Southland and Otago!! Very impressive!!

Hey guys, what have the crowds been like so far in the ITM cup?
I've been to Lions vs Waikato and Lions vs Taniwha and to be honest the Rugby crowds at the Westpac Stadium have been dwindeling since Wellington Phoenix Soccer team come on board. I think we may have averaged around 12,000-15,000 last season but it looks like only around 8,000-10,000 this season :(

Saw the Wellington v Northland gale. Great work by Schwalger to put the final try and secure the victory.
My dad and nephew took a photo with Schwalger and he was happy as. Not often props score and I liked his try celebration too, pulling out the guns and shooting them off looked pretty cool.

I've been to Lions vs Waikato and Lions vs Taniwha and to be honest the Rugby crowds at the Westpac Stadium have been dwindeling since Wellington Phoenix Soccer team come on board. I think we may have averaged around 12,000-15,000 last season but it looks like only around 8,000-10,000 this season :(

Crowds have definitely dropped off in recent season. I guess people just prefer to say in and watch the games. I think peopole are still interested in it, they don't just go to the stadium.

I'm so frustrated with W#ellington right now. That was a terrible performance last night. I think we did just deserve the win but our tactics were shocking. Near the end of the first half we got a penalty and Mathewson took the quick tap and then 10 seconds later we kicked the ball away anyway. We have to start playing well in games from the start and not relying on the typical second half fight backs.

How good is David Holwell? He should still be playing Super 14 and he's better than any of the alternatives to Dan Carter for the ABs. Jeez, the experience just oozes out like earwax from him. He dictates the game, amazing ball skills for a 35 year old. Last night, the Lions had to result to shoulder barging him in the face to ensure he had to spend time off in the blood bin. The end result? Capitulation from the Taniwha. It's a damn shame that Wellington had to resort to beating on an OAP who gave the 'Canes years of sterling service in years gone by. Northland conceded 14 points with Holwell off the field and were fighting an uphill battle from then on. And that last penalty? Well, I know they're trying to groom Lachie Munro as Holwell's long term replacement, but use the old fulla for such an important kick. Look, I know we should all pity Munro with his looks that even his mother couldn't love, but the Taniwha have a good chance of finishing in the top 7 if they take their opportunities, so you've got to use Holwell for those key set pieces.

EDIT: I was there last night by the way. Sad that the couple of thousand Wellingtonians couldn't drown out the hardy couple of hundy who came down from Whangarei.

How good is David Holwell? He should still be playing Super 14 and he's better than any of the alternatives to Dan Carter for the ABs. Jeez, the experience just oozes out like earwax from him. He dictates the game, amazing ball skills for a 35 year old. Last night, the Lions had to result to shoulder barging him in the face to ensure he had to spend time off in the blood bin. The end result? Capitulation from the Taniwha. It's a damn shame that Wellington had to resort to beating on an OAP who gave the 'Canes years of sterling service in years gone by. Northland conceded 14 points with Holwell off the field and were fighting an uphill battle from then on. And that last penalty? Well, I know they're trying to groom Lachie Munro as Holwell's long term replacement, but use the old fulla for such an important kick. Look, I know we should all pity Munro with his looks that even his mother couldn't love, but the Taniwha have a good chance of finishing in the top 7 if they take their opportunities, so you've got to use Holwell for those key set pieces.

EDIT: I was there last night by the way. Sad that the couple of thousand Wellingtonians couldn't drown out the hardy couple of hundy who came down from Whangarei.

David Holwell is pretty good for 35 and it is good to see an experienced head still running around in the competition to mentor the young guys. It is surprising that he could never push on to higher honors during his career. However, I don't think he was brilliant last night. He dropped that high ball last night and that caused a try to be scored.

I doubt the Lions targeted Holwell, but I expect a person with the name "DavidHolwell'sEars" may have a different view on the matter.

Ah c'mon guys. Holwell is clearly the 2nd best 5/8ths in the country at the moment. Look, he was off his game slightly last night, but he's played every week so far, and he's retired 39 times over the last 3 years, so it's hard for him. Either way, I was glad to cheer him off the field at the end after his final final final final appearance at the Cake Tin. Hope to see him here again next year.

Ah c'mon guys. Holwell is clearly the 2nd best 5/8ths in the country at the moment. Look, he was off his game slightly last night, but he's played every week so far, and he's retired 39 times over the last 3 years, so it's hard for him. Either way, I was glad to cheer him off the field at the end after his final final final final appearance at the Cake Tin. Hope to see him here again next year.
McAlister, Delany, Donald, Cruden, Slade and even Brett are better 1st 5/8ths than he is at the moment. I liked him in the Canes, but even then he was never really in the top three fly halfs in the country. Pitty he didn't make higher honours at some point, and he is the Canes highest points scorer, but saying he's the 2nd best 1st 5/8ths is going a bit far, and to say Wellington targeted him with a sholder charge is also pretty far fetched.

No way are Brett and McAlister better than Holwell. Holwell's passing has been exemplary and has ability to control the play superb. Brett and McAlister in particular are flakes. Donald hasn't been playing, so let's rule him out for a while but I'm not a fan anyway - he'll play sublime one week, and schisse the next. Slade has been good, but he's going to the Highlanders, so that'll ruin him. Cruden, he's still got a lot to prove, but I like the way he moves for sure. Delany, well he could do with some Super 15 action as a guaranteed first teamer 5/8ths too. Nah, Holwell has it all (NB. Holwell has it all other than age on his side the fact he isn't kicking at the moment and that his body could fall apart at any second but other than that Holwell has it all)

Holwell is a good player and his experience is a big bonus. But he's not better than Cruden, Donald, Delany, Slade or Robinson and maybe not even the likes of Renata who has been improving game to game and only really needs to work on his decision making a bit. And Holwell isn't even kicking for northland either.

I think his ears slow him down!!!

A lot of people hate in donald, I thought he had a good season up untill late in the season when he was carrying a leg injury, which may also explain why his goal kicking lapsed. He's got a good running game on attack, I believe his defence is maybe better than any other NZ 10 other than carter who has freakish defence. And Kicking for goal - when he's on form he is as good as anyone in the world. Couple games towards the end of the super14 ruined his kicking stats last season but for most of the comp he was 2nd on the points scoring table behind More Steyn.

like 0 from 7 :p with a 0 from 2 for Callum Bruce. i laughed at every missed kick after the first 3.

yeah that game was a shocker and likely cost him an all black spot, seems he may have been carrying a leg injury at the time. His kicking in the next game wasn't much better then he was out with a leg injury. Worth pointing out though that even though he had those couple of really bad games he still finished with a season kicking record of ~65% (dont remember exactly what it was) which was about the same %age Dan Carter finished the season at Donald was on fire at the start of the season and I think he didn't miss a kick until his 13th attempt?

Interestingly Dagg was NZ's best super14 kicker. He was very impressive, highlanders will miss him. I think his game against the Bulls away in south africa was the most impressive individual player performance for the whole competition.

Colin Slade has been in great form so he could be the new backup to carter, i think Holwell and Munro have earnt blues jerseys though, McAlister has been pretty average so far imo but then again the whole team hasn't been doing that well.

is it just me or has Rhyan Caine been the best halfback in the ITM Cup this year?

another great first five this season who's getting really overlooked is Hayden Kerr for Counties Manakau, his kicking and goal kicking is great and he's solid overall, but the sad thing is the chiefs are probably gonna pick Renata as backup to Donald only because Renata plays for Waikato, even though Counties have been doing well and Kerr has been playing so well

It seems that some of the All Black aren't available for the ITM cup prior to the all Blacks end of year tour, according to the NZ Herald - here are the details:

PRESERVING THE PLAYERS

Exempt All Blacks:

Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Daniel Carter, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock.

All Blacks available for ITM Cup:

5 games: Colin Slade, Anthony Boric, Liam Messam, Benson Stanley, Rene Ranger.
4: Corey Flynn, John Afoa.
3: Aaron Cruden.
2: Victor Vito, Joe Rokocoko, Israel Dagg.
1: Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Tony Woodcock, Owen Franks, Tom Donnelly, Brad Thorn, Jimmy Cowan.

It seems that some of the All Black aren't available for the ITM cup prior to the all Blacks end of year tour, according to the NZ Herald - here are the details:

PRESERVING THE PLAYERS

Exempt All Blacks:

Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Daniel Carter, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock.

All Blacks available for ITM Cup:

5 games: Colin Slade, Anthony Boric, Liam Messam, Benson Stanley, Rene Ranger.
4: Corey Flynn, John Afoa.
3: Aaron Cruden.
2: Victor Vito, Joe Rokocoko, Israel Dagg.
1: Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Tony Woodcock, Owen Franks, Tom Donnelly, Brad Thorn, Jimmy Cowan.

Seems pretty sensible to give the top guys a rest. Bit surprised to see Cruden get two weeks off - he's played approximately 120 mins of rugby (only a game and a half) for the AB's this year so he can't be that fatigued! Perhaps he is resting his ankle which was apparently injured during the last AB's match.

Likewise I would have liked to see Dagg, Vito, and Sam Whitelock in particular to have a few more weeks of rugby, as their workload for the AB's hasn't been that large.

Last edited:
Seems pretty sensible to give the top guys a rest. Bit surprised to see Cruden get two weeks off - he's played approximately 120 mins of rugby (only a game and a half) for the AB's this year so he can't be that fatigued! Perhaps he is resting his ankle which was apparently injured during the last AB's match.

Likewise I would have liked to see Dagg, Vito, and Sam Whitelock in particular to have a few more weeks of rugby, as their workload for the AB's hasn't been that large.

Yep, sorry, I didn't include the whole article as it was a bit long, but I think they said that Cruden's reason was the ankle injury

i think Holwell and Munro have earnt blues jerseys though,

YEAH Bro! Holwell for the Blues! Then the Blacks! Then the World Cup. Yeeeahhh!!

Seriously though - Jared Payne. Decent player, aye?

Counties vs. Northland about to start. Such a great Northland back line against the expansive Counties team. Should be a big score in this one.

Latest posts