• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Waikato vs. Canterbury ITM cup final 2011

Larksea

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
I can't believe how quiet this section is. I know all eyes are on the World cup which is just around the corner but this years ITM cup has been a fest of awesome footy. It's made for much better viewing than super rugby in my view and though there have not been many All Blacks in the cup the starts that everyone should be turning on for are the Great New Zealand under 20's stars that are swelling the ranks this season. The comp has been so tight with little in it at the end with Canterbury and Waikato sitting top of the pack both on 33 points but just behind them were impressive challenges from Taranaki and the Bays plus Cruden and his Turbos have put on a show this year too.

As for the final, hate to say I told you so but right back at the begining I picked mooloo to do well even though most wrote them off. Auckland were suposed to dominate this cup and Waikato were picked to be either mid to lower order in the picking stakes but it's been the other way around.

Going to be an epic final, waikato should be odds on to win after beating canterbury away this year but it's not that simple. Canterbury are a strong side with a good mix, it will be a close battle I think.

I'm annoyed that I only started really following ITM cup last week, but that Waikato/Auckland game was a cracker!

Can't wait for the final, gonna be some great footy played

When Steve Donald has played till the 80th minute, Waikato hasn't lost a match :cool:

I'm picking Waikato to win it, unless Donald is ruled out/gets injured.

so true about don he is the key for waikato. The way he took the game in that last 30min or so and got Waikato going forward and ran in two trys. Not just in attack but he's been very strong on defence for a 10.

Donald, Barlow and Leonard have been stellar for Waikato and if messam has another big game I find it hard to see Waikato not winning it.

But canterbury have some strong players too. Nasi Manu has been very good, Robbie Fruen will be a handful without Kahui to look after him like he did in the last game, Crotty has been good too and Tom Taylor looks like a class act - maybe even future all black material.

I don't even rate Donald but agree he is pretty crucial for the mooloos. Look at what happened against the turbos when he wasn't there, a 50 point whipping.

Can I just once again point out the flaws in this years competition.. Manawatu beat the team that finished 1st, and 3rd in the 'top' division, yet might not even be able to compete in the that division next year if they lose a final.. joke.

I don't even rate Donald but agree he is pretty crucial for the mooloos. Look at what happened against the turbos when he wasn't there, a 50 point whipping.

Can I just once again point out the flaws in this years competition.. Manawatu beat the team that finished 1st, and 3rd in the 'top' division, yet might not even be able to compete in the that division next year if they lose a final.. joke.

But were poor last year and suffered accordingly...

Also, hoping Canterbury win this one or else the mooloo fan I know will be insufferable (even if they are from BOP...)

Hoping the Mooloos can take it, still feel gutted about last year.

Reckon with Messam's motivation, Donald's experience and Kerr-Barlow's form, we can do it :p
Gonna be a sweet game whoever wins though, both teams from last year's final always means it's gonna be great.
C'mon Mooloos!!

But were poor last year and suffered accordingly...

Also, hoping Canterbury win this one or else the mooloo fan I know will be insufferable (even if they are from BOP...)

Well Wellington were poor this year and haven't suffered at all so that logic doesn't wash.

Well Wellington were poor this year and haven't suffered at all so that logic doesn't wash.

No, because the situation is different this year and Wellington have been poor, but not as poor Southland. If Manawatu beat Hawke's Bay they will be rewarded for the same reason as they were dropped down a level this year. It's not so much as a joke as giving teams in the both divisions something else to strive for other than winning the competition: achieving promotion or avoiding relegation.

Similarly, I don't see much difference in each division, other than finals (which probably mean a difference in payout for the teams as well). As Taranaki are sitting pretty with the Shield atm I couldn't really care less who wins out of Waikato and Canterbury (other than winding up a few mooloos I know), but I can't speak for the rest of NZ over what they care more about.

Teams should be rightfully be judged season by season... The only flaw in the system I think is the first placed team should go straight up rather than playing a final to do so, but that doesn't equal $$$, which is the reason the NZRU had to change to this format in the first place.

Given the fact they were considering booting certain teams out completely, including Manawatu, I'd say they've actually benefited greatly from this format and have shown that by a vast improvement that meant they thrashed Waikato at home.

No, because the situation is different this year and Wellington have been poor, but not as poor Southland. If Manawatu beat Hawke's Bay they will be rewarded for the same reason as they were dropped down a level this year. It's not so much as a joke as giving teams in the both divisions something else to strive for other than winning the competition: achieving promotion or avoiding relegation.

Similarly, I don't see much difference in each division, other than finals (which probably mean a difference in payout for the teams as well). As Taranaki are sitting pretty with the Shield atm I couldn't really care less who wins out of Waikato and Canterbury (other than winding up a few mooloos I know), but I can't speak for the rest of NZ over what they care more about.

Teams should be rightfully be judged season by season... The only flaw in the system I think is the first placed team should go straight up rather than playing a final to do so, but that doesn't equal $$$, which is the reason the NZRU had to change to this format in the first place.

Given the fact they were considering booting certain teams out completely, including Manawatu, I'd say they've actually benefited greatly from this format and have shown that by a vast improvement that meant they thrashed Waikato at home.

That's my whole point though, with this format you don't really get judged season by season. Manawatu and Hawkes Bay are both much better sides than Wellington this year, however, Wellington are guaranteed to play in the top next year, only one of Manawatu or Hawkes Bay will which to me doesn't make sense. That's the way it is though my complaining isn;t going to change much unfortunately.

Yeah but you never know how a team is going to perform, and you can't keep chopping and changing every season.

Been at little disappointing so far, Canterbury leading 6-3 late in the first half

Refereeing has been poor mind.

9-3 H/T

Agreed, and I thought the 2007 RWC final was bad, but no points so far in the second half, both teams playing laterally, but then when somone does straighten the line on attack, they gain some ground but yet on the next attack they go back to the lateral movements again, getting fustrating.

Yay, a penalty at last :(

12-3 Canterbury

[trolling mode]Booooo, Where is the running rugby? Were are those magnificent tries? Boooo, boring rugby, boooo!!!![/trolling mode]

Agreed, and I thought the 2007 RWC final was bad, but no points so far in the second half, both teams playing laterally, but then when somone does straighten the line on attack, they gain some ground but yet on the next attack they go back to the lateral movements again, getting fustrating.

Yay, a penalty at last :(

12-3 Canterbury

Both teams were afraid to give the ball a throw about the park and went into their shell pretty quickly. Canterbury were the better team as Waikato just made constant handling errors.

Ok game - both teams defended well, but their attack was far too lateral. Canterbury deserved the win though, as they were definitely the better team on the night.

Latest posts