• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland vs France - 09/03/2013

I was completely underwhelmed by both teams. I suppose I've come to expect it from France recently though. Why is it that players from the likes of Ulster, Leinster and Munster for Ireland, and Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon, etc. for France cannot put together a decent, 80 minute performance when they are playing together? For France it is mostly selection issues obviously, but I don't get why Ireland look so average when Ulster and Leinster are so efficient in both the league and the Heineken Cup.

To be fair to Ireland, it was a fairly average team they had out there. It's been decimated by injury (and that only got worse as the game went on). Of course this is compounded with Kidney's selection policy over the years, so the new players thay have had to call upon have no experience. Some of the newly introduced players will hopefully go on to become good international players, but they're gonna take a little time to bed in.

The good:
- Much happier with Murray's kicking today. Still not overly satisfied with his speed of pass. Good (and more importantly fast) decision to run the free kick when it was moved forward. Needs to speed up decision making when at a ruck.
- Well done POM. I've slated him for being on the periphery of the previous matches, was much more involved today, perhaps under order to be closer to the rucks.
- Jackson's kicking was better - roughly in-line from what I would expect from him at Ulster.
- The mauls - fantastic when the big guys got them right.
- The lineout - much improved with great variety. Although the French defensive lineout didn't exactly put them under pressure.
- Great 1st half

The bad:
- Why take off players playing well when the clock hits 60? Poor management from the line.
- We need to get the ball back off the deck from rucks quicker - Conor Murray still carries quite a bit of the blame from me on this.
- So-so 2nd half.

The ugly:
- The injuries really killed our chances of fighting to win the match in the last 10 mins.
- Eoin Reddans leg. Best of luck to him.

Last edited:
I was completely underwhelmed by both teams. I suppose I've come to expect it from France recently though. Why is it that players from the likes of Ulster, Leinster and Munster for Ireland, and Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon, etc. for France cannot put together a decent, 80 minute performance when they are playing together? For France it is mostly selection issues obviously, but I don't get why Ireland look so average when Ulster and Leinster are so efficient in both the league and the Heineken Cup.

I'm sure I don't have to say it, but Michalak was absolutely dreadful and should never touch a blue shirt again. He's a lost cause at this stage, and I fear Saint-Andre is too. So is Kidney. Why not just sack both coaches for the final round and start building for the next six nations? Might sound silly but it's a semi-serious suggestion. Kidney has had far too long now to try and prove the 2009 grand slam wasn't a bit of a fluke. Saint-Andre seems to be similar to Martin Johnson in that he appears to have favourites. He MUST have favourites to pick such a poor fly half so many times in a row and not see him for the player he actually is at the moment.

And you have no clue how Saint Andre is drunk. His comments after the match are just laughable. We should have lost this match, just to put him down, out of the job.

Last edited:
I think the big plus is we have a squad now. But worry about Marshall been injury prone as today showed he can cement 12 jersey for long time. Also is it fair to say our props ran out of steam

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...320877?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

****!

An XV of people without those injure/possible injured

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Ross
4. McCarthy
5. O'Callaghan
6. Henderson
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Marshall
10. Jackson
11. Earls
12. Fitzgerald
13. Cave
14. Trimble
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Kilcoyne
18. Archer
19. Toner
20. O'Donnell
21. Marmion
22. Madigan
23. Kearney

Is what I'm thinking out of the training squads I'm sure some more will be fit.

You'd have thought that at least the Irish guy commentating would have noticed....

Well I think Eddie Butler was working out how to pronounce the replacement that came from New Caledonia, he never sounded at all confident with it

To be fair Butler is one of the better ones when it comes to pronunciation of players names.

He is, but that some stumped him. I wouldnt have had a chance pronouncing it myself

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...320877?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

****!

An XV of people without those injure/possible injured

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Ross
4. McCarthy
5. O'Callaghan
6. Henderson
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Marshall
10. Jackson
11. Earls
12. Fitzgerald
13. Cave
14. Trimble
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Kilcoyne
18. Archer
19. Toner
20. O'Donnell
21. Marmion
22. Madigan
23. Kearney

Is what I'm thinking out of the training squads I'm sure some more will be fit.
A lot are back for Italy. Sexton will return as I presume Gilroy and maybe Fitzpatrick. Hope D. Ryan is out and left recover for HEC.

They also were praising O'Driscoll for a crucial turnover near the 22, saying how good it was. 30 seconds later it turns out it was Marshall.

Infact, it was obvious to everyone watching that it was Marshall who made the turnover. Oh well.

I know just saying at this moment in time.
Oh thought you meant possibly it could've been that vs Italy. Here's a teaser vs Italy. Who starts Sexton or Jackson. I'd leave Paddy at 10 with maybe Sexton at 12. Think Jackson needs more games and it'll help and if Sexton 100% start him at 12 and if not leave him on bench and not over risk him.

Oh thought you meant possibly it could've been that vs Italy. Here's a teaser vs Italy. Who starts Sexton or Jackson. I'd leave Paddy at 10 with maybe Sexton at 12. Think Jackson needs more games and it'll help and if Sexton 100% start him at 12 and if not leave him on bench and not over risk him.

Sexton for 55-60 minutes and bring Jackson on, no point having Sexton at 12, he won't be used there in the future with the likes of Marshall, Cave, McFadden, O'Malley, McSharry (He's 12 right?) and Hanrahan at the sides disposal there's no point.

Or else play Jackson with Sexton on the bench, I reckon Kidney will go with Sexton, he'd want to go out with a win.

I hope he brings P.Marshall up to the bench, I've waited too long to see him in green.

How injured is Ferris right now? I know he's perpetually injured but is he coming back in the foreseeable future?

Sexton for 55-60 minutes and bring Jackson on, no point having Sexton at 12, he won't be used there in the future with the likes of Marshall, Cave, McFadden, O'Malley, McSharry (He's 12 right?) and Hanrahan at the sides disposal there's no point.

Or else play Jackson with Sexton on the bench, I reckon Kidney will go with Sexton, he'd want to go out with a win.

I hope he brings P.Marshall up to the bench, I've waited too long to see him in green.

Well with Marshall concussed which is a minimum 3 weeks, D'arcy out, McSharry out, Cave a 13, O'Malley just back from injury and a 13 and McFadden possibly out. It may not be the worst option. Knowing Kidney it'll be BO'D to 12 and Earls to 13 when if doing that it really should be Cave. I think or three best options are: BO'D Cave, Fitzgerald BOD or Sexton BOD presuming on McFadden's injury. But as I said doubt Kidney will go for any of that.

Latest posts