• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland vs France - 09/03/2013

But cmac if you follow squads - McFadden injured/doubtful, Marshall out (would be my starter) otherwise, McSharry injured, Cave is a 13, O'Malley nowhere near ready for Ireland (also he a 13) and same applies to JJ. So i think Sexton at 12 is best available unless Downey gets call. Also small Paul has been poor for Ulster lately but it will be a call between him and Boss and while Boss is the player on form I think the decision will be decided by how Murray is.

Ferris out for season had a relapse with ankle

So injury list now.

Stephen Ferris
Eoin Reddan
Declan Fitzpatrick
Jonathan Sexton
Gordan D'arcy
Chris Henry
Tommy Bowe
Craig Gilroy
Luke Marshall
Paul O'Connell
Simon Zebo

Possible Injuries

Brian O'Driscoll
Peter O'Mahony
Donnacha Ryan

Have I missed one or two?

So what, 10 of those potential starting XV? 5 of them you could certainly see starting for the Lions if fully fit. (Ferris, BOD, Bowe, POC, Sexton.)

I actually find it amusing now. I'm turning all my attention to Ulster now, not really worried where Ireland finish.

I thought Ireland played well first half - nothing spectacular but played the conditions well and controlled the game pretty well. Sean O'Brien, Jackson, and Connor Murray all we're impressive on the back of hard work in the forwards. Not 100% sure why Kidney brought Murray off to be honest.

Second half France came out with a completely different attitude, dominated the set piece, and capitalised on Ireland's lack of leaders towards the back end. The last 15 minutes or so we're typical for Ireland; they just don't seem to have the quality or expeciance in key positions to be able to control a game from 80 minutes. South Africa; lost control, Argentina; conceded two tries, Wales; ended up defending for their lives on the goal line, England; conceded two penalties towards the back end, and conceded a late try against France today. If Michalak hadn't smacked the ball off the park, I expect the French would have scored off the phases that followed.

It looks to be a confidence issue IMO, and for me, one that won't be resolved with Declan Kidney in charge.

Another player I have to give praise to is Rory Best. I've criticized him a lot recently for his line-out, but he seems to have really worked on it and he was very good today.

I thought Ireland played well first half - nothing spectacular but played the conditions well and controlled the game pretty well. Sean O'Brien, Jackson, and Connor Murray all we're impressive on the back of hard work in the forwards. Not 100% sure why Kidney brought Murray off to be honest.

Second half France came out with a completely different attitude, dominated the set piece, and capitalised on Ireland's lack of leaders towards the back end. The last 15 minutes or so we're typical for Ireland; they just don't seem to have the quality or expeciance in key positions to be able to control a game from 80 minutes. South Africa; lost control, Argentina; conceded two tries, Wales; ended up defending for their lives on the goal line, England; conceded two penalties towards the back end, and conceded a late try against France today. If Michalak hadn't smacked the ball off the park, I expect the French would have scored off the phases that followed.

It looks to be a confidence issue IMO, and for me, one that won't be resolved with Declan Kidney in charge.
Ireland falling apart in the second half of big matches is something which has become glaringly apparent, its been creeping into their performances over the last year or so. We once were a side that could control a game, and a lead as good as anyone, especially when the likes of O'Driscoll, O'Connell, ROG and Stringer were at the height of their powers. Its frustrating watching a side that can be great for 40 or 50 minutes, but when the oppostiion starts to get a little momentum, they fall apart big time. I cant quite put my finger on whats causing it, but maybe it could be a lack of experience and confidence from some of the players as you've said. Its obviously mental, and it's going to hinder our results until we can sort to out to some degree.

Another thing, why are our players so injury prone? Our players seem to be dropping like flies in recent matches, I reckon almost half of our starting 15 have picked up knocks of some kind today. I know theirs a lot of exertion in big matches for every nation, but we seem to suffer more than most. We'll not have a anything close to our starting 15 starting any time soon if this keeps up.

Was looking at stat there and in last 30mins of games Ireland have lost 90% of games over last 30 months very scary stat. For all our welfare it seems either our fitness is poor, we are chokers or training is wrongly designed. Also again the Aviva pitch must be the worst pitch in world rugby in my opinion

I've heard worse ideas than Sexton-Jackson playing together. If nothing else, that is a potential scenario going forwards should injuries occur on the field in that position again, and might as well test it ahead of time while everyone else is dead. I think the alternatives, as stands are Downey, Tonetti... then the likes of Olding and Hanrahan. Could always call back Ian Whitten for a laugh I guess...

Ireland falling apart in the second half of big matches is something which has become glaringly apparent, its been creeping into their performances over the last year or so. We once were a side that could control a game, and a lead as good as anyone, especially when the likes of O'Driscoll, O'Connell, ROG and Stringer were at the height of their powers. Its frustrating watching a side that can be great for 40 or 50 minutes, but when the oppostiion starts to get a little momentum, they fall apart big time. I cant quite put my finger on whats causing it, but maybe it could be a lack of experience and confidence from some of the players as you've said. Its obviously mental, and it's going to hinder our results until we can sort to out to some degree.

I think the ability to control a game comes down to experience - not in terms of age - but the experience of playing in big games. I look at that Ireland side that took the the field yesterday and I just don't see anyone who you can class as a 'leader' - obviously BOD is an exception. When discussing leaders, I always being to mind the World Cup winning team of 03 - there were so many lesders in that team it was frightning - men that had the influence to be able to inspire, yet calm things down when ncessary.

I just don't see enough leaders in the Ireland camp at this moment in time.

But cmac if you follow squads - McFadden injured/doubtful, Marshall out (would be my starter) otherwise, McSharry injured, Cave is a 13, O'Malley nowhere near ready for Ireland (also he a 13) and same applies to JJ. So i think Sexton at 12 is best available unless Downey gets call. Also small Paul has been poor for Ulster lately but it will be a call between him and Boss and while Boss is the player on form I think the decision will be decided by how Murray is.

Ferris out for season had a relapse with ankle

I knew all of that apart from McSharry and I wouldn't have called him up anyway, I didn't really get my point across well. What I was trying to say is that I'm not sure Sexton at 12 would work. It's only been used for 15 minutes here and he'll be back straight after a hamstring tear and I'd be doubtful he'd have over 70 minutes in a position he's comfortable with never mind out of that position and it's not building for the future either as all those players I mentioned will be looking for spots. I realize now that my last post was very badly worded.

I'd actually have Madigan at 12 with Jackson 10 and Sexton on the bench, I can see Madigan playing 12 regularly enough in the future (Again there will be numerous better options but he's much more of a 12 than Sexton and it might lead to something), he's kind of in the Felipe Contipomi mould of a player and because we're completely f**ked for center's it's worth a shot. I'd have him or Fitzgerald as long as Earls was left on the wing and Sexton is safe I'm happy.

Edit: @Saint Matt You just have to look at our injury list really we're missing O'Connell, D'Arcy, Tommy Bowe, Ferris and we are only just getting Sexton back. These players are all leaders and add that to Heaslip and O'Driscoll and we'd be fine I think. Although we need a new game plan more than anything and that won't come with Kidney.

Last edited:
How injured is Ferris right now? I know he's perpetually injured but is he coming back in the foreseeable future?

Out for the season. Had to have another op on the ankle a couple of weeks back.

I was highlighting the current 6 Nations squad rather than Irish rugby in general if you understand where I'm coming from.

Should have made that clearer.

Another player I have to give praise to is Rory Best. I've criticized him a lot recently for his line-out, but he seems to have really worked on it and he was very good today.

It was much better lineout calling more than throwing IMO that led to the better lineouts.

Constantly calling to the middle/tail when the other team's middle jumper is getting up very well and is significantly higher in the air than your middle/tail options only puts the thrower under very severe pressure.

Another thing, why are our players so injury prone? Our players seem to be dropping like flies in recent matches, I reckon almost half of our starting 15 have picked up knocks of some kind today. I know theirs a lot of exertion in big matches for every nation, but we seem to suffer more than most. We'll not have a anything close to our starting 15 starting any time soon if this keeps up.

I don't think we're really any more injury prone than anyone else. We do have some players who are though but a lot of those are older players who've had to play loads of games. This year has just been worse than usual and compared to other teams we don't really have the depth to deal with loads of injuries to one position.

But as I rambled I don't think we're worse than other countries I mean just look at the likes of Oz last year.

I think fact also our props ran out of gas and subs weren't trusted was a factor big time after rewatching game. On 60-63minute mark France started to grow and it's no coincidence this was linked with Healy and Ross had blown the head gasket and given their all.

Latest posts