• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland vs France - 09/03/2013

Just can't get over how stupid that call from Michalak was.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

BOD goes off and then is allowed back on.... was that a concussion call or blood as I saw no blood on his way off? Wierd!

You're allowed to go off for 10min nowadays to get tested for concussion. So he was deemed ok, and allowed back on. The law was introduced to protect players, so they can be fully assessed off the field of play, trying to avoid players staying on when they are clearly not fit to do so.

Guarantees us second, thanks Freddie.

Very surprised Ireland didn't run away with it, after the first quarter.

****ing odd game is all i can sya we let france effective take a win from that.

You're allowed to go off for 10min nowadays to get tested for concussion. So he was deemed ok, and allowed back on. The law was introduced to protect players, so they can be fully assessed off the field of play, trying to avoid players staying on when they are clearly not fit to do so.

Understood that but no one said that was the case and I did not see the concussion signal and he came back with a fresh bandage?!!

This type of Play acting is creeping into the game unfortunately along with every player on the pitch constantly telling the ref what to do............equally as insidious!

Yeah - neither should be happening. The talking back really bugs me - when I first started watching the game a decade or so ago if a player dared make an issue over something he was immediately silenced. I was just watching (at the same time as this) the Kings v Sharks match (I think it was that one, or maybe the Stormers/Chiefs one), and noticed a player talking at (not with) the ref after a call. I was really surprised that the ref tolerated it. For that reason alone I blame the refs for not putting their foot down and letting the players get away with the chatter.

das

well now that half of ireland are injured , thanks 6 nations thanks ...

Vous pouvez siffler dans le vent

Pourquoi tu me vouvoyes toi ?! :lol:

was saying the whole second half we'd tie with Ireland again...I just saw this score 13-13 the whole way...I'm sorry IRE didn't get the penalty on Debaty pushing off on that try attempt, but Picamoles had it, no try was going to be scored in any parallel universe on that play...I would've been disgusted would France collect a penalty after that and win on that note, that would've been robbing Ireland of a victory, glad it didn't happen, but IRE you can consider yourselves lucky on that last play - we were sooo close to getting that try and finally executed well.

Ok, my conclusions:
France
Michalak may explode soon and find his fantastic June/November form. It's just do or die when selecting him.
We rely on Picamoles (Bastareaud to some extent) too much almost like we had a Tuilagi on our team (except ours really is French ;)). Our scrum, we rely on that too much.
Huget has played so well at 15 the whole tournament, I'd like to say we have a fine fullback ourselves...he wouldn't have impacted the games so much on the wing. Good find there, good choice Mr.PSA !
Disappointingly, Clerc and esp. Fofana were nowhere to be found this match.
Trouble concluding plays, a long time tendency we have. fantastic work all the way within enemy 22, then smt fkn stupid and back to half field like nothing happened.

This STILL wasn't our grand awakening à la Française, but at least we've shown some flashes of flair. Sometime soon, we'll find our flair back, as our confidence will replenish so will our attack...Either this summer with a victory or perhaps more who knows in NZ, or perhaps after that...but this group, it's undeniable, has smt special. We're just in a bubble right now, almost like a guy in a body he doesn't know can fly, he doesn't know how to use properly...we've amnesiac rugby wise, but we'll find that strength soon...

IRELAND:
impressed. They were composed, still looked good on attack - for a European team, that's a fkn relief looking at what's happening around these days. Defense was good, kept the English scoreless, and managed to keep us pressured. Very injured, a full-strength side has enough to really compete with the big boys I think, and that Nov victory over Argentina was no fluke. Paddy Jax did well for a....13yo ?

okay, 16.

It didn't show this match, but scrum has been so much better this year, and Ireland have many elements to attack with and pressure other teams with. They're so different from the other one-dimensional teams in the 6N right now, and it's a relief we've got that diversity up North. I mean, watching the SCO WAL game earlier I was having day-dream nightmarish visions of any of these two playing like NZ or SA...the level of play was just morbidly slothful...I know I know, France is dead-last in the tournament, but remember November was just a few mths away with this same exact team and coach...

13-13, BOD(13) comes back on, thought it was going to be something magical, maybe another time...

Again what a poor performance from France. They woke up at the half time but again, nothing reassuring. Really hope that PSA leaves the job at the end of this tournament and that we put in retirement Michalak, Dussautoir, Mas, Clerc, Fritz. We need a big wash, we need young and motivated guys on the pitch.

Steve Walsh said it was a blood.

Gotcha.....never heard it!

Thought he is so much better as a ref today compared to a few years back......apart from the glances at the TV screen to see if he was on but that will probably never change!!

Again what a poor performance from France. They woke up at the half time but again, nothing reassuring. Really hope that PSA leaves the job at the end of this tournament and that we put in retirement Michalak, Dussautoir, Mas, Clerc, Fritz. We need a big wash, we need young and motivated guys on the pitch.

100% agree....

Must say that Irish coaching staff blew it. Murray coming off was crazy decision. Ryan coming off was madness as he was playin well and is pack leader. Even when Marshall and BOD went off it was lunacy having a trio of Jackson/Madigan/Earls as defensive centre it was asking to be opened. Why not move O'Mahony to centre and bring Henderson in for the concussion bin. But can't slam any player today they all put heart and body on line and hope BOD does retire this year as the man is eventually going to loose the gamble with serious injury. Hope Reddan recovers fast too a broken leg it seems

That was the strangest match I have ever seen!

Let's start from the second half when things started to get weird.

McFadden going off despite playing an extremely good game of rugby and Earls being beyond quiet on the other side.
Huget seemingly getting knocked out and then continuing to play and start fights.
Michalak taking that last kick, I was sure he'd miss it.
A Garryowen for the last penalty and Michalak's chip through.
Conor Murray being O'Driscoll's blood sub despite McFadden being on the bench.
Murray being man of the match, his kicking was very good but his service was still incredibly frustrating and O'Brien and Picamoles both raped.

So yeah, it was strange and I'm not happy or disappointed, I just don't care anymore.

That was the strangest match I have ever seen!

Let's start from the second half when things started to get weird.

McFadden going off despite playing an extremely good game of rugby and Earls being beyond quiet on the other side.
Huget seemingly getting knocked out and then continuing to play and start fights.
Michalak taking that last kick, I was sure he'd miss it.
A Garryowen for the last penalty and Michalak's chip through.
Conor Murray being O'Driscoll's blood sub despite McFadden being on the bench.
Murray being man of the match, his kicking was very good but his service was still incredibly frustrating and O'Brien and Picamoles both raped.

So yeah, it was strange and I'm not happy or disappointed, I just don't care anymore.
Did you miss match. McFadden got buckled putting body on line and was off injured so no way was he coming back. Murray pass was rapid today and was putting us on front foot all day

Did you miss match. McFadden got buckled putting body on line and was off injured so no way was he coming back. Murray pass was rapid today and was putting us on front foot all day

Sorry, I missed McFadden's injury but Murray did have slow service, whenever Jackson wanted to attack he couldn't because the ball was so slow and the French were in his face, there was a period where we had the ball at their 5 but and had a three man overlap but Murray switched sides and played slowly. He kicked well, he ran well, he defended well but his game management, in attacking positions, and service is poor and always has been.

He shouldn't have been taken off in the game that was in it but he was not man of the match.

Sorry, I missed McFadden's injury but Murray did have slow service, whenever Jackson wanted to attack he couldn't because the ball was so slow and the French were in his face, there was a period where we had the ball at their 5 but and had a three man overlap but Murray switched sides and played slowly. He kicked well, he ran well, he defended well but his game management, in attacking positions, and service is poor and always has been.

He shouldn't have been taken off in the game that was in it but he was not man of the match.
Well your entitled to opinion but he seemed to get MOTM mainly for his game management and speend of service as well as kicks. Any slow ball he got was because it came slow to him as I watched for once to see and once ball was shown he got it away and even cut out his 1 step. And McFadden was busted for at least minute on floor before he went off was hard to miss and in fairness he put body on line today.

I was completely underwhelmed by both teams. I suppose I've come to expect it from France recently though. Why is it that players from the likes of Ulster, Leinster and Munster for Ireland, and Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon, etc. for France cannot put together a decent, 80 minute performance when they are playing together? For France it is mostly selection issues obviously, but I don't get why Ireland look so average when Ulster and Leinster are so efficient in both the league and the Heineken Cup.

I'm sure I don't have to say it, but Michalak was absolutely dreadful and should never touch a blue shirt again. He's a lost cause at this stage, and I fear Saint-Andre is too. So is Kidney. Why not just sack both coaches for the final round and start building for the next six nations? Might sound silly but it's a semi-serious suggestion. Kidney has had far too long now to try and prove the 2009 grand slam wasn't a bit of a fluke. Saint-Andre seems to be similar to Martin Johnson in that he appears to have favourites. He MUST have favourites to pick such a poor fly half so many times in a row and not see him for the player he actually is at the moment.

Well your entitled to opinion but he seemed to get MOTM mainly for his game management and speend of service as well as kicks. Any slow ball he got was because it came slow to him as I watched for once to see and once ball was shown he got it away and even cut out his 1 step. And McFadden was busted for at least minute on floor before he went off was hard to miss and in fairness he put body on line today.

His game management inside the 22 was poor. In the first half we had a maul that was clearly going to be overpowered by France and he did not get the ball away when there were many opportunities, France won a scrum and cleared, in the second half we had the ball on the French 5, Murray went wide when it should have been given to forward runners and gave it to forward runners when he should have gone wide. Getting slow ball doesn't mean the opposition should be within a metre and a half of the 10 when he receives it, we didn't get the ball past the centres at all today and that wasn't Jackson's fault.

Murray had a good game but it was flawed and he wasn't as good as Picamoles, O'Brien, Heaslip or Kayser who all really stood out today.

Latest posts