• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Wales

M

munstermuffin

Ryan Jones ruled out,

Wales to be captained by Martyn Williams and Gareth Delve in at 8

1 change to Ireland squad: Trimble replaced by Kearney on bench.

Kidney I think has got it correct.
Sexton is playing better than ROG and deserved to start.
Murphy is playing well and Kearney is only back and also Kearney is slightly off form so glad this decision was made.
Buckley on bench i think is deserved to.

15 - Geordan Murphy (Leicester Tigers)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
17 - Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
18 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
19 - Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)

from http://www.irishrugby.ie/10735_20223.php

if ROG comes on then he better play better than he did on the weekend

hopefully that little break for kearney is what was needed to get him back into form. it happens to everyone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 9 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

hopefully that little break for kearney is what was needed to get him back into form. it happens to everyone[/b]
ROG played very well last week :blink: (for Ireland I on about)
That is his role though as Sexton is better player to unleash our backs.

It's time for Wales' annual one "actually pretty darn good" performance. Let's just hope Wales can put in an 80 min performance and pray that our eternal problems (lineout etc) work. Back row isn't really ideal either but oh well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 9 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That is his role though as Sexton is better player to unleash our backs.[/b]
Let me prefact this by saying I think Declan Kidney is an excellent coach.

I don't think it matters if Sexton or O'Gara plays 10, Ireland play very conservative rugby and neither will unleash the backs. The only time you'll see the ball spread wide is off set piece ball when Alan Gaffney draws up some plays. Other than that and turnover ball, 10 man, risk free rugby is the order of the day. I'd love to see Ireland utilise Tommy Bowe, Keith Earls and Rob Kearney more as strike runners.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 9 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 9 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hopefully that little break for kearney is what was needed to get him back into form. it happens to everyone[/b]
[/b][/quote]

did you see the munster match against the dragons on the weekend he had a bad game
however I think he'll be fine for ireland as he's getting better now that his position is under pressure

Hopefully with Geordan at fullback we will play more ambitiously, Kearney at 15 and D'arcy at 12 doesn't offer a whole pile of creativity like.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 9 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hopefully with Geordan at fullback we will play more ambitiously, Kearney at 15 and D'arcy at 12 doesn't offer a whole pile of creativity like.[/b]
I think kearney is very creative he always makes breaks through the smallest gaps and wiggles out of tackles. he can kick very well and his positioning is very good.

I can see where your coming from with d'arcy however he does make the gain line.

WALES: L Byrne; L Halfpenny, J Hook, J Roberts, S Williams; S Jones, R Rees; P James, M Rees, A Jones, B Davies, L Charteris, J Thomas, M Williams ©, G Delve

Reps: H Bennett, R Gill, I Gough, S Warburton, D Peel, A Bishop, T Shanklin.

My only worry is that Delve won't know the calls as he hasn't been involved with the Wales squad for three years. I do wonder wether Rees is match fit, too...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 9 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
WALES: L Byrne; L Halfpenny, J Hook, J Roberts, S Williams; S Jones, R Rees; P James, M Rees, A Jones, B Davies, L Charteris, J Thomas, M Williams ©, G Delve

Reps: H Bennett, R Gill, I Gough, S Warburton, D Peel, A Bishop, T Shanklin.

My only worry is that Delve won't know the calls as he hasn't been involved with the Wales squad for three years. I do wonder wether Rees is match fit, too...[/b]

The way things have been going in the line-out the existing players don't seem to know the calls.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 9 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 9 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 9 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

did you see the munster match against the dragons on the weekend he had a bad game
however I think he'll be fine for ireland as he's getting better now that his position is under pressure
[/b][/quote]
Well on that game coonor BAD is a compliment he was terrible
But I think ROG and BOD & co know when to perform like it different in a ML game as opposed to H'Cup or 6Nations game.
But I just think Kidney has it right like ROG had great game when he came on vs England but lets not forget while Sexton had poor kick at goal rate (kicks were difficult) but in general play he did excellent and ROG's style is different and it was what was needed at time.

And Snoop I agree with you about that but if we were to unleash then Sexton is the better man to do it and Sexton will take ball up too (while ROG doesn't) and that will create that little extra space at times too.

Can't remember Delve playing for Wales. They need another Quinnell - every team needs another Quinnell. Jones is lightweight.

Happy with Irish team. Interesting that Murphy gets the spot - Kearney will have to fight. Just a doubt on Strings' absence.

If the Wales pack holds up, then expect the same thing as last year. ROG on to kick the winning points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 9 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can't remember Delve playing for Wales. They need another Quinnell - every team needs another Quinnell. Jones is lightweight.

Happy with Irish team. Interesting that Murphy gets the spot - Kearney will have to fight. Just a doubt on Strings' absence.

If the Wales pack holds up, then expect the same thing as last year. ROG on to kick the winning points.[/b]
Murphy deserves to be in. Kearney is just back and before his injury he wasn't on-form and the fight for his place will be good for him.

This could be the game of this years 6 nations. It could be extremely entertaining with the line ups and the backs on display. I shall look forward to this one over the other games on at the weekend.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 9 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 9 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully with Geordan at fullback we will play more ambitiously, Kearney at 15 and D'arcy at 12 doesn't offer a whole pile of creativity like.[/b]
I think kearney is very creative he always makes breaks through the smallest gaps and wiggles out of tackles. he can kick very well and his positioning is very good.

I can see where your coming from with d'arcy however he does make the gain line.
[/b][/quote]
I'm genuinely sickened by these comments.

Seriously though I'd be very surprised if Ireland didn't win this one. Wales have not been performing at all this year and now Jenkins is injured. That's a massive loss.

I have two major worries about this game (excluding injuries): -

1. The Irish back row is excellent at contact and in the loose. With Martyn Williams misfiring and Delve being call in last minute, I can see this being where the game is lost. The ruck is going to be a pressure cooker and Im just not sure Martyn is up to it (as much as I want him to prove me wrong).

2. The Irish lineout is immense, and ours is awful at the moment. Thats with Rees in or not. If this hasn't been sorted out, Ireland will kick to the corners all day and put massive pressure on us.

I know I am pointing out the obvious, but its been the problem all 6N. If we run the ball when its on, then we've proved we can be very dangerous. If we start running it when its not again then it'll be the france game all over again - except the Irish wont stop. Stephen Jones needs to control it on Saturday or we are doomed!

The only reason Luke Charteris is in is to sort out the lineout. Look at how well the Dragons lineout has been going! Yet Wales ignore Charteris when it comes to throwing in.

Disappointed for Duffy. He's in exelent form and has never realy had a chance in a 6N game. He's not as good as Keaney but he can kick, step, catch, tackle and run.

And his record in the 6 nations is good played 1 scored 1.

Latest posts