• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Investec Champions Cup 23/24 - Round of 16

Well played Saints, but god did Munster look laborious as the game got on

Bulls v Saints will be interesting as I think the Bulls pack will beat them up unless they want to focus on the URC now

NLC out with concussion. is this what the player safety brigade want smh?

Yeah look ultimately not enough firepower at the end. We have players we just need to move on from now, but not sure how we do that. Niall Scannell is an honest campaigner, but we need a modern wrecking ball at hooker. The team looked understandably out on their feet in the second half. I don't blame them for that, but Coombes needs to add to his game defensively, he falls off too many tackles.

Tough end to a pretty awful European season. Plaudits to Beirne and Ahern today they were lights out.

Fair play to Saints, hope they win in SA against Bills.

image.png

Yeah look ultimately not enough firepower at the end. We have players we just need to move on from now, but not sure how we do that. Niall Scannell is an honest campaigner, but we need a modern wrecking ball at hooker. The team looked understandably out on their feet in the second half. I don't blame them for that, but Coombes needs to add to his game defensively, he falls off too many tackles.

Tough end to a pretty awful European season. Plaudits to Beirne and Ahern today they were lights out.

Fair play to Saints, hope they win in SA against Bills.
Fair play to Saints. As we get ready to board here I feel today ended the era of alot.
I'm sure it'll come out in few days but today good honest effort but ultimately we lacked power to compete

Thats more prem representation than I would have expected at the beginning of the season, Exe and Saints probably the two suprises, saints have looked really good all season and we're not bad last season, their defence has been much improved which I think is the big change from previous seasons and why for the most part they are enjoying success both in the prem and Europe, Exe with such a young squad didn't give them too much hope to start with, for me it's hard to look past a final of Toulouse vs the winner of Leinster vs La Rochelle.

I feel like it's about what I expected.

Outside of one group it didn't feel like the groups where that stacked, and the fact that the majority of teams go through to the next stage it felt like luck of the draw in terms of who you got this round.

That's not to be a Debbie downer though. Just feel 3 prem clubs in the quarters should be expected

Got to feel that only saints are expected to go through to the next round

Last edited:
Jack Willis outstanding there.

Looked like he was going pretty well. Class act.

Great experience for him and his family in France, but so frustrating that his England career's not going to be what we all hoped.

Not to burst the prem's bubble here, the three teams left have all played well and deserve their spot, but they also all have something in common.

They haven't played Leinster or a SA team and that's where the quality is in the URC currently, Leinster are top, Bulls third and then Stormers 5th but the SA teams have a very favourable schedule in from here.

Munster don't shot the bed this year or Glasgow showed some balls and it could look different.

Since Sarries got done and the quality of the league evened out a bit there's always been 2/3 prem sides in the QFs so I think this is par for them. If Saints can win (I don't give the other two a snowballs chance in hell tbh) then it's a very positive showing.

URC potentially in for a very bad year depending on Saturdays results on the contrary.

Since Sarries got done and the quality of the league evened out a bit there's always been 2/3 prem sides in the QFs so I think this is par for them.
Yeah but all the talk before the season was that English sides can't compete and that the premiership is in the toilet and a terrible product

We can be pleased at 3 sides making the quarters without thinking any of them are going to win the whole comp

Yeah but all the talk before the season was that English sides can't compete and that the premiership is in the toilet and a terrible product

We can be pleased at 3 sides making the quarters without thinking any of them are going to win the whole comp
Yeah, "England can never compete in Europe hamstrung by a salary cap of £5.5M"
=> English clubs make up 1/3 of all clubs in the competition, >1/3 in the round of 16 (most teams of any league) and >1/3 of clubs in the QFs (equal only to the T14).

The competition is a mess and a mockery of anything calling itself a "Champions Cup" (not to mention a mockery of anything calling itself "European").
Nobody in the bottom 1/2 of their league should be there, let alone the bottom quarter!

Last edited:

Latest posts