• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Investec Champions Cup 23/24 - Rd 4

At home and with a near enough full strength side I'd back us vs La Rochelle but we'll have neither and I expect a QF exit is on the way for us. We don't have the squad depth to compete in both URC and this tournament. If any SA side does it'd be the Bulls who have recruited or rather re-recruited something fierce and aren't as injury hit as us.

Only just seen this:

That's a ridiculous call, he literally couldn't do anything more - at very worst that's penalty only, but really should be play on

The dangerous part here is. And I know I have harped on about duty of care etc in other areas. But he safely got down and did everything correct. The size disapportionment is what was more issue here like physically the man could really not get much lower so like there coud be a case of now you target small 9s to run at tallest lock if they are pillars at ruck. Like say Craig Casey runs and dips slightly. That may mean a 6ft 6 or so guy would have to get down aroung the 4 and a half feet range to safely tackle.

To be honeat can't see La Rochelle making QF but if they do Leinster wil win.
La Rochelle have went backwards this season in a big way where Leinster have maintained standard and adjustments will only kick in come March

The team gained momentum after its defeat against Stormers and Gregory Alldritt brought what La Rochelle was missing.
We fixed a lot of things that were wrong, particularly in the rucks and in defense.

We will be ready for the 1/8 final, I am optimistic.

What bothers me is knowing where the 1/4 final will play because for 5 years the home advantage has been given to Leinster.

Only just seen this:

That's a ridiculous call, he literally couldn't do anything more - at very worst that's penalty only, but really should be play on

Any lower and he'd have to be chopping at his legs... then get done for no arms.

WHen the laws were changed, I said there was no legal way of stopping someone from 2 yards out with their head down. Letting them run over you and land on top of you seems to be the clever work-around, but that means their head is striking your chest before you get your arms up, which is still technically a penalty.

Any lower and he'd have to be chopping at his legs... then get done for no arms.

WHen the laws were changed, I said there was no legal way of stopping someone from 2 yards out with their head down. Letting them run over you and land on top of you seems to be the clever work-around, but that means their head is striking your chest before you get your arms up, which is still technically a penalty.
Pretty sure in the premiership those have been called a legal tackle so no foul play regardless of head contact.

It's the URC with their crap refs that are the problem.

The team gained momentum after its defeat against Stormers and Gregory Alldritt brought what La Rochelle was missing.
We fixed a lot of things that were wrong, particularly in the rucks and in defense.

We will be ready for the 1/8 final, I am optimistic.

What bothers me is knowing where the 1/4 final will play because for 5 years the home advantage has been given to Leinster.
But the home advantage is earned. So whats sad you could argue is a team that is so heavily funded couldn't secure a home qf.

I'm not a fan of Leinster but nothing was given to them. Remember La Rochelle could have prevented that by beating them too.

Nothing is given but earned

But the home advantage is earned. So whats sad you could argue is a team that is so heavily funded couldn't secure a home qf.

I'm not a fan of Leinster but nothing was given to them. Remember La Rochelle could have prevented that by beating them too.

Nothing is given but earned

Once again, you are another proof of the bad faith of the Anglo-Saxons, that's why I am not serious with you.
You tell me about the financial power of French clubs, not once have you spoken to me about the quality of La Rochelle's squad and especially the quality of the technical staff.

Leinster on a financial level is a giant, but that is not why they are part of the top 4 Europeans, just like La Rochelle, Toulouse, Leinster benefits from an environment, a technical staff and very good quality supervision. Money can't solve your problems in the rucks, it's through work.

Guys, you're going to have to stop pretending that the success of French clubs in the Champion Cup and Challenge Cup is thanks to money.

There is professional work that has been done to reform French rugby, from the training centers to the recruitment of quality players and today French rugby is reaping what it has sown.

Leinster on a financial level is a giant, but that is not why they are part of the top 4 Europeans, just like La Rochelle, Toulouse, Leinster benefits from an environment, a technical staff and very good quality supervision. Money can't solve your problems in the rucks, it's through work.
Didn't La Rochelle buy in every single player in their champions cup winning side?
I'm sure I read there were zero home grown players in the 23

There's a reason why people like sides like Toulouse and not sides like Toulon/La Rochelle

Didn't La Rochelle buy in every single player in their champions cup winning side?
I'm sure I read there were zero home grown players in the 23

There's a reason why people like sides like Toulouse and not sides like Toulon/La Rochelle
I agree with you, but there is quality work that has been done to improve the level of all the players.

It was the same for Saracens' period of domination, they did a lot of recruitment but the work of Marc MCcall was exceptional to the point that they won 3 HCUPs.

Stade Toulousain is an exception in the international rugby circuit, this club is a monument.

Frankly, you dare to compare Toulon with La Rochelle, it's too much for me. In La Rochelle there are no stars like there were in Toulon. Wilko, Mattfield, Umaga, Habana, Etzebeth, Bakkie Botha , Giteau, Sonny Bill Williams ect ect

So if I understand according to you, La Rochelle dominates Europe thanks to money!

Gregory Aldritt
Bourgharit
Boudehent
Wardi
Picquette
Botia
Hastoy
Danty
Dulin
Berjon

some were trained and others were recruited when they were average

Once again, you are another proof of the bad faith of the Anglo-Saxons, that's why I am not serious with you.
You tell me about the financial power of French clubs, not once have you spoken to me about the quality of La Rochelle's squad and especially the quality of the technical staff.

Guys, you're going to have to stop pretending that the success of French clubs in the Champion Cup and Challenge Cup is thanks to money.

There is professional work that has been done to reform French rugby, from the training centers to the recruitment of quality players and today French rugby is reaping what it has sown.
Will start at top.
Maybe educate yourself.
I am Irish. I come from a failed programme?? My province is current URC champions so we had success there. My country is Ireland which are current 6Nations champions and probably the best european national team over the last 5 years or so.

La Rochelle literally spend massive on their staff. 3 with Munster roots, 2 on more than all 4 head coaches in Ireland, and a squad that has all been purchased in. So again that is false. A staff can look good if not needing to develop players.

Leinster are not a financial giant compared to French clubs they are relatively small and benefit from a well drilled system that filters to schools level. All local and like Toulouse. La Rochelle are not in same league as those 2.

Also success of Toulon and La Rochelle is down to money because after money slows the club fades away. See that the difference between good structures and throwing money around. And I'd argue English clubs overall have much better structures academy wise etc than French.

Also for French dominance, french teams have 11, English teams have 10
And Irish teams 7. And 5 French wins were french teams (Toulon and La Rochelle) that had no local heart to it.

If you ask me you're right French teams aren't getting bang for the buck.

Look at all winners who won had local heart. They are cups won not bought and the pride is better.

I agree with you, but there is quality work that has been done to improve the level of all the players.

It was the same for Saracens' period of domination, they did a lot of recruitment but the work of Marc MCcall was exceptional to the point that they won 3 HCUPs.

Stade Toulousain is an exception in the international rugby circuit, this club is a monument.

Frankly, you dare to compare Toulon with La Rochelle, it's too much for me. In La Rochelle there are no stars like there were in Toulon. Wilko, Mattfield, Umaga, Habana, Etzebeth, Bakkie Botha , Giteau, Sonny Bill Williams ect ect

So if I understand according to you, La Rochelle dominates Europe thanks to money!

Gregory Aldritt
Bourgharit
Boudehent
Wardi
Picquette
Botia
Hastoy
Danty
Dulin
Berjon

some were trained and others were recruited when they were average
No they were bought. You can paint **** anyway you want. It still ****