• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders 2013

It is a really good team now. ****ing annoying we won't have Thorn now.

DOes anyone, Hand to god, think we've done something illegal to get these guys in, taking into cosideration everything we've talked about like previouslt over paid players freeing up cash and getting more from NZRU?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/7834727/Highlanders-aggressive-in-Super-off-season

an interesting article explaining how things have gone down

and maybe the front row? maybe even?

I think the front-row is pretty even. Hore is clearly much better than Flynn, but Owen Franks is substantially better than Fia/King, while Woodcock and Crockett are pretty even at Super Rugby level.

When you're talking front rows though, its as well to bear in mind that Fia is going to have Brad Thorn up his backside now = big advantage! Also Woodcock will be better for not having to play 80mins every week, while Cantabs look as though they'll have 2 great props, then daylight...

i'm starting to get a bad feeling, if we win the thing now everyone will just say be bought it and if we dont win we'll be chokers...starting to seem loose loose :(

Bro how long have you been following Otago for? If it wasn't for imports we'd have been complete rubbish scince the 70s.
Also Brad Thorn is only coming home.
What a miserable attitude bro. You're not Laurie Mains by any chance?

calm yourself....your not the real Keith Murdoch are you?

historically our "imports" have come down for uni as much as anything and even then i dont remember being labeled as buying the comp or having people questioning "where our money has come from", i find this a very different situation

question, does anyone know which NPC team Thorn has signed with? do nz players still have to be signed with a NPC team? i assume nonu and woodcock are staying with Harbour and Wellington?

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, that came across rather more bluntly than I meant it, maybe I should have chucked some smiley faces on it...

I'll just be happy when we finally win it, and if anyone wants to grizzle about they way we get there they can bite me.

That has taken the edge off loosing the final, awesome, player doing the the right way, turned up in town, played a full clud season to earn a spot in itm cup, players pretty much every minute of itm cup to earn a spot in super rugby

great signing, as replacing halfbacks now doesn't have to mean a change in tactics (as it did with jimmy cowan, much as i respect him), also pretty awesome for japanese rugby

Squad has been announced

Hookers: Andrew Hore, Liam Coltman, Brayden Mitchell

Props: Tony Woodcock, Jamie Mackintosh, Chris King, Ma'afu Fia

Locks: Brad Thorn, Jarrad Hoeata, Josh Bekhuis

Loose forwards: John Hardie, Tim Boys, Joe Wheeler, Nasi Manu, Jake Paringatai, Elliot Dixon

Halfbacks: Fumiaki Tanaka, Aaron Smith

First five-eights: Colin Slade, Lima Sopoaga, Hayden Parker

Midfield backs: Shaun Treeby, Ma'a Nonu, Jason Emery, Tamati Ellison, Phil Burleigh

Outside backs: Ben Smith, Hosea Gear, Kade Poki, Buxton Popoali'i, Declan O'Donnell

a couple of talking points there, i thought Joe Wheeler was a lock, Declan O'donnell has come out of the blue and pretty happy to see Burleigh back, not sure how much game time he will get i will not be worried if he is asked to step up as cover again, if anything with an actual pre season with the team you would hope he'll be even better

Parker got the nod which is good news, with smith inside and nonu outside...i think he'll be ok

LOOK AT THAT MIDFIELD!....not much more to be said on that

Only 31 players there?

No Ensor, four props (+ Coltman), three locks (+ Wheeler).

Interesting...

And of course no Adam Thomson! Where the heck has Paringatai been?

Last edited:
Think they only had to announce 28 so have left a place or two, i would expect/hope for another lock, wheeler might cover lock too.

I would rather have seen Ensor than O'Donnel

Looks like Treeby is going to get LEFT-RIGHT-OUT lol. Poor guy because he's a good little player.

The Highlanders on paper actually looking pretty good. Their back line is going to be awesome if Colin Slade can stay injury free.

Twitter -> @fredliki holla at ya boy

I'm a bit ****** off the chiefs let O'Donnel go, I would rather have him than Patrick Osborne. I think he will do well for the highlanders

I can understand people wanting to see Ensor in here. He's a classy player and kinda breaks the mold, seems tall lanky(skinny) and agile, deceptively fast. Different to most wingers you see around. heck I admit I would watch Otago games to see Ben Smith and Ensor in action.

He is a pretty skinny dude though and very young. May not hurt for him to have another year in ITM cup.

I guess with it only being 31 players they are still waiting on Adam Thomson.

Three locks is interesting though I guess Joe Wheeler is the 4th? maybe three is enough with Brad Thorn playing 80min week in week out :)

i though with Gear, buxton and poki the fourth spot would be perfect for ensor, wing/fullback cover, just time in camp with these guys really, what he could learn from Smith. three months in a profession team would beef him up a little too

I've just seen Gear has been made Vice Captain (Hore is captain), would have though someone like B smith or ellison would have been better.

Smith has been with the team longer so a bit more experience as well as being a local boy etc and ellison has a bit of history as captain I think (junior AB's and NZ Maori?)

Last edited:
not enough cabbage full stop

THIS...i thousand time this...just didn't want to be predictable and be the first to say it

...knowing the highlanders, all our loosies will get injured pre season and he will get called in and play every minute of everygame and finish the season the leading try scorer

The three locks is a concern, as while JJ does seem to have a knack of converting blindsides to great effect, I imagine Wheeler will be needed as the starting 6 rather than the forth choice lock. I havn't noticed Filo Paulo's name anywhere, maybe he could be the 32nd player?

Latest posts